The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 12:56:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauntlet advice?  (Read 595 times)
Frogswim
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 05, 2016, 11:08:52 am »

Hello.  Grin I'm working on making a steampunk gauntlet. I've done armor before, but i've never done a full, continuious arm rig. I want to take this all the way up the arm. Does anyone have any good guides on connecting the pauldrons and upper arm, to the lower arm? while concealing the elbow? As you can see here, i've got a long way to go before I get there, but considering I did this in about a week, I want to start research now.

All feedback on what it looks like now is welcome. Smiley
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:06:37 pm »

I'm afraid this is not something I've ever tried so I can't offer advice off the top of my head, but I would like to say your work so far looks excellent. Are you working with leather? If so, even more impressive, as that is a tough medium to work with.

Yours,
Miranda.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 12:13:47 am »

You could make a chain mail piece to join the upper and lower arm sections. Or do a multi-segment articulation. Just look at how mediæval armour was assembled.

Therion Arms has some really good photos of modern day reproductions.

--
Keith
Frogswim
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 01:41:58 am »

Thanks! Yes, it's leather. Smiley I made a full suit a few years ago, and am going to redo it. here's a picture of what the arm looks like now.
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12794368_10153289159316875_6461194803694226262_n.jpg?oh=256598ff88534be285511dc6e7f7db69&oe=574B5B14

Honestly, I thought about using springs.

The other thing i wanted to do was use pistons (IE a baloon pump) But i feel that's a little overdone.

My character is an interplanetary miner, so that's kind of the theme im going to go for theirin.

Thank for the advice on the chain maille too. I'll have to check that out. That actually might help quite a bit.

Do you guys think i should continue to go up the arm until I get to near the elbow before I expand to the upper arm? I'm torn. On one hand, I feel if i keep tacking on it'll look bad, but on the other, tacking on is all i've been doing thus far.  Grin

Thanks!

Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:44:01 pm »

I like what you've done so far.

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/ has patterns for mediaeval style armour that you may be able to adapt to your purpose. The forum there is also full of information and researching it will give you tips and tricks for working out a solution. Also s earch for tutorials on "leather larp armor" may be useful. Usually, the lower parts of armour for the arm are attached to the upper portions by rivets or leather straps.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:35:35 pm »

...Honestly, I thought about using springs.

The other thing i wanted to do was use pistons (IE a balloon pump) But i feel that's a little overdone...

Springs would not look out of place at joints.

It's not that pistons, especially connecting the vambrace and rerebrace, are overdone, it's just that they're the perfect 19th Century augmentation for the elbow and knee joints.

I'd say STOP! work on the gauntlet itself. It is almost too busy as it is. Work on the vambrace, couter, rerebrace, and pauldron (if your plans include that last piece). I would advise continuing the styling of the gauntlet all the way up to continue the current aesthetic, unless you want to make it look like pieces have been repaired/replaced due to mining incidents or battle.

Oh, and did I mention, nice work?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: