The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 12:01:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aren't 'steam punk' items that don't work a betrayal of the genre?  (Read 4170 times)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2016, 10:52:46 pm »

My gaslights are electric too.  I'm just a big fake.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2016, 03:02:37 am »

An older apartment building a few blocks away from me used to have real gaslights out front.

They were about human height.  They hissed faintly and had some sort of little glowing net over the flames, which pointed downwards.  Occasionally in passing one could smell escaping gas, or see a torn net with a bit of flame curling up.

Some time within the last few years they replaced them with little LED lights.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:33 am »

They hissed faintly and had some sort of little glowing net over the flames, which pointed downwards.  Occasionally in passing one could smell escaping gas, or see a torn net with a bit of flame curling up.

The "little net" is called a "mantle" . The Mantle lamp was a great leap forward as it increased the amount of light produced from 6 to tenfold. an ordinary gas or oil flame can produce ~ 6 candlepower but the same heat when applied to a mantle causes the metal oxides in the mantel to incandece producing 40 candles or more, depending. presssurized gaslights ( such as the coleman , primus , or optimus , or your pressurized municipole gaslight ) produce about the same light as a 60-80 watt bulb.

hth
prof mumbles

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »

They hissed faintly and had some sort of little glowing net over the flames, which pointed downwards.  Occasionally in passing one could smell escaping gas, or see a torn net with a bit of flame curling up.

The "little net" is called a "mantle" . The Mantle lamp was a great leap forward as it increased the amount of light produced from 6 to tenfold. an ordinary gas or oil flame can produce ~ 6 candlepower but the same heat when applied to a mantle causes the metal oxides in the mantel to incandece producing 40 candles or more, depending. presssurized gaslights ( such as the coleman , primus , or optimus , or your pressurized municipole gaslight ) produce about the same light as a 60-80 watt bulb.

hth
prof mumbles

Thank you for that information.

The gaslights were pretty, to be sure.  But I was always a little nervous when walking past them.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2016, 03:56:03 pm »

The Diesel is slipstreaming.
Hello D. Been well? Cheesy
Not too bad, yourself?

I got some sound out of my gramophone horn.  Admittedly I did put a headphone down there, but you can't have everything.

Busy but the work is satisfying. Your trying to get sound out of your gramophone horn? Just lob a mini wireless bluetooth speaker unit down the chuffer. Just like everyone else. Cheesy

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2016, 05:02:37 pm »

but seriously, steampunk items that work just like they look they would work would in many cases be very, very dangerous.
and can you really give people that like to dress up and brag with their creations the responsibility to handle weapons?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2016, 10:03:46 pm »

I just see it as a dangerously slippy slope of one-upmanship with conversations like the following...

SP1: My items are functional, so I'm more Steampunk than you.

SP2: Well, my items are functional and made from period materials, no plastic or spraypaint here. So I'm more Steampunk than you...

SP3: Indeed, but my items are functional, made from period materials and constructed only using period tools. So that makes me much more Steampunk than you...

SP4: Hah! My items are functional, made from period materials and constructed only using period tools by period child labor in period perilous conditions paid period wages (Half an apple, a verse from the bible and a heartfelt slap). So that makes me considerably more Steampunk than you.

SP5: That's nothing, I actually created an device that enabled me to travel through space, time and the multiverse to an actual Steampunk plane of existence where I purchased all these functional items from actual aether using Steampunks who lived in an actual zepplin and did pirate things. So that makes me the most Steampunk of all.

SPs 1-4: You bought them? Like in a shop? Ugh, Steampunk's become so mainstream, I bet you only found it through Justin Beiber.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2016, 02:26:34 am »

SP5: That's nothing, I actually created an device that enabled me to travel through space, time and the multiverse to an actual Steampunk plane of existence where I purchased all these functional items from actual aether using Steampunks who lived in an actual zepplin and did pirate things. So that makes me the most Steampunk of all.

I did that, so it makes me more Steampunk & therefore more qualified to say what is or isn't Steampunk than GDF or Captain Pineapple Head.

Face it folks what I say is Steampunk is law / lore.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2016, 03:15:34 am »

I did that, so it makes me more Steampunk & therefore more qualified to say what is or isn't Steampunk than GDF or Captain Pineapple Head.

In that case, I aim to misbehave...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:55 pm »

granted, it's not very steampunk, but I do believe it puts me in a position where my will is the law.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2016, 05:37:46 pm »

While I haven't watched much of 'Game of Thrones', the few bits I have seen suggest that, for a female, you are wearing far too many clothes to be taken seriously as a contender for the throne!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2016, 05:42:03 pm »

While I haven't watched much of 'Game of Thrones', the few bits I have seen suggest that, for a female, you are wearing far too many clothes to be taken seriously as a contender for the throne!

if you're watching the series, then yes. I read the books, though, and woman are wearing a lot more clothing there. and there's little to no sex scenes. (at least none longer than a sentence: " and they had sex"  kind of way)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2016, 05:46:05 pm »

I read the books years ago, but can't say I remember much of them - a do recall that I was getting a bit bored with them and skimmed quite a lot of the later ones.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2016, 06:06:57 pm »

Yes, getting skimmed off is something that happens a LOT in that series.....
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2016, 06:46:48 pm »

granted, it's not very steampunk, but I do believe it puts me in a position where my will is the law.

For some reason whenever I see anything associated with 'The Iron Throne' I'm instantly reminded of Yeltsin's comment that;

You can make a throne of bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long

and tbh, from what I remember of the books I read, Mr Martin makes that ABUNDANTLY clear.

In that case, I aim to misbehave...

Shiny, let's be bad guys! Wink

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2016, 07:06:08 pm »

For some reason whenever I see anything associated with 'The Iron Throne' I'm instantly reminded of Yeltsin's comment that;

Yeltsin? Former President of the Russian Federation? Seriously, did he say it?

In Russia this expression is attributed to Napoleon.

But they say it is a Spanish proverb.

Sorry, couldn't resist the offtopic
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:07:51 pm by morozow » Logged

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »

and tbh, from what I remember of the books I read, Mr Martin makes that ABUNDANTLY clear.

i'm only at book 2
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2016, 09:45:04 pm »

Going back to the OP (and sorry if I'm messing up anything conversation-wise)...

From my short time in the Steampunk world, the answer to the OP seems quite simple...

Firstly, this is fantasy.  Or, as it is commonly quoted - "The future that never was".  This gives free reign to a LOT of creationism as to what should be part of Steampunk "Technology".

Secondly, you sound like me when I did my A-Level Physics lessons / exams ... i.e. always looking for the most complex answer and getting confused in all the details.  STOP ... take a breath ... go back to my first point.  This is fantasy, and yes there are certain guidelines, but the rest is upto, well, anyone!.  When I introduced myself on here I got the following response, which I think sums things up quite well (as I too was asking for specific directions and answers)...

Hello, Doctor, and welcome!

Don't stress too much about the "core" literature; there actually is no Steampunk canon. I once likened Steampunk to a vast undulating plane where we each choose a place to stand and define Steampunk by what we can see from that place. Some see a broader definition, some a narrower one, but no two Steampunks occupy exactly the same viewpoint.

... Thus I've come to the conclusion to just "Chill out!", and let the creative side of you get stuck into Steampunk.  I come from an Engineering background, and as such would love every Steampunk invention / contraption to be functional, but as it's all fantasy, there's no need to stress about the details Smiley

As far as "Sticking gears on stuff and calling it Steampunk" is concerned, don't forget the "Punk" in "Steampunk".  Put simply, Steampunk's adorn their clothing and creations in cogs to reflect their affiliation with the steam power that drives them (the person and/or the item).  So take a step back, get soaked in the hot, sweaty steam, and get stuck in Wink

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2016, 03:08:08 pm »

Well put Dr! Why yes for this jewel of steampunk is multifaceted and if we're honest it reflects much more than it absorbs. Look into it, then predominantly you see yourself and the things that matter to you. That is the joy and the art and the endeavour. It doesn't show you a greater truth or a cast iron law or a purpose for being; merely you with the echos and reflections of others chased through it.

You want it to be something, then you see it. If the echoes are disturbing, it is simply because they clash with the colours of your most pleasing reflection. To make steampunk more like you wish it to be, would simply be like trying to hammer a jewel into a mirror. At which point it ceases to be a jewel.

I do not wish to look into a mirror, which is why I am a Steampunk. Smiley
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2016, 04:45:26 pm »

Depending on the jewel, the mirror would probably cease being the mirror first.

To try & make Steampunk more like you want it to be, you could well end up not being Steampunk anymore.

Am I getting too deep?
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2016, 05:00:13 pm »

Yeltsin? Former President of the Russian Federation? Seriously, did he say it?

In Russia this expression is attributed to Napoleon.

But they say it is a Spanish proverb.

Sorry, couldn't resist the offtopic

Apparently so, but he may well have been quoting someone else at the time.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2016, 11:24:13 am »

To try & make Steampunk more like you want it to be, you could well end up not being Steampunk anymore.

Am I getting too deep?

Despite your near infinite capacity to treadjack with the best of them. You do, do deep really rather well as it happens. Not that this earth shaking revelation should in any way effect your regular demeanor. Getting too introspective can lead to people getting rammed up their own behind and that is a most unsightly thing to behold. Speaking from experience exacting your head from your own anus is something of an involved affair.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:25:44 am by Clym Angus » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2016, 09:46:21 pm »

Am I getting too deep?

A broken mirror gives lots of different reflections, so it may be an appropriate symbol for the myriad differences in steampunk.
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2016, 11:23:05 pm »

I've skimmed threw a lot of these posts. Really happy with what I've read. But still want to answer the OP question. Should it work?

Steampunk is a cast iron air ship. Powered by clockwork and the mysteries of the metaphysical sciences. Astrology, crypto-physics, spiritualism. One could use an ouija board or a compass and wheel to steer. Properly tuning to lay lines as they travel threw both time and space.

Works? No. Should your creation do something flashy? Only if you want it to. To be honest I'm a bit leery of people running around with compressed air. Especially those who think. 'If it can hold water it can hold air." Water does not compress. If the container brakes you get wet. Air compresses. If the container brakes you get shrapnel.

You can make an item work. You already have a reason for the object. Now make story behind it. Sort of 'this gage does this, this one shows that; kind of story behind your creation. You don't have to know everything. Just enough to make it come alive.

And speaking of working. I'm still trying to figure out how you would fire a cannon from an air ship. And not have the air ship rock like a swing set.  Cheesy

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2016, 07:31:27 am »

And speaking of working. I'm still trying to figure out how you would fire a cannon from an air ship. And not have the air ship rock like a swing set.  Cheesy

Same way you would on a normal ship. The cannon is mounted on a carriage which moves independently of the deck so that when it's fired the gun rolls back until it hits the limits of its' restraints (hence the phrase 'a loose cannon') which is the only point at which the force of the recoil is imparted to the ship itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: