The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:44:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doorways. An homage to HP Lovecraft New Doorway - Pet door  (Read 5005 times)
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« on: April 01, 2016, 09:49:22 am »

Hi folks.  First of all I'd like to apologise for being a terrible forum member. I was quite active for a while and then started a new job as a uni lecturer and most of my forum visits across the Internet really dried up.
Suffice to say that I have missed this place and I will do my best to return to being a valuable forum member Smiley

In this post I'd like to share a work in progress project.
"Doorways" is an homage to the work of HP Lovecraft. His Cthulhu Mythos has themes of Elder Gods, alternate dimensions and creeping horrors lurking at the limits of our perception. The project is an upcoming exhibition of between 15 and 20 vignettes of Cthulhuesque creatures breaking through into our world.
I'll be updating this thread as the projects continues...I'm 5 doorways in so far.
I'm 3d printing in PLA and painting in acrylics. The pieces are 10 cm wide and will all fit onto the same style of base. I'm pushing an aesthetic that includes some of the artifacts from the 3d printing process...in other words, I'm not spending too much time with smoothing and sanding Wink
I'm modelling in Sculptris, Wings 3d, Sketchup and I'm printing through CURA.
Here are a few images...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:59:59 am by spacebovine » Logged

First pants... then shoes
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:58:31 am »

What a fine work.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Lancelot C Flange
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:08:01 am »

Very nice! I like the use of different media to achieve the end result.

Cura is a lovely slicer to use, do you use an Ultimaker to print with? The two
go together wonderfully.

Have you tried Acetone dipping to smooth out the printed parts?  Can save a lot of
elbow grease.

Regards

Lancelot C Flange
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:22:40 am »

Hi there. Glad you like them.
I'm using a Printrbot Simple Metal and have had a really positive experience so far. CURA has been great, really easy to use.
I haven't tried any kind of smoothing beyond a bit of sanding. I was under the impression that acetone only worked with ABS and I've only printed in PLA. I grew up helping dad out in a plastics factory he managed and I still hate the smell of burning ABS Wink  PLA smells a lot like you are cooking popcorn Smiley
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:27:39 am »

I would just love to recreate these in lifesize somewhere in the house!

Darn fine work sir.

spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:40:01 am »

Thanks. Believe me when I say I'd like to do the same Smiley
Lancelot C Flange
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »

I must agree the smell of hot plastic isn't the most pleasant if things.

I believe that acetone will work on PLA, unfortunately I cannot say from first hand
as I left my bottle at a previous employers and didn't need to smooth my prints there, but
from what I've read it works. I would guess it's better on ABS though.

I have used Dichloromethane on small PLA parts with success, as long as you leave it a long while to
dry out. Wouldn't recommend it on any large scale as it isn't the nicest of chemicals.

I used to use an original Ultimaker linked to Cura, which would produce some really fine prints that were faultless.
Since changing jobs I now work with a makerbot Z18 which I haven't had a decent print out of yet....regardless of what
settings I use...

Bravo and keep up the fine work..

Regards

Lancelot C Flange

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:26:07 pm by Lancelot C Flange » Logged
selectedgrub
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 05:09:16 pm »

Can't wait to see the full 20
Great work so far.
Thanks for sharing.
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:39 pm »

What delightfully horrible things. Great work. The public convenience is my favorite.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Sammiannnz
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 12:28:06 am »

These are fantastically creepy, I love the imagery of nightmare things coming out or behind everyday objects.
I must admit, the amount or detail and care you have put into these is spectacular, and I can't wait to see what else you make.
I love the tentacles, and I really like the lobster from the freezer as well.
I've been doing too much in Fallout 4 and all I cant think of is terrible mutated things behind the doors. Smiley

---------------------------------------------------------
S.N (Sky Navigator) Arianna Malltham at your service. I hail from the vessel O.S.S. (Open Sky Ship) Haven, especially fitted for long distance travel.
We on the O.S.S Haven would like to welcome you, and/or your cargo on board for the journey.

---===###===---

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
~Neil Degrasse Tyson
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 01:54:29 am »

Those are marvellous, sir - well done.

I think I'll put my name down for the cell door at the moment, but like others I'm keen to see the rest.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 03:37:19 am »

Thanks so much folks. I'm glad to see that people are liking different doorways...I was hoping that people might gravitate to certain vignettes Smiley
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 07:03:11 am »

My Dear Sir -
I am quite enthralled with the octupus salesman with his feet in the door...

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 09:14:39 am »

Great work. I'm wondering if there will be hounds of Tindalos emerging from acute-angled corners in the collection.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 10:56:00 am »

Nice work there, reminds me of the hotel scene from "A Shadow over Innsmouth"

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »

Good stuff - looking forward to the rest of the set!  Grin
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 02:17:11 pm »

Thanks so much folks. I'm glad to see that people are liking different doorways...I was hoping that people might gravitate to certain vignettes Smiley

I couldn't choose a favourite because they are all so good.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 12:25:40 am »

I would second that.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:06 am »

Will there be any aliens like the Yithians or the Elder Things? Or perhaps inhabitants of the Dream World... and what about the deities of the Cthulu Mythos? Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:13 am »

Will there be any aliens like the Yithians or the Elder Things? Or perhaps inhabitants of the Dream World... and what about the deities of the Cthulu Mythos? Iä! Shub-Niggurath!

Thanks everyone.
Wilhelm, I'm going to stick with less figurative creatures... more the feel of Lovecraftian horror than specific characters. Most will be tentacle based, but the way is open for anything creepy really. I guess the real tip of the hat to Lovecraft is the idea of using doorways and portals to break through to our world Smiley
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 02:28:20 pm »

A new Doorway appears. This one is called Noir and is all about creeping shadows. Still a bit of a work in progress, but the concept of painting in the lighting and shadows seems to be working.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »

You do really good work sir. I love these! I think the freezer is probably my favorite.

Have you thought about doing mixed media? Say, using real ply or balsa wood for the office doors?

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 09:39:36 pm »

Thanks for the comment, it means a lot coming from you. I've been a long term admirer of your work.
For this project I made the decision to stick almost entirely with a 3d printed workflow. If you head to my web page at www.spacebovine.com you'll see lots of mixed media work. I normally work with ad hoc, found objects and Super Sculpey as a medium but part of the focus for the Doorways exhibition will be on the 3d printing process.

Ps. You are the second person to mention a "freezer". That piece was actually meant to be an asylum cell. It is interesting how people are bringing their own stories to these pieces. I was originally going to give each piece a one word name for the exhibition, but I'm wondering if it is best not to lock things down too much and let the audience bring their own spin to each piece.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:58:41 pm by spacebovine » Logged
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:14 am »

Thanks for the comment, it means a lot coming from you. I've been a long term admirer of your work.
For this project I made the decision to stick almost entirely with a 3d printed workflow. If you head to my web page at www.spacebovine.com you'll see lots of mixed media work. I normally work with ad hoc, found objects and Super Sculpey as a medium but part of the focus for the Doorways exhibition will be on the 3d printing process.

Ps. You are the second person to mention a "freezer". That piece was actually meant to be an asylum cell. It is interesting how people are bringing their own stories to these pieces. I was originally going to give each piece a one word name for the exhibition, but I'm wondering if it is best not to lock things down too much and let the audience bring their own spin to each piece.

Awww, you're very welcome. Smiley Oops, sorry about the door ID. Smiley
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 11:18:04 am »

No apology needed Smiley I love the different take on the story Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: