The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 02:03:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird AZOM Email  (Read 624 times)
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »

So I got an email from AZOM addressing me as the webmaster for brass goggles (hand over the keys proteus) and it said that they want to get rid of the backlog profile by removing a link on the site.

Hey provided the link, which led directly to where they said it would. It was legitimate. And the product they said we were referencing was legitimate as well. The email checks out as AZOM and it's very clear cut and formal.

Now the question is, is this a very elaborate, well planned ruse to get me to reply, or is it legitimately the company asking me to remove the links?

It mentions me being webmaster, which I think may be a simple mistake, but it could just be part of the ruse.

I humbly ask your opinion.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:02:52 pm »

Engine Room methinks, sounds suss to me.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 04:29:51 pm »

Firstly I'd check a browser with the following keywords AZOM scam or AZOM phishing.

if that comes up blank, then.

Navigate to the website (not via the e-mail, use google or the like, if google can't find it then it maybe a ruse) look up the contacts there and contact them directly.
I would say however it would be important to state that you have no control over the content of Brass goggles as you are not the custodian of the site.

and leave it at that. This is not your row to hoe.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:33:11 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 04:34:10 pm »

This definitely sounds fishy to me just because; if nothing else, I haven't had an email about it being reported (and presumably none of the other mods has) so if it is genuine they've obtained your email from your profile (or elsewhere) before contacting you, rather than going through what (at least to me) seems to be the most logical solution of clicking the report to Mod button.

I suppose the best course of action would be to wait and see what happens and if anyone else reports getting anything similar and then proceed from there but my gut reaction is to say it's a scam since I can't see any particular reason why you specifically would have been contacted rather than Proteus or the Admin team.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:43:23 pm »

Go with fish on this. I stand corrected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: