The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 06:08:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where it may lead - Completed  (Read 1079 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: February 11, 2016, 02:29:47 am »

You never know where things may lead.
Last year I made this piece.

Plasma and iPod speaker.  One of my favorite pieces.  Shipped it to Racine where it was badly damaged by Fedex. The outer case is an old speaker made from really crappy metal. I got the piece back late this fall and finally last week decided to see if I could repair it.  Basically the corners had all cracked, but I figured with glue I could fix it.  While putting clamps on it, it broke into a dozen pieces and thus then end of a really nice piece.  The internal parts where okay so I figured to make another piece with the plasma screen and speaker.

Decided to use a ring cut from a big fire extinguisher that I have had sitting around for a long time.  Cut the ring from one end of the tank.  Suddenly, I was inspired to make a big bell. See http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47426.0.html

Once the bell was finished it was time to go back to using the ring. Started to make a new housing to hold the plasma screen.  When I went to mount the screen I realize that the brackets on the back of the screen had also been badly damaged in the shipping.  The piece must have really seen a major drop. I found I couldn't use the original mounting approach and that there was no way the housing I had created could be modified at that point, so I turned it into a clock and an iPod speaker.  

I like the way it looked so I made a second housing of similar design but with an alternate mounting approach for the plasma screen.  Here are two WIP shots.

This morning I decided to make a third piece with the same housing concept.  This one will be a high tech mirror. You'll see what I mean when it is complete.  Here are the three pieces are welded and waiting to be sprayed with a clear coat.  Then they all have to be wired up.

Left to right: Clock/iPod speaker, mirror, plasma screen

So a piece broken in shipping resulted in me making a big bell, a speaker, a plasma screen and a high tech mirror.

You never know where things may lead.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:00:35 pm by Maets » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:03:18 am »

The original is/was lovely - the pictures of the new build aren't showing up - I will assume they are up to your usual perfect standards!!
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:14:25 am »

Thanks!

Check the images now.  They should be viewable.

These are WIP shots so more to do before they are complete.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:35:15 pm »

O yes, I look forward to the finished articles.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »

Many thanks.

The last piece gave me an idea for something similar, but different.  Working on it today. 
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:46:13 pm »

Here is number four.  A stereo head.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 06:13:48 am »

Odd, but strangely appealing!
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 02:39:53 pm »

Thanks.  When I take the pictures of the finished piece you will be able to get a better idea of how all of these look.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »

did fedex pony up or did they do a song and dance? we got burned at my old job when UPS trashed a very old and expensive micrometer height gauge. they said it wasn't packed properly.  strapped to a bottom sheet of plywood, then bubble wrapped a solid 6 inches, wedged into a box with 2 inch Styrofoam all around then placed in a bigger doublewall  box with popcorn foam packed in between. two people stood on the box just for grins before it shipped. they managed to knock it flat on one end.

judging by the tire tracks on the box, someone ran it over with a forklift or truck. they managed to snap a 5/8 inch hardened centershaft.

their insurance rider turned out to be a third party that refused to pay the 2500 we insured it for, they then renigged on the 200 they offered instead.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 05:31:55 pm »

Fortunately,  I did get reimbursed the full insurance value.  The place I shipped it too had more pull than I and they where the ones that managed to get paid and then they paid me.  

Years ago I never bothered to insure the pieces since it was about 100% bells that I was shipping and they could be driven over with a truck.  However, FEDEX did manage to loose two bells that I shipped and ever since then I pay for insurance.  

The guy I shipped the bells to called wondering why I had taken so long to ship them to him.  I had shipped them two weeks earlier and it should have taken two days.  After making a number of phone calls I learned that the box they were in was in Baltimore (close to home), but it was wet and empty. Since I had dropped them off at a FEDEX office dry and no liquid in a steel bell, how they got wet and where they went was beyond me.  Each bell weighed about 20 pounds so hard to miss them rolling around in the back of a FEDEX truck.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:34:30 pm by Maets » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 10:45:27 am »

A lesson on how to make a disaster into a quartet of absolute loveliness.

Watching.  Wink

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 03:48:09 pm »

Thanks.  

If my attempts to the glue the original had worked, none of these pieces would exist, nor would the big bell.  What I would have made instead in the weeks working on these pieces, I will never know.

Here are all four, sprayed with a gloss lacquer.  Still need to have the guts put in them.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:58:09 pm by Maets » Logged
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 08:12:43 pm »

Lovely sense of a style you have running though these.
Luck is what you make of it, I suppose!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
selectedgrub
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:44 pm »

Certainly different to your other styles.
I'm kinda like them as a set.

Have you ever made a 4 or 5 piece speaker set?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 11:20:41 pm »

Thanks. 

Never really done too much in the way of sets.  I am always trying to think of how I can take a basic idea and make it a little different from the last piece.

I do like the look of these compared to the square/rectangular boxes I usually make. 

Big show starts with setup on Monday.  I'll be finding out what the public thinks.  Hopefully the buying public.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 08:02:43 pm »

Here are the completed pieces.

First the head which is also an iPod speaker.  Note the shelf for holding the iPod/iPhone/android/whatever.  Great stereo sound.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 08:05:15 pm »

Here is actually the first one of this group.  It is a speaker and is a clock or time machine.

Note the place in the back to hold the iPod.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 08:07:02 pm »

This is the second one made in this series.  Plasma lamp.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 08:09:50 pm »

And finally the most unique piece in the series.  I call it a high tech mirror.  Two cameras to look at yourself.  It would also be possible to mount the cameras remotely and use it as a security camera.

Thanks for checking them all out.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:16 pm »

These are All Masterpieces,IMHO! You did a Superb Job on All of them! Keep up the Superb Work Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 11:56:22 pm »

Oh. My. Word!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 05:45:10 am »

Egad! Love them!

yhs
rev marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 02:09:23 pm »

Thank you all so much.

On way this morning to set up for a show in Baltimore.  Hopefully I get the same kind of reactions from the public.

Thanks again.
Captain Heartless
Deck Hand
Greece Greece

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 08:15:51 pm »

Yup. Awesome (once again...)

Sometimes I wish I had a heart, but not today...
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 02:16:24 am »

Many thanks!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: