The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 07:04:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What area of the defence force would air ships fall under?
Navy
Army
Air Force
None of the above

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Ships in defence forces  (Read 1264 times)
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 08:54:17 am »

With the Akron and Makon though it's important to remember that the US had no airforce at that time, it was all either army or navy. The USAF wasn't set up until 1947.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 10:26:27 am »

As a civilian I have been yelled at by Naval Captains, Air Force and Army Generals, and Submarine Commanders. The Submarine Commanders are definitely scarier dudes.

That doesn't sound like much fun. I hope you got paid well for all that yelling you had to endure. I'd have to get paid a lot of money to be constantly abused by someone with an attitude problem Grin

19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 11:37:16 pm »

What job do you do, that you get yelled at by all four? Contractor?

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 06:16:02 am »

Ok Kids, it's story time!

Once upon a time, I was formerly working for several different Defense Contractor Corporations over the years. I bailed out in the mid 90's and got into one of the "big players" in commercial unixland.

search wikipedia for the an/ayk series, 1750A series,  & you'll see some of the aircraft computers I worked on. Some you'll never hear about.

The yelling was actually pretty funny ( to me ).  a program would oft' get headed by a retired officer  usually after it was already behind schedule.

There seemed to be 2 sorts - "those who led" and "those who yelled" .

"those who yelled" liked to hold weekly staff meetings with all players standing up in a conference room,
then start marching up and down "dressing down" various people. It really had the opposite effect than
what was desired; the Boss acted as tho he were still in command and the staff were his assigned officers
who had no choices. Like leaving.

Unfortunately the Boss did not understand any of the technical issues, so trying to explain ANYTHING
was like teaching Nuclear Physics to a Cat. Nor did the Boss understand how to motivate civilian techno-nerds.

Common military catch phrases were constantly spewed such as
   "I will not listen to excuses!"
   "This is unacceptable!"
   "I will not tolerate failure!"

These types rarely succeeded at their "leadership jobs". "The troops" were De-Motivated.  Many left, taking their expensive clearances
( that can take 6 to 8 months to get and that the company paid dearly for) with them  . See, it's "the person" who gets cleared, and
those clearances last for many years.  A person who already has their expensive hard-to-get "tickets" is REALLY desirable!

And thus I am reminded of Will Smith in "Men In Black":
     " Huh , Best-of-the-best-of-the-best! Sir!"
     "Captain America over there doesn't know why we're here either."

On the other hand, on a different project, we were pulling 18 hr days and late night shifts modifying, compiling, testing,
and integrating code to burn for the Box Under Test for the "Sell-Off" only days away. Arounf midnight I was approached
by our corp Vice Pres, a retired Sr Naval Officer. He personally brought us 2 pizzas and a variety of sodas, introduced himself,
asked how things were going.

The man actually listened, and then asked if we could think of anything he could do to help!

I thought , and told him that if our jobs had higher priority on the mainframe, they would run faster and we could get
5 or 6 runs per night instead of only 2. He nodded, went away and we thought oh well, at least the pizza was a nice thought.

In ten minutes he came back (surprise!) and the phone by our terminals rang.
He picked it up, relayed our logon id's to the guy on the other end and in minutes our first run finished.
The VP told us that for the rest of the week we should call this number and tell them who we were and we were starting our runs.
Everybody else but us was kicked off the mainframe for the rest of the night!

Because of that, we got the software integrated, tested, and installed on time.

And that, kids , is the differrence between yelling and leading!

As a result, when folks complain about "stress" in my current workplace I can tell them:

"Stress? This ain't no stress! So a customer has their computers down and is losing thousands of dollars a minute.
It's only "virtual money". No lives are at stake, No one is gonna die. "

"In my prior life I have been yelled at by Generals; In my prior life if our code failed, airplanes fell out of the sky and
hundreds of people could die! "

"Besides, it ain't like  we're  getting shot at in Azerbaijan! "

"Hell, the worst that happens here is some customer VP starts having a stroke - just put him on the horn-  I can explain things,
calm him down, keep him informed with hourly status reports,  and get him off their Sys Admins neck so we can get the problem fixed."
(that, by the way , is one of my specialties: calming VP's and explain how the world works in small words so they can understand)

Thus endeth the story.

Later I'll tell you how I was mauled by a bear and left for dead....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: