The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 10:16:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassins Creed Syndicate Mini grapple hook, some technical advice?  (Read 567 times)
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« on: February 17, 2016, 05:36:17 pm »

Soo, I wonder if anybody here might be able advise me. I am working on two costumes from the very Steampunk new installment to the Assassin's Creed games, AC Syndicate. The character I'm cosplaying as (Evie Frye) wears a gauntlet featuring a hidden blade, dart gun and grappling hook. I bought the "official" prop replica but for either lazy or health and safety reasons, the designer skipped most of the functioning details.

I want to make a small, functioning grappler to attach to the ready made gauntlet (temporarily if possible). It doesn't necessarily have to support much weight, but I want it to LOOK as if it works for photography/performance reasons. The catch is, it has to be tiny, as it's meant to fit discreetly on my sleeve or gauntlet somewhere.

I've got as far as working out how to put together the wire and arrowhead on a small device, but I'm struggling with a mechanism to actually shoot the arrowhead outwards. Considering our steampunk community is so rich with talented propmakers ,I thought it would be best to ask here.

Some photos of the gauntlet:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ac+syndicate+gauntlet&client=tablet-android-lenovo&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTg8fFmv_KAhWKORQKHdWgB3kQ_AUICCgC&biw=1280&bih=800#imgrc=YTGMj0ZvuAYS1M%3A

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=assassin%27s+creed+grappling+hook&client=tablet-android-lenovo&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIh9r8m__KAhVMnBoKHXdjCLwQ_AUICSgD&biw=1280&bih=800#imgrc=hgrIai9MsfrR1M%3t

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=assassin%27s+creed+grappling+hook&client=tablet-android-lenovo&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIh9r8m__KAhVMnBoKHXdjCLwQ_AUICSgD&biw=1280&bih=800#imgrc=WIJUYn184ZORDM%3A

Just because I enjoy making things difficult for myself, I'm thinking of making a version of the gauntlet from scratch at some point too, so any ideas for dart gun making are also much needed.

Thanks all

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:53:51 pm »

I know the gauntlet very well, and could perhaps offer some advice. The actual cylinder, I believe, is like a spool for the grappling wire. You could go to your local 5 Below, buy the small revolver cap gun, remove the cylinder (simple pull the rod at the front and it will slide out) and you have the cylinder you need.  Make the fluting deeper with a Drexel or sander, then prime with Rust-Oleum, paint with Rub 'n Buff. Get a small spring to put on the back. Buy some aluminum sheet for the frame, and paint it, just to save money. The actual hook can be made out of aluminum, cardstock, or Sculpey clay.

As for a firing version look at NightHawkInLight on YouTube, he makes several dark guns and mini-cannons.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:01:22 pm by Steampunk Away » Logged

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:24:32 pm »

My daughter has a Playmobile pirate ship with quite compact, spring powered canon that shoot their plastic dart quite a distance. Take the body of such a toy, steam it up and add the grappling hook to the end of the dart. There are some images of these toys here https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en-GB&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=playmobile+pirates+canon&gbv=2&oq=playmobile+pirates+canon&gs_l=img.3...3015.16724.0.19432.39.22.6.11.3.0.174.1756.18j4.22.0....0...1ac.1.34.img..12.27.1611.2GOPcWBKgJo.

Funnily enough I've been thinking along somewhat similar lines for a costume for the March Birmingham ComicCon, although I'm planning to not replicate a specific character's costume but rather thinking a Steampunk agent/adventurer and what sort of gadgets they may have.

Yours,
Miranda.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:32:49 pm »

My daughter has a Playmobile pirate ship with quite compact, spring powered canon that shoot their plastic dart quite a distance. Take the body of such a toy, steam it up and add the grappling hook to the end of the dart. There are some images of these toys here https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en-GB&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=playmobile+pirates+canon&gbv=2&oq=playmobile+pirates+canon&gs_l=img.3...3015.16724.0.19432.39.22.6.11.3.0.174.1756.18j4.22.0....0...1ac.1.34.img..12.27.1611.2GOPcWBKgJo.

Funnily enough I've been thinking along somewhat similar lines for a costume for the March Birmingham ComicCon, although I'm planning to not replicate a specific character's costume but rather thinking a Steampunk agent/adventurer and what sort of gadgets they may have.

Yours,
Miranda.

That's genius! I bet if I have a poke around a local toyshop, I could find something of that ilk, I've seen them on toys belonging to my brothers before so they can't be that rare (come to think if it, I'm sure there's a Lego piece with a projectile thing somewhere I could re purpose.) It would certainly be small enough to hide so that it looks like the gauntlet is doing the shooting...

Anyway, this costume also happens to be for Birmingham comic con! So I may see you there. I usually do character costumes for such events myself, it makes a change from the stuff I make day to day, though I've seen some truly fantastic steampunks there before. ^.^ I saw the Dracula inspired costume for this character though and absolutely could not resist!
http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-syndicate-victorian-legends-pack/

Hope your own outfit goes well. If we're there on the same day, it might be nice to catch up for a photo! Smiley
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:34:14 pm »

I know the gauntlet very well, and could perhaps offer some advice. The actual cylinder, I believe, is like a spool for the grappling wire. You could go to your local 5 Below, buy the small revolver cap gun, remove the cylinder (simple pull the rod at the front and it will slide out) and you have the cylinder you need.  Make the fluting deeper with a Drexel or sander, then prime with Rust-Oleum paint with Rub 'n Buff. Get a small spring to put on the back. Buy some aluminum sheet for the frame, and paint it, just to save money. The actual hook can be made out of aluminum, cards rock, or Sculpey clay.

As for a firing version look at NightHawkInLight on YouTube, he makes several dark guns and mini-cannons.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely have a look. Smiley
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:49:29 am »

the mini nerf holdout pistols are very compact and can be stripped of excess material to minimal size.

I would use a static model of the grapnel hook and just go with a painted dart to keep from running afoul of security types.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:59:19 am »

(snip)

Anyway, this costume also happens to be for Birmingham comic con! So I may see you there. I usually do character costumes for such events myself, it makes a change from the stuff I make day to day, though I've seen some truly fantastic steampunks there before. ^.^ I saw the Dracula inspired costume for this character though and absolutely could not resist!

Hope your own outfit goes well. If we're there on the same day, it might be nice to catch up for a photo! Smiley

Unfortunately I'm busy on the Saturday, so for us the only option is Sunday. That image you linked to is excellent - please do post up pictures of progress!

Yours,
Miranda.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:42:10 pm »

the mini nerf holdout pistols are very compact and can be stripped of excess material to minimal size.

I would use a static model of the grapnel hook and just go with a painted dart to keep from running afoul of security types.

Thanks for the idea! I'll add it to my list of things to try ^.^

I have a non-functioning model for walking around but I'm going for one that shoots (safely) for photos and a possible performance in the cosplay show where I might end up in a coreagraphed fight scene. Fortunately it's a convention I cosplay at frequently so I know the weapon rules well ^.^
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »

(snip)

Unfortunately I'm busy on the Saturday, so for us the only option is Sunday. That image you linked to is excellent - please do post up pictures of progress!

Yours,
Miranda.

I work on Saturdays so as it happens, Sunday is the only option for us too! I'll certainly be back on BG with pictures when it's starting to take shape, an opportunity to show off Wink
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:57:13 am »

My son showed me this a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyoWAZEcIE

--
Keith
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England