The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 03:08:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to steampunk!  (Read 960 times)
Samurai1979
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 27, 2016, 07:38:32 pm »

Hi guys as the title says I'm new to steampunk and want to start my first pistol, I have a nerf Maverick  and was wondering where are the best places to get stuff to "punk it up"?! Any help with this would be fantastic, thanks.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:53:07 pm »

Welcome to steampunk, and welcome to Brass Goggles!

I personally like to get my stuff at flee markets

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:43:25 pm »

Hiho!

Stick 'nerf' or 'maverick' in the search box at the top of the page, and see what our artisans have wrought...

Welcome aboard!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 01:04:26 am »

Figuring out what to use is half the fun.  There is probably no limit to what can be used to create steampunk items.

Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 04:49:20 am »

Welcome, if You want to "Punk it Up",check with Your Local Hardware store for Primers & Spray Paints to give it the Look You want, You may Also Want to check out "The Steampunk Adventurers Guide for Info & Tips on Doing What You Describe. Hope This Helps.
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:57 am »

Good paints from the hardware store,
there are a series of paints like Rustolium brand which if you prime and prepare the surfaces carefully will fool nearly all but the closest scrutiny as to their not being actual metal *the paints contain metallic compounds in them which give them superb look.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 12:47:38 am »

Krylon is another good paint.

When it comes to painting things, especially small detailed things, the more you can take apart to paint the better. It'll look much more clean in the end.
Harbinger_99
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:36:53 pm »

You can get the hardware you want from almost anywhere. I like flea markets, hardware stores and eBay. I also like to prime and paint with normal spray paint and then clear coat with three or four coats of enamel. Enamel doesn't usually have as large a variety of color but is very durable. Whereas normal spray paint comes in a plethora of colors but tends to chip and scratch easily. Combining the two makes your project both beautiful and durable. If the finish is too shiny you can add another coat of enamel and before it dries hit it with a little dulling spray.

P.s. Enamel sticks to normal spray paint, but not the other way around!!!
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 05:34:09 am »

Be careful when mixing paint types, as they may "stick" initially, but they can chemically react over a few days and start to bubble or flake off.  I'd avoid mixing Acrylic and Enamel paints, but that's my personal opinion.

For painting plastics, I'd aim to use Acrylic paints, and start with a coat of plastic primer for your Nerf gun.  Many light coats are better than a few heavy coats of spray paint - so a little patience and time is required (but it does pay off!).  As was suggested by Bines - if you can dismantle it before spraying, this will make things a lot cleaner looking, and also make it easier to spray components different colours / add detailing to certain parts.

A few techniques I would advise practicing are as follows: (sorry if I'm "teaching you to suck eggs")
1. Dry Brushing - The easiest way to add highlights to / texture area's.
2. Washes and Glazes / Filters - Handy for showing small details / adding tarnish to certain points.
3. How to do the "Wrinkle effect" paint job - Slightly more advanced paint texturing.  It wasn't described in the video, but you paint your "main" colour on first and allow it to fully cure / dry / set ... then spray on your "accent" colour, add the plastic wrap (cling film) and peel off, and voilla - you have a new effect.  You can use this (as shown in the video) with greatly contrasting colours, or, use similar colours for a more subtle effect.

Hope that's enough to spark some idea's  Wink

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: