The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 04:27:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tv shows..?  (Read 1266 times)
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 06:20:45 am »

Finally, the Murdoch Mysteries will be aired here, commencing soon. Will see what all the hype has been about - the trailers look really interesting.

Well the Murdoch character himself is basically a walking block of wood and the romance between him and the lady doctor totally lacks chemistry, but all the other characters more than make up for the anemic leads. They even find a way to work Arthur Conan Doyle AND Sherlock Holmes into it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 11:13:23 am »

Nothing's perfect!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 06:06:47 pm »

I thought of two more children's shows. Spellbinder, mostly the second season, and Legend of Korra.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Harbinger_99
Deck Hand
United States United States

Gravatar

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 09:21:09 pm »

"Murdoch Mysteries" wholly embraces steampunk.

Murdoch Mysteries is definitely embracing of many steampunk sensibilities but I don't feel as though it goes far enough to be truly called Steampunk.
Victor Charlington
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 11:34:19 pm »

I've had a little think about TV programs for children, and I seem to remember a Hungarian, Bulgarian or maybe Austrian TV program with a strange little hobbity bear, a woman with green hair and a clockwork goldfish... I don't recall the title, but it did seem SP-ish... maybe..?
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 02:08:00 pm »

Finally, the Murdoch Mysteries will be aired here, commencing soon. Will see what all the hype has been about - the trailers look really interesting.

Well the Murdoch character himself is basically a walking block of wood and the romance between him and the lady doctor totally lacks chemistry, but all the other characters more than make up for the anemic leads. They even find a way to work Arthur Conan Doyle AND Sherlock Holmes into it.

And Nikola Tesla, Prince Alfred, Buffalo Bill Cody, dinosaurs, Houdini, werewolves, The Eugenics Society, vampires, Jack London, The Mummy, time travel, Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, Bat Masterson, HG Wells, UFO style airships, submarines, steam powered laser beams, flying machines, flying suits and a rocket to the Moon.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 11:30:17 pm »

And Nikola Tesla, Prince Alfred, Buffalo Bill Cody, dinosaurs, Houdini, werewolves, The Eugenics Society, vampires, Jack London, The Mummy, time travel, Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, Bat Masterson, HG Wells, UFO style airships, submarines, steam powered laser beams, flying machines, flying suits and a rocket to the Moon.

And giant killer robots run amok.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 01:16:36 am »

The Munsters were steampunk before their time. They even had rat rods

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 12:04:16 am »

It seems there's a new tv show in the works.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/antonia-thomas-star-spark-abc-pilot-1201719063/
Joseph-Thornton
Deck Hand

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 05:31:39 pm »

SP has a wide umbrella of sub genres that fall under the general title. But for me once you surpass steam technology, it isn't "SP" anymore.

The Munsters was a great comedy about a monster family living alongside normal people in a normal world. This is not SP to me. And their cars though very cool were gas powered.

I am enjoying Firefly a lot while I am still looking for quality SP to watch. But again, we've advanced beyond steam tech. To me this is cyberpunk at best or sci-fi / space fantasy.

These are great genres. I grew up on horror as well as Star Wars / Star Trek (and too many others to name). But when I am looking for SP, I want the settings and tech to stay at the steam / gear / coal / gunpowder fantasy level.

For me, Dr Who isn't SP.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 03:27:28 am »

Legend was released on DVD just this past January. About $10 at Barnes & Noble. No extras (not even subtitles, which becomes a "thing" at my age), two discs.

I never saw it during it's original run, but it is definitely Steampunk, more so than any other show on the list save for the Jules Verne series (and I've never seen the H.G. Wells one).

It's well-scripted, well-acted, and...well, well done overall. Check it out.

The Jules Verne series is only available as a bootleg, and because of the rights being muddled between a number of different production companies in a number of different countries, that will probably be the only way to see it in our lifetimes.

That awful, awful Dracula that ran for a short season a couple of years ago does, sadly, qualify as a Steampunk show, since the tech was an important part of the plot. Penny Dreadful, however, while a far, far superior show, is not.

Firefly and its movie, while being both Science Fiction and Weird West, is not Steampunk.

The Wild, Wild West, while alternating between "standard" cowboy stories and science fiction spy tales in the beginning, became progressively more Steampunk throughout its run, so it's on the list. (The movie version had a lot of excellent Steampunk, but otherwise...)

Of course, as with virtually everything else, Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, so my opinion here is just that...an opinion.
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2016, 07:48:51 pm »

Victor Charlington mentioned a TV series (possibly Eastern European) featuring a bear and a clockwork goldfish.  From his description, I'd say this is The Singing, Ringing Tree, an East German series which was repeated several times in the 1960s/70s.  A proud princess is trapped by a wicked dwarf, with a prince who has been turned into a bear (I was most impressed at the time with the way the prince's rearing horse was turned to stone).  The giant goldfish lives in the lake, and gives aid to the princess.
Pete Brown, in his excellent book about beer, Three Sheets to the Wind, says this about the Singing, Ringing Tree:
"It's a generational cliche to talk about how we used to hide behind the sofa when Doctor Who came on.  You couldn't do that with the Singing, Ringing Tree because the terror was so complete it froze you to your chair and glued your eyelids open and you could only sit there, silently thinking, I want to scream, but I can't...."
Personally, I quite liked it....

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2016, 08:48:40 pm »

Could I mention Jekyll & Hyde.  I think it would have to be considered dieselpunk rather that steampunk though.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 09:23:16 pm »

Could I mention Jekyll & Hyde.  I think it would have to be considered dieselpunk rather that steampunk though.
The most recent one would, yes.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Victor Charlington
Deck Hand

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:24 am »

Victor Charlington mentioned a TV series (possibly Eastern European) featuring a bear and a clockwork goldfish.  From his description, I'd say this is The Singing, Ringing Tree, an East German series which was repeated several times in the 1960s/70s.  A proud princess is trapped by a wicked dwarf, with a prince who has been turned into a bear (I was most impressed at the time with the way the prince's rearing horse was turned to stone).  The giant goldfish lives in the lake, and gives aid to the princess.
Pete Brown, in his excellent book about beer, Three Sheets to the Wind, says this about the Singing, Ringing Tree:
"It's a generational cliche to talk about how we used to hide behind the sofa when Doctor Who came on.  You couldn't do that with the Singing, Ringing Tree because the terror was so complete it froze you to your chair and glued your eyelids open and you could only sit there, silently thinking, I want to scream, but I can't...."
Personally, I quite liked it....

Oh my god yes, that was it and if I may add, a very succinct and appropriate description from Pete Brown [sic]. I remember as a young'un sitting glued to the screen in abject terror whenever this came on...!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: