The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:20:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Steampunk were a religion, what would it be like?  (Read 1353 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: February 12, 2016, 10:23:26 pm »

Listening to the radio today there was talk about how easy it is to form your own church/religion.  Got me thinking about Steampunk as a religion. 

Obviously one of the tenents would be: "Be Splendid"
Brass halos?
Mechanical wings for the angels?
Airships in the clouds?

Any thoughts?

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 11:59:48 pm »

Hmm. I should think,whatever the provocation, 'Be polite.'

After all you can challenge someone to a duel and kill them courteously,or draw blood and have a drink together afterwards.  And self -defense can be verbal, bloodless and absolutely polite.

My friend had an elder who lived by the principle that he should always behave in such a way that caused the least distress to others. Very thoughtful and civilized...When he was dying she visited him and he said, 'Oh my dear, forgive me for being so macabre.' So the followers of the Steampunk religion would probably say 'Sorry!' when he was poked with an umbrella.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:04:50 am »

Thou shalt not glue some gears and call it Steampunk

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:18:42 am »

A steampunk church would definitely be a cargo cult https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult. We would all be waiting for  greater being or privileged representative to turn up with junk we  could be fascinated with .

"In such societies, a person’s value is based upon the amount of wealth that they can bestow upon the greater good. Thus, the westerners with a seemingly endless amount of supplies achieved god-like status."
https://boredomtherapy.com/cargo-cults/

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 10:20:00 am »

I'm going to follow this

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:28:40 pm »

A steampunk church would definitely be a cargo cult https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult. We would all be waiting for  greater being or privileged representative to turn up with junk we  could be fascinated with .
Imitating external forms while missing the substance behind them?  Waiting around for the arrival of the Great Splendid rather than doing and being Splendid ourselves?  I see a potential church schism over matters like this.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 04:32:49 pm »

And came the cult Mechanicus from Warhammer 40 000 ? Just like him to focus in the future?

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 04:40:41 pm »

There is a steampunk con in the netherlands called the Sancta Machina. Just saying.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 05:53:05 pm »

There is a steampunk con in the netherlands called the Sancta Machina. Just saying.

Some may consider this idolatry,  and others nothing but sainthood, but I'm sure they've heard of Our Lady of Conductivity

http://silvergrey.deviantart.com/art/Our-Lady-of-Conductivity-78372418
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:57 pm »

How about Saint Jules Verne
Saint H G Wells
Saint Tesla

Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:52 pm »

Due to the aesthetics of Steampunk, I think that the religion would place an overwhelming preference on mechanical solutions rather than electrical. For example instead of relying on an electronic GPS device (with the operations hidden away in a thoroughly untrustworthy manner) the religion's strictures would instead favour something more like this navigational aid with clearly visible mechanisms. Another example would be a barometric altimeter filled with mercury instead of the electronic equivalent. The mechanical nature of these devices would convey a greater sense of reliability (particularly the barometric altimeter example since it relies on natural laws rather than manufactured components that would be prone to failure).

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 12:19:47 am »

Let's step away from the trappings of the Abrahamic faiths, lest our new religion be accused of simply being an old one painted brown with some cogs glued on.

With it's grounding in science, experimentation and logic, does Steampunk lend itself to being a faith?
Rather than worshiping a singular 'Great Maker' type character, Steampunk should be pantheonic, with it's many aspects reflected in many diverse deities.

Personally I'd like to see tenants along the lines of:

'Those who toil in the workings of the Great Machine of the Universe are all equal, regardless of their gearing. There is no he or she, for our meat is nothing in the vastness of totality, there is only they'

'No single branch of science or faith has a true understanding of the universe, better to study and understand them all than adhere to a single untrue truth'

'All those who toil should endevour to be healthy and fit, the working should be kept clean and functioning'

'It is the duty of all those who toil to be able to not only defend themselves, but to be able to defend and assist those who require aid'

'The form of those who toil has evolved to move and be enjoyed, it is our duty to those who turned the Great Machine before us to do so'
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 02:01:40 am »

Great potential for matching some Buddhist ways into steampunk.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 04:47:36 am »

Perhaps you're looking for Steampunk Shintoism. There is a spirit or deity in every single machine.  The God of Locomotives, and it's familiar, a monkey in a conductor's outfit. The Goddess of Garden Parties, and naturally the God of Duels. The Spanner, Hammer and Shovel Shikigamis. The Steel Mill Demon, and so forth....

The power of each god is proportional to the number of worshippers in their respective shrine. Every now and the the gods fight one another...

(I've been reading a lot of Shinto-related Manga lately  Tongue )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto
Shinto (神道 Shintō?), also called kami-no-michi,[note 1] is the ethnic religion of the people of Japan. It focuses on ritual practices to be carried out diligently, to establish a connection between present-day Japan and its ancient past.[2] Shinto practices were first recorded and codified in the written historical records of the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki in the 8th century. Still, these earliest Japanese writings do not refer to a unified "Shinto religion", but rather to a collection of native beliefs and mythology.[3] Shinto today is a term that applies to the religion of public shrines devoted to the worship of a multitude of gods (kami),[4] suited to various purposes such as war memorials and harvest festivals, and applies as well to various sectarian organizations. Practitioners express their diverse beliefs through a standard language and practice, adopting a similar style in dress and ritual, dating from around the time of the Nara and Heian period

The word Shinto ("way of the gods") was adopted, originally as Jind7][note 2] combining two kanji: "shin" (神?), meaning "spirit" or kami; and "tō" (道?), meaning a philosophical path or study (from the Chinese word dào).[3][7] The oldest recorded usage of the word Shindo is from the second half of the 6th century.[6] Kami are defined in English as "spirits", "essences" or "gods", referring to the energy generating the phenomena.[8] Since Japanese language does not distinguish between singular and plural, kami refers to the divinity, or sacred essence, that manifests in multiple forms: rocks, trees, rivers, animals, places, and even people can be said to possess the nature of kami.[8] Kami and people are not separate; they exist within the same world and share its interrelated complexity.

Shinto is the largest religion in Japan, practiced by nearly 80% of the population, yet only a small percentage of these identify themselves as "Shintoists" in surveys.[4][9] This is because "Shinto" has different meanings in Japan: most of the Japanese attend Shinto shrines and beseech kami without belonging to an institutional "Shinto" religion,[10] and since there are no formal rituals to become a member of "folk Shinto", "Shinto membership" is often estimated counting those who join organised Shinto sects.[11] Shinto has 81,000 shrines and 85,000 priests in the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikigami

Shikigami are said to be invisible most of the time, but they can be made visible by banning them into small, folded and artfully cut paper manikins. There are also shikigami that can show themselves as animals or birds. They must be conjured during a complex ceremony and their power is connected to the spiritual force of their master. If the evoker is well introduced and has lots of experience, his Shiki can possess animals and even people and manipulate them. But if the evoker is careless, his shikigami may get out of control in time, gaining its own will and consciousness. In this case the shikigami will raid its own master and kill him in revenge. Normally shikigami are conjured to exercise risky orders for their masters, such as spying around, stealing and enemy tracking.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:53:40 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 07:10:49 am »

I like the idea of cut paper manikins 
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 07:13:26 am »

Imitating external forms while missing the substance behind them?  Waiting around for the arrival of the Great Splendid rather than doing and being Splendid ourselves?  I see a potential church schism over matters like this.

It could set off a whole new era of  steampunk religious wars

it would be a good excuse to dust off the pith helmets
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 09:06:00 am »

And Lo, The Profet Maets said unto the people Behold There do be great bunches of us who dost think alike , dress wierdly,
take Tea, Biscuits And Coffee and art verily Polite unto one another!

Let us gather These People Together in the great wasteland where none shall distrub us ( say , desert the week after burning man) and decideth upon the Tennant s Of A New Belief, A Belief based upon
- Politeness
- Splendidness
- Tea
- Causing No Distress
- No Glueing of Senseless Gears
- Nothing post -Victorian

And the spiritualalitiness of all things, be they peoples, animals, bugs, birds, creepy-crawlies, fishes, loaves, monsters, nerds, rocks, trees, streams, valleys, mountains, lakes, oceans, planets, clouds, vapor, aether, stars, and even unto sacred tools and machines and Artificial Inteligences.

And Lo the people did gather and laid out the Tea Things and offered each other biscuits and coffee and tea.

And they did discuss Great Mysteries and Matters of Utmost Importance, with diginity and politness.
And When disagreement did break out it was settled with Tea Duels and Rock-Paper-Scisors-Cogs
And then did the people begin to disagree and form separate tables , and label themselvs by different Monikers-
the Makers, the Writers, the Thinkers, The Artists, the Muses, and the LongWindedSnakeOil Peddlars
and lo did the first divides come upon the religion of Steampunk forming the first SteamSects of Punk....

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 01:54:47 pm »

I'm an aetherist..or is that cognostic? I'm not sure.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »

I'm thinking taoism and aether might be a good mix.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 02:46:33 pm »

So the big question:  Can I get tax exempt status as a high priest of steampunk?  Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 02:47:19 pm »

I'm afraid I'm just thinking NO.

Any religion basically sucks and has been the culprit for many an atrocity throughout time, the second Steampunk becomes a religion is the the exact moment I bid fond farewell and a hearty goodbye.

Leave well alone and let being splendid be enough.

Now, if we became more like Masons with a secret handshake and endeavour to benefit members of  society, then yep I would be in.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:56:55 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 05:20:14 am »

So the big question:  Can I get tax exempt status as a high priest of steampunk?  Grin

Why yes, you can!

start here
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Start-Your-Own-Religion/

then read this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/start-your-own-church_us_55d24635e4b07addcb43bd60

then check in on what the lawyers say
http://cullinanelaw.com/nonprofit-law-basics-how-do-i-start-a-church/

and finally review the IRS doco
https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations

pm me and I can tell you all about some wackadoodle stuff that might violate the rules :-)
have fun, and watch out for the Men In Black

yhs
the very reverend marvel
prof marvel
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 01:34:29 pm »

Thanks for the info.

I had heard a thing about it on the radio, which got me to post this thread. 

I am not serious, rather curious.

Thanks.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »

Thanks for the info.

I had heard a thing about it on the radio, which got me to post this thread. 

I am not serious, rather curious.

Thanks.

You know religion can be good business. Lots of money available from the gullible  Wink   Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 05:06:48 pm »

it might be just my strange little country in the Pacific , but it appears from  the government sites that one can't set up a church here with out being  a charitable trust. From a nation built by missionaries this  reads a touch suspect.

[ I was checking out the requirements for applying to be a  marriage celebrant.]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: