The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 01:54:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hats for steampunk mycologist  (Read 1504 times)
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 28, 2016, 08:57:47 pm »

Hi, steampunk forum,

I'm new to steampunk. I was told to come up with a persona to base my clothes on, so I came up with a mycologist called Dr. Pileus Copperstipe. Thus far I want to have is a leather lab coat, some gloves, some high boots, and a breathing mask. I also want to have a tank that appears to be pumping fluid into my neck, and a load of mushrooms in bottles all over my clothes, as well as a water tank with a pump to feed them. The thing I'm stuck on is that I want somewhere for mushrooms to grow from, either a hat, or shoulder pads or something. What do you guys think? What should I go with? What type? Recommend any shops?

Thanks for reading.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:33:20 pm »

Dear Dr Copperstripe

A persona may make it easier to decide what you want to wear, but it's by no means necessary.  Many find the persona will evolve and change over time, many never even think about it - too busy enjoying being a steampunk, so don't get too hung up on 'what should I be wearing'.  It sounds to me as if you've got some interesting ideas so why not play about making a few different things and see which works best? 
If you like the idea of a hat have you considered a bowler, then maybe things could be growing in the brim? And you can get a cheap one from just about any fancy dress shop.

Regards
Cora Courcelle

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:07 pm »

Hi, steampunk forum,

I'm new to steampunk. I was told to come up with a persona to base my clothes on, so I came up with a mycologist called Dr. Pileus Copperstipe. Thus far I want to have is a leather lab coat, some gloves, some high boots, and a breathing mask. I also want to have a tank that appears to be pumping fluid into my neck, and a load of mushrooms in bottles all over my clothes, as well as a water tank with a pump to feed them. The thing I'm stuck on is that I want somewhere for mushrooms to grow from, either a hat, or shoulder pads or something. What do you guys think? What should I go with? What type? Recommend any shops?

Thanks for reading.

first of all welcome to steampunk and welcome to the forums!
I love the idea for the sona, it;s creative and I like it.
as for advice...I might come up with something later... maybe

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:43:30 pm »

Thanks for the advice, Ms. Courcelle.
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:45:19 pm »

Hi, steampunk forum,

Thanks for reading.

first of all welcome to steampunk and welcome to the forums!
I love the idea for the sona, it;s creative and I like it.
as for advice...I might come up with something later... maybe
I eagerly await your response Smiley
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:53:46 pm »

is all my mind currently does when combining "hat" with "mushroom"

I think you could so some amazing things with shoulder pats and fungi, though.
And you could make green moldy spots or something.
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 11:11:53 pm »

Russian scientist mushroom looks like this

But seriously, what would study fungi, it is necessary to collect them. And that means you need a wicker basket or box.

Or are You just going mould to breed?

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 11:23:11 pm »

is all my mind currently does when combining "hat" with "mushroom"

I was actually thinking of having something like that made out of leather, but probably shouldn't.

But seriously, what would study fungi, it is necessary to collect them. And that means you need a wicker basket or box.

Or are You just going mould to breed?

Good point on the basket, I was thinking of having a micologist who grows his mushrooms, but also does the occasional collection, so he has a small kit for collecting spores.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 03:24:14 am »

Wooden backpack with a lot of various types; for cures, eating, tea......
Also, containing tools, etc.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:08 am »

Love the name, Dr. Copperstipe, and I second the suggestion of a bowler.  Whatever you do choose, it would fabulous if you could cover the underside of the rim with frills, although that would make handling the hat problematic.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:45:01 am by Quin » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 07:18:33 am »

Take a look at the illustration for grow your own mushrooms. Perhaps a top hat or a stovepipe (extra tall top hat) made to look like a tree trunk with mushrooms growing out of it.  There are various ways to do textured bark depending on which tree you would like to copy.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 08:38:07 am »

Or a pith helmet with bracket fungus growing on it
After all you'll need to travel to collect.

And possibly some growing on you?
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 02:14:45 pm »

Love the name, Dr. Copperstipe, and I second the suggestion of a bowler.  Whatever you do choose, it would fabulous if you could cover the underside of the rim with frills, although that would make handling the hat problematic.

I could probably gill it at the bottom.

Take a look at the illustration for grow your own mushrooms. Perhaps a top hat or a stovepipe (extra tall top hat) made to look like a tree trunk with mushrooms growing out of it.  There are various ways to do textured bark depending on which tree you would like to copy.

I could probably do that, but would it not move away a bit from the steampunk theme? Also, should it have a canopy on it?

Or a pith helmet with bracket fungus growing on it
After all you'll need to travel to collect.

I'll have a different uniform for expeditions.

And possibly some growing on you?

Well that's the plan, I'll have some real ones in bottles and on the hat and shoulder pads, then some artificial ones growing out of my skin, hence the tank pumping into my neck.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »

The trick with the bark effect is to still keep the hat shape clear and obvious.  Many bark effects done with cloth can echo fabrics of the Victorian and Edwardian eras.  So, for instance. a silver birch in pale silk frayed to give effect and painted to indicate growth marks will look like a battered pale coloured top hat with what might be mistaken for feathers until you get closer. Then people will see plant life.

I also wonder about creating an Umbrella that resembles a large mushroom.
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 04:56:31 pm »

Wooden backpack with a lot of various types; for cures, eating, tea......
Also, containing tools, etc.
That makes sense, rather than a tool belt, so I can have space for more mushrooms? Or maybe a log carried on my back with mushrooms growing from it.

I also wonder about creating an Umbrella that resembles a large mushroom.

Would men be seen with an umbrella?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 08:13:38 pm »

Depends if they don't mind their clothes getting wet!  But an umbrella can also be a weapon or a handy tool as well as just something to keep off the rain. 
Personally speaking I would avoid a hat shaped like a mushroom in favour of something that looks as if mushrooms have just spontaneously taken over, so one would have a mixture of civilisation overlaid by nature.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:34 pm »

Depends if they don't mind their clothes getting wet!  But an umbrella can also be a weapon or a handy tool as well as just something to keep off the rain. 
Personally speaking I would avoid a hat shaped like a mushroom in favour of something that looks as if mushrooms have just spontaneously taken over, so one would have a mixture of civilisation overlaid by nature.

I agree with this statement
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 10:35:24 pm »

I also wanted to say that the hat of mushroom it is too not natural.

But I remembered one convincing image of a "man of mushroom". Maybe he will help You.

The movie "the Island of Dr. Moreau" (1996)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:59:07 pm by morozow » Logged
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 04:18:52 pm »

So the general consensus of this thread is:
  • Wear a bowler hat or top-hat covered in mushrooms as opposed to a mushroom hat
  • Wear a basket rucksack
  • Have a mushroom shaped umbrella

Okay, thanks for the help guys Smiley
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 05:25:38 pm »

... and don't forget to be splendid and have fun!
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 06:05:04 pm »

Goes without saying really Grin
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 09:36:20 pm »

Top hats seem to have a lot of spare room. Why not make one that has a compartment with mushrooms growing inside.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 09:42:47 pm »

Also for inspiration, perhaps look up the Comte de Champignac, the mad scientist/mycologist.
Pileus Copperstipe
Deck Hand

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »

I was just thinking of getting a cotton hat and actually colonisng it with mycelium? What do you mean by a "compartment"?

Also just looked him up, I was going for something similar anyway.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer
United States United States

fulgur adducere

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 11:36:50 pm »

Didn't someone make a top hat on here that was cut away and had plants growing in it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: