The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:48:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Customizing these goggles! Any suggestions?  (Read 961 times)
Clicks
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Eyyyy!

« on: March 05, 2016, 08:51:18 pm »

Hi folks, apologies is this thread is wrongly-placed- very new to the forum.

I recently purchased a pair of ArcOne 'The Fly' goggles, was after a pair with larger/more googly lenses as I am planning on putting together a new outfit, however I haven't really modded anything successfully before. I've access to most paints and tools being at an art university, so the skies practically the limit with this one. I was initially planning to make them look bronze (possibly something that would look quite brushed/worn) but I'm not entirely sure of what paints to use or if I should use a gloss, etc so any tips/helpful tutorials will be greatly appreciated!

For size reference, the goggle's lens diameter is just a little over two and a half inches.

I'm also open to any other miscellaneous idea you may have for these too, thanks all!
Harbinger_99
Deck Hand
United States United States

Gravatar

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:13:19 pm »

Before you customize you may want to consider what the character who wears them does. For example: For a pirate captain you might want a shiny gold color with little bits of filigree but with grease stains to show that they are used and abused. Or for an inventor you could go with a simple copper or brass and add hose clamps with clip on loupes. If you are having trouble deciding what accessories or colors to use just ask, your fellow Steampunks will be more than happy to help. When you decide on a persona and choose what colors and accessories that character would have on their goggles I would recommend using Citadel paints, they're a bit pricey but well worth it.  Grin
Clicks
Deck Hand

Eyyyy!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:19:11 pm »

Before you customize you may want to consider what the character who wears them does. For example: For a pirate captain you might want a shiny gold color with little bits of filigree but with grease stains to show that they are used and abused. Or for an inventor you could go with a simple copper or brass and add hose clamps with clip on loupes. If you are having trouble deciding what accessories or colors to use just ask, your fellow Steampunks will be more than happy to help. When you decide on a persona and choose what colors and accessories that character would have on their goggles I would recommend using Citadel paints, they're a bit pricey but well worth it.  Grin

Ah, I hadn't really considered the character I was building up. I guess I would be going for a sort of wanderer/traveler for the moment until I get a little more comfortable and confident with the culture!

I was actually looking at a few clip-on loupes too, there's vents on the side of them which would make it easy for them to add on. But thank you for the paint suggestion, I shall look into it!
Clicks
Deck Hand

Eyyyy!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 05:59:19 pm »

Hey folks, I've come to realize that the foam inlays fitted inside the goggles are a bit flimsy, and I'd like to replace it- is there any tutorials or methods that can help me with this? I've had a quick search and I can't find anything specifically tailored towards this. Any help here would be appreciated!
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:13:21 am »

I take it to mean the foam that makes them comfortable to wear against your face. You could go to your local craft and hobby store, and feel around on their foam until you find one you like.

Lay it out on a table, lay the goggles on top, maybe one lens at a time with the other hanging off the table edge, and trace around the existing foam. Cut your new foam along the lines.

Peel off the old foam and glue in the new. Test a scap first. Some glues will eat foam.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:20:50 pm »

Why does there need to be a character involved?

Granted, that can help focus the design, but there is no need to have a character / persona, other than yourself in your Steampunk clothes.

Have a look in the goggles threads on this forum for ideas is the best advice I'd give you.  See what you like & what you don't like & take it from there.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 10:13:54 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
That's a very good question: why does a character need to be involved?
When I started in Steampunk, August of 2014, I immediately knew who my avatar was, what she did, how she dressed.
Obviously, as I learn more, thanks in great part from on-going and past discussions here  at Brass Goggles, my accoutrements change, become more expressive of my character.

I can't imagine making a air of goggles or even the edging of an underskirt without it reflecting Prof. Cecily's personality. Yet Sludge Van Diesel's question made me think of what it would be like to make something to be simply Steampunk.

No,  I can't imagine it.
But that doesn't mean it's the only way to create something. After, the only unbreakable rule here is to enjoy yourself and be splendid.

All the best with your goggles, CLicks!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 05:18:02 pm »

Perhaps to fix the foam, craft foam covered in leather or fabric glued in to place would work to make it comfortable and stylish.

I have found character is another way to think about personal style.  I don't act in character often but it gives me an idea of what works.  I have found that as I built my steampunk wardrobe I adopted a loose sort of character that helps me get an idea of what pieces work together.  Now I have a green, black and slightly sinister wardrobe that I can play mix and match with.  Whenever I add a new big clothing piece or accessory I know I can make a few outfits without having to build to build a new outfit every time.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:25:10 pm »

I have found that a theme gradually evolves as time goes on.  I have my jungle outfit, a fishy outfit, Edwardian lady and so on.  But I also think about the weather.  Next weekend it will be a winter outfit, but I also have made things for indoors only and for hot weather.  Being comfortable is so important to me.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:00:06 am »

... I have found that as I built my steampunk wardrobe I adopted a loose sort of character that helps me get an idea of what pieces work together.  Now I have a green, black and slightly sinister wardrobe that I can play mix and match with.  Whenever I add a new big clothing piece or accessory I know I can make a few outfits without having to build to build a new outfit every time.

I have tried to work along those lines myself, having steampunk 'wardrobes'. Basic black, which can go black and red or black and green according to need, plus a set of browns for exploring/archeological mucking about.

All very well, til last week when a second-hand shop had an 'everything in the shop for one euro' sale and I actually found a divine mid-Victorian gown from a theatrical company IN MY SIZE.
For one euro.

However, it's in a colour I never wear- dark blue trimmed with black velvet ribbon.
I'll learn to love dark blue, of course. And, because I patiently made a set of accesories (cape, reticule, muff, neckpiece and  hat) in black velvet and have black boots and gloves,  this unique gown can slip into my steampunk characterisation without skipping a beat.

Even my time machine fitted onto an armbracer is bascially black. With bronze and copper fittings.

I'll be wearing this kit in the tea duelling I'll officiate next month in a crazy bookshop which is hosting a steampunk themed 'Noche de Libros' with Dickensian punch, literary games, readings from steampunk literature (in Spanish and English) and, of course, tea duelling!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »

(snip)

I was actually looking at a few clip-on loupes too, there's vents on the side of them which would make it easy for them to add on. But thank you for the paint suggestion, I shall look into it!

I was wondering of there is something you could do to feature these vents - maybe build an ersatz mechanism around their frame to represent a steam driven autofocus for the lenses?

(snip)

All very well, til last week when a second-hand shop had an 'everything in the shop for one euro' sale and I actually found a divine mid-Victorian gown from a theatrical company IN MY SIZE.
For one euro.

(snip)

Well, I think I should be wearing green at the moment to go with my streak of jealousy  Wink On a more serious note, please do post pictures once the ensemble is complete.

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:28:27 pm »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I've been around to the bookshop and it's far to small to accommodate the kit. I'll have to wait for a museum visit or similar to wear the thing.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: