The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 07:06:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this be Steampunk?  (Read 609 times)
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« on: March 28, 2016, 05:04:46 am »

Obviously my story has at least some of the proper elements, but could the alternate universe part really be considered Steampunk?

It takes place in Southern California (someone once said write what you know, and I lived there for about 65 years). It jumps back and forth between the actual world and one concocted from my own particular fantasies. After all if one can have a time machine, why not a device that navigates between alternate universes?  Actually this was developed in yet another universe.

In the alternate world this is a country called New Alba and, particularly in the southern part, is a rain forest.

Scotland is a sovereign nation and settled the west coast of America, between San Francisco and what is basically the Mexican border, as we know it. On the North and the East is the USA. New Alba has the same kind of relationship with their mother country that Canada does with the UK in our universe

The Native population have an Asian, (mostly Japanese) background  and are called “elves” because they are rather short, have Spock-like ears, are somewhat empathetic, and very proficient with natural remedies; but possess no magical capabilities.

The most modern technology is very late 1990s (e.g. cell phones and PCs) but with a steampunk look. Fashions are typical Steampunk. The newest music is Big Ban jazz. Current architecture is late Victorian. The latest vehicles look to be circa late 1920s and are electrically powered, thanks to Tesla’s development of a way to transport power via the air like radio waves. Air travel is via airship.

Sherlock Holmes is real, as is a semi-retired James Bond (the hero’s boss). However John F Kennedy was merely a fictional character in a series of popular politically themed novels; and was not assassinated.      
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:42:06 am by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:33:59 pm »

Sounds like Fantasy would be a better description.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:21:19 pm »

Although I would agree that it does sound more fantasy, I did find the premise intriguing.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:07:52 am »

Many thanks. Appreciate the input.

My story involves a former Marine and ex bounty hunter who is confined to a wheel chair due to a shooting incident that left his lady friend dead. The female lead is sent from my fantasy dimension to recruit him to lead a team of four men, two women, somewhat along the lines of the Impossible Mission Force, but to fight organized crime.

Our hero goes to yet a third parallel universe, the same one where the dimension hoping technology was invented, for the operation that enables him to walk again. He then returns to her world for recuperation and training. Much of the events in this universe takes place at this time, mostly as an excuse for some descriptions.

Armed with some vehicles and gadgets that would leave Mr Bond green with envy, they embark on their first mission. Ironically, however, unlike the 007 movies, they only employ a very small number of them.    

Naturally (?) the two main characters fall in love and, after destroying the crime family, return to her world, and get married.
There is a brief epilogue that has them back in our world again and off on the beginning of a new mission        

This can never be published as I’m not good with action scenes, and only slightly better with dialogue. A good deal of the story is plagiarized, mostly from Robert A, Heinlein; John D. Macdonald, of Travis Magee fame; and Don Pendleton, creator of the Executioner series.    
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:02:18 am by creagmor » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:21:37 pm »

Stories don't have to be published to provide enjoyment.  I like making up stories but, other than an occasional short story, I know they are never going to make it in the real world.  It's like having an extra set of friends who are there when I need them to be but don't mind being put 'on hold' when life is hectic.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:46:35 pm »

How very true. When I've nothing else to do I always enjoy going back over it and fiddling with little bits here and there.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:46:48 am »

Dang I wish I remembered the book name, but it's something like "How the Scots invented Everything;" it's a real book, but you'd be surprised how much they got into...Wink. Interesting idea - instead of the Scots setting up in California instead of Canada (and apparently) North Caroline...Wink But it's your world. Why not?

I tend to let ideas percolate in the 'world' of a book; little vignettes between major or minor characters. They throw them in when you get stuck.

Sounds like fun.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:58:54 am »

The closest thing to that of which I am aware is How The Scots invented The Modern World. I used to have a copy of it but the borrower never returned it, and now she's on the other side of the world. BTW there is also a book entitled How The Irish Saved Civilization. This mostly deals with the multitude of books and other writings that were preserved by the Irish monks during the dark ages.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: