The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:41:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Project Planned & a Query  (Read 499 times)
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« on: February 14, 2016, 07:49:22 am »

Hey There Folks, I Recently Bought some Small Drinking Straws, and Was Inspired to Try Something, but a Question is Kinda Bugging me,Would a Gunboat be Considered Victorian? I'm thinking about Making Either a Gunboat or a Monitor Type Vessel. I'm Planning to Paint the Straws to Look like Smokestacks.Anyone Wish to Comment? Thanks For Looking.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:02 am »

Heavens, Steam Powered Gunboats were all the rage! every nation had to have a dozen at least, and some multimillionares
aspired to acquire one themselves....

They might be especially steamy if one were to incorporate various Jules Vernsean scientific devices .... and a Tea Deck...
and monkey butlers...

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:55 am »

Thank You, Prof Marvel. That was What i was Wondering, I'm planning to Add some Jules Vern Flavor to the Design,but I'm Trying not to Go Overboard worse than a Tipsy Steward Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:27:41 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A quick review of Wiki gives the history of gunboats and their usage in the 19th century
Steam era

With the introduction of steam power in the early 19th century, the Royal Navy and other navies built considerable numbers of small vessels propelled by side paddles and later by screws. Initially, these vessels retained full sailing rigs, so that steam propulsion was used as an auxiliary form.

The British Royal Navy deployed two wooden paddle gunboats in the Lower Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River during the Rebellions of 1837 in Upper and Lower Canada. The United States Navy deployed an iron-hulled paddle gunboat, the USS Michigan, to the Great Lakes in 1844.

The Von der Tann was the first propeller-driven gunboat in the world. Conradi shipyards in Kiel built the steam-powered 120 long tons (120 t) gunboat in 1849 for the small navy of Schleswig-Holstein. Initially called "Gunboat No. 1", Von der Tann was the most modern ship in the navy. She participated successfully in the First Schleswig War.

Britain built a large number of wooden screw gunboats during the 1850s, some of which participated in the Crimean war, Second Opium War and Indian Mutiny. The requirement for gunboats in the Crimean war was formulated in 1854 and was to allow for shore bombardment operations to be carried out in the Baltic.[5] The first ships the Royal Navy built that met this requirement were the Arrow-class gunvessels.[5] Then in mid-1854 the Royal Navy ordered six Gleaner-class gunboats followed latter in the year by an order for 20 Dapper-class gunboats.[5] In May 1855, six Dapper-class gunboats were deployed to the Sea of Azov where they repeatedly raided and destroyed stores around its coast.[6] In June 1855, the Royal Navy reentered the Baltic with a total of 18 gunboats as part of a larger fleet.[7] The boats were used to attack various coastal facilities operating alongside larger warships from which they drew supplies such as coal.[7]

Gunboats experienced a revival during the American Civil War. Armed sidewheel steamers were quickly converted from existing passenger-carrying boats by Union and Confederate forces. Later, some boats were purposely built, such as the USS Miami. They all frequently mounted 12 or more guns, sometimes of rather large caliber, and were usually armored to some degree. At the same time, Britain's gunboats from the Crimean war period were starting to wear out so a new series of classes was ordered. Construction shifted from a purely wooden hull to an iron teak composite.[8]
SMS Panther, a famous gunboat diplomat from the Agadir Crisis.

In the later 19th century and early 20th century, "gunboat" was the common name for smaller armed vessels. These could be classified, from the smallest to the largest, into river gunboats, river monitors, coastal defense gunboats (such as the SMS Panther), and full-fledged monitors for coastal bombardments. In the 1870s–1880s, Britain took to building so called "flat-iron" (or Rendel) gunboats for coastal defence.[9] When there would be few opportunities to re-coal, vessels carrying a full sailing rig were still used as gunboats; HMS Gannet, a sloop preserved at Chatham Historic Dockyard in the United Kingdom, is an example of this type of gunboat.

In the United States Navy, these boats had the hull classification symbol "PG", which led to their being referred to as "patrol gunboats". They usually displaced under 2,000 long tons (2,000 t), were about 200 ft (61 m) long, 10–15 ft (3.0–4.6 m) draught and sometimes much less, and mounted several guns of caliber up to 5–6 in (130–150 mm). An important characteristic of these was the ability to operate in rivers, enabling them to reach inland targets in a way not otherwise possible before the development of aircraft. In this period, gunboats were used by the naval powers for police actions in colonies or weaker countries, for example in China (see e.g. Yangtze Patrol). It is this category of gunboat that inspired the term "gunboat diplomacy". With the addition of torpedoes they became "torpedo gunboats", designated by the hull classification symbol "PTG" (Patrol Torpedo Gunboat).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunboat

And that same quick review taught me something about the Gunboat War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunboat_War

An odd coincidence, this, as I'm reading a Patrick O'Brian (The Hundred Days) at the moment.

A tea deck with monkey waiters. Yes.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 05:40:03 pm »

looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Obviously, more than straws are needed.  Other materials?

Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:44:02 pm »

The Straws will be Used for the Smokestacks and the Guns,Other materials Include some Plastic Sheets i have and Various other Items.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: