The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 01:24:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Touches of Steampunk....  (Read 518 times)
Senior Engineer
Gunner
Australia Australia

We are the people our mothers warned us about!

« on: March 16, 2016, 12:51:59 am »

Last Sunday we commemorated the 50th Anniversary of Studebaker ceasing car manufacture by having a funeral and wake.

https://youtu.be/Cr8T6CE_ZgQ

Just as we had overcome a bad situation, one of the crew said, 'it could be worse'. Then lo and behold it did get worse.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 02:59:26 am »

An interesting journey
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:49:13 am »

Interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:11:52 pm »

They are a grim faced bunch
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:16:55 am »

I'd like to know who designed the Avanti. Decades later it still looks surprisingly up to date

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 08:27:42 am »

I'd like to know who designed the Avanti. Decades later it still looks surprisingly up to date

I'm not sure I'd agree entirely on it's transposition to the future. The Avanti looked modern to the eyes of the period, very much like the concept Ford Mustang looked very radical at the time.  Yet I know of more "up to date" industrial designs of the 1960s.  Arthur C. Clarck and Stanley Kubrik's 2001: A Space Odyssey, released in 1968, had very impressive industrial design for the spaceship, spaceplanes, and computers. That makes the Avanti Studebaker look "old school" in comparison.

The Avanti was designed by Raymond Loewy's team of Tom Kellogg, Bob Andrews, and John Ebstein

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Avanti
Design
The Avanti was developed at the direction of the automaker's president, Sherwood Egbert. "The car's design theme is the result of sketches Egbert "doodled" on a jet-plane flight west from Chicago 37 days after becoming president of Studebaker in February 1961."[9] Designed by Raymond Loewy's team of Tom Kellogg, Bob Andrews, and John Ebstein on a 40-day crash program, the Avanti featured a radical fiberglass body design mounted on a modified Studebaker Lark Daytona 109-inch convertible chassis powered by a modified 289 Hawk engine.
The designers worked feverishly and in just eight days finished a "clay scale model with two different sides: one a two-place sports car, the other a four-seat GT coupe."[10] Tom Kellogg, a young California stylist hired for this project by Loewy, "felt it should be a four-seat coupe."[10] "Loewy envisioned a low-slung, long-hood/short-deck semi-fastback coupe with a grilleless nose and a wasp-waisted curvature to the rear fenders, suggesting a supersonic aircraft."[11]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: