The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:24:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York's Michelangelo Tower: The Comeback Of Art Deco  (Read 518 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:27 pm »

Quite Steamy For A Building Of The Futur:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3360919/Architect-designs-stunning-102-story-skyscraper-heart-Manhattan-facade-gargoyles-bronze.html

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 05:09:29 am »

Most Interesting , thanks chicar .

More Gaudy than Michalangelo IMHO, but definitely eye-catching.

However, I do not believe this aspiring architect took necessary aerodynamics of the winds in NYC , especially during a
Nor'Easter. But It would be grand fun to watch a bronze wing get torn off the facade and fly down 5th Ave !

yhs
prof mvl

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:50 am »

I'm not sold on the architecture being Art Deco altogether. Granted, the period lent itself toward Totalitarian styles, but it looks busy to me.  I always thought of Art Deco as being far more geometric, with emphasis on "modern" materials.

A humble example of geometry used in the building is the Frost Bank Tower in my hometown of Austin:

which reminds me of the Chrysler Building:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:24:41 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 06:17:18 pm »

Yes, that building looks like something out of the Schumacher Batman movies. Modern gothic gone wrong.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: