The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:57:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would Coasters be Considered Steampunk?  (Read 954 times)
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« on: January 20, 2016, 08:53:40 am »

Hey There Folks, i Recently Purchased some Cork in Sheets, and Plan to make Some Coasters with it, but i was Wondering if Coasters are Something Would Work with Steampunk? I've made one,but i plan to make more. Anyone wish to Chime in?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:31:30 pm »

Anything can be made in a steampunk style.  Just a matter of what you do with it.

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:42:27 pm »

Sure. Doilies are Steamy, and coasters are doilies in cork form.
If they look lacey, I suppose...

Undecided

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:49:43 pm »

Sure. Doilies are Steamy, and coasters are doilies in cork form.
If they look lacey, I suppose...

Undecided

HP

could always lay a doily over the cork and spray paint it than remove the doily leaving the pattern showing in cork
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:46:19 pm »

I think a more appropriate question is why would coasters not be Steampunk.  I'm unsure how I would justify ruling out any type of tableware,  when clearly most accessories we know of were present for many centuries including the 19th. C. And Steampunk is just a retrofuturist adaptation of 19th C. aesthetics....

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:26:08 pm »

What are all you blokes doing going on about doilies  Wink Cheesy Shocked

On a serious note , my  first thought was  Steampunk/ Dieselpunk images glued on  to cork and lacquered over. Then it went to  metallic spray paint.

Though glued on  curtain net / lace / doily / table cloth etc lacquered over  could be effective. Cork could then be cut into any shape to suit.

Either  furnishing remnants, cheap table ware  or op shop finds would be suitable .  Many such items have  medallion patterns or borders , including flowers,  birds, animals, houses,  boats  and all manner of designs , that would be ideal for  cutting out and gluing.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:41:36 pm »

Imagine putting your whiskey tumbler down on this and how impressed your guests would be

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 03:01:38 am »

altho a bit cliché , how about a cog made of one of those art clays. a center with a cork surface and a felt or cork underside. paint it metallic with a colored pinstripe or hub of some sort. make them stackable and they should work out just fine. sign up for a ceramics class and make a few of them for yourself. a color glaze would make them look quite fancy.
haqve a small hole in the center and have them store on dowel pegs on a board so the teeth mesh and you can turn one to turn them all. it will give the human larvae something to do while the grown ups conflagrate.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 03:01:00 pm »

altho a bit cliché , how about a cog made of one of those art clays. a center with a cork surface and a felt or cork underside. paint it metallic with a colored pinstripe or hub of some sort. make them stackable and they should work out just fine. sign up for a ceramics class and make a few of them for yourself. a color glaze would make them look quite fancy.
haqve a small hole in the center and have them store on dowel pegs on a board so the teeth mesh and you can turn one to turn them all. it will give the human larvae something to do while the grown ups conflagrate.

I was thinking of coasters along this line.  A roundish object with a base for the cork disk to be afixed that you place your drink on.   What happens on that roundish object would be the steampunk bit.

Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 07:23:36 pm »

I do like the lacquered images idea
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 02:29:28 am »

What are all you blokes doing going on about doilies  Wink Cheesy Shocked

You mean "d'oyleys" surely.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 03:05:11 am »

I immediately thought "Roller Coasters" and got a little excited. Oh well.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 05:16:57 am »

Imagine putting your whiskey tumbler down on this and how impressed your guests would be

That reminds me of the Kraken themed items on sold on the Kraken black spiced rum site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: