The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:52:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Gun  (Read 1033 times)
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:47 pm »

This is loosely based on a prop from the UK tv series Jekyll and Hyde, I say loosely based just in case you've seen the original which was a shiny thing of beauty. Having seen it on screen for seconds at a time I though "must make one" having then seen close ups on the prop makers web site I thought "Not a cat in hells chance!" But as I'm prone to obsession I had to have a go. It was something of an exercise in "what/how can I do this" so with some down loaded photos for reference and an assortment of plastic pipe, styrene sheet hardwood offcuts and good old MDF and acrylic paint this is what you get.
Though it doesn't bare comparison with the original I have to say I'm extremely pleased with it. I should make more stuff  Grin

Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:38:44 pm »

I should make more stuff  Grin

Yes you should!

oprion
Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:34 pm »

How did you do all them nice filigree decorations?
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 12:47:26 am »

Good filigree is hard to come by, I have found.

That is outstanding work!!

Got any WIP? Grin

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, sorry Drew no WIP, I either seem to be too busy for photos or just forget these days. However, I'll tell you how I did it, more or less.
As I didn't have any good reference photos for the size and I tend to do things by eye anyway, much easier than all this fiddly measuring stuff, my first attempts were oversized so I started again, so I took a photo of the bits from that attempt. the main body was sawn from a scrap of mdf, the barrel was a piece of old plastic waste pipe, after making the cut outs I built up the barrel with extra section of pipe glued in place, any gaps in the pipe and the curved detail on the end were done with DAS air drying clay.
The trigger guard and hammer were cut from hardwood scraps on the second go as were the handle grips, the odd shaped piece in the picture, between the hammer and grip was re cut from styrene sheet, two pieces one on either side of the gun frame under the barrel.
As I said in my OP this was an exercise in finding ways to get the result I wanted, the original gun was engraved with ornamental patterns, I puzzled over this for a while, as it happened I'd recently bought some corner embellishments for boxes and book covers, that's one in the bottom left of the photo, they're thin metal stampings, easily cut with scissors, eureka! Not so easy to glue and hold in place, I stuck my finger to the end of the barrel with superglue.
I painted it all black, dry brushed with metallic copper over brushed with a dry brushing of "Brazen Brass" from Games Workshop.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 05:02:50 pm »

Thank you for the parts photo; it could serve as a basis for a pattern if someone wanted to reproduce your work. I'm impressed that you made "metal" from jigsaw-cut wood; I probably would have used epoxy putty if I'd done it myself.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 05:58:01 pm »

Thank you for the parts photo; it could serve as a basis for a pattern if someone wanted to reproduce your work. I'm impressed that you made "metal" from jigsaw-cut wood; I probably would have used epoxy putty if I'd done it myself.
You're welcome. I use whatever is to hand/most convenient or will do the job.  Grin
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:04:48 pm »

That has turned out very well indeed!
Certainly more than the sum of its parts, some of which I would never have imagined.

You should indeed make more!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:16 pm »

That has turned out very well indeed!
Certainly more than the sum of its parts, some of which I would never have imagined.

You should indeed make more!

HP
Thanks Hektor, I'm thinking of trying to make some with a similar look and "feel" though not so obviously derived from the TV show gun.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 02:25:04 am »

Actually,  that one photo was good enough (but not recommended for future project WIP Wink). I'm fairly adapt at filling in the blanks.
Again, nice work!
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 08:58:54 am »

Actually,  that one photo was good enough (but not recommended for future project WIP Wink). I'm fairly adapt at filling in the blanks.
Again, nice work!
Thanks Drew, I'll try and do a WIP next time Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: