The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:20:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable battery power source for lightbulb to top mage's staff?  (Read 1341 times)
Lepidoptera
Gunner
United States United States

« on: January 19, 2016, 03:38:36 am »

Our local SP convention (GearCon) will be combining this year with a "regular" SF/comic convention (WesterCon). I therefore have an excuse to go as a Red Mage a la Dragonlance. However, to make it also steampunk, I will make it a (pun intended) mechanical wizard. Robe will be adorned with gear and tool designs and there will be a tool belt. I also hope to make a staff reminiscent of Raistlin Majere' s Staff of Magius. I want the gem on top to be instead a light bulb. That lights. So, how would i go about powering said light bulb? I would guess batteries concealed in the staff but that's about as far as I get.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:09:13 am »

Hollow staff; regular old dry cell batteries inside staff just like a regular flashlight. Easily done.
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:45:49 am »

I realized that what I was looking for was an Uncle Fester light bulb! (as seen in the Addams Family.) It's all self-contained and I don't have to know anything electrical. Fortunately I don't have to be a REAL mechanical wizard! Smiley
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:36 am »

Magic Light Bulb, $7.99 on Amazon.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 03:59:48 am »

You can get small LED flashlights that would be easy to conceal in a staff.  Just have the light shine through a crystal.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:05:33 pm »

Our local SP convention (GearCon) will be combining this year with a "regular" SF/comic convention (WesterCon). I therefore have an excuse to go as a Red Mage a la Dragonlance. However, to make it also steampunk, I will make it a (pun intended) mechanical wizard. Robe will be adorned with gear and tool designs and there will be a tool belt. I also hope to make a staff reminiscent of Raistlin Majere' s Staff of Magius. I want the gem on top to be instead a light bulb. That lights. So, how would i go about powering said light bulb? I would guess batteries concealed in the staff but that's about as far as I get.

The term (I believe) is technomancer. Cheesy

Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 05:13:16 pm »

Just saying steampunk redmage screams Tech-priests and Enginseers
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 03:45:32 am »

Are those Warhammer?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 03:58:16 am »

If it's really that difficult, just buy a maglite flashlight; the long thin one that uses four double-a batteries in a row. Paint a PVC pipe to be the staff that you want it to be, put the maglite inside the pipe, and top it off with a big fake gemstone that I'm sure you'll be able to find from an online source.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 07:13:11 pm »

Are those Warhammer?

Warhammer 40k yes.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 09:08:35 pm »

You can get some super bright LED torches/flashlights in Pound shops here in the UK I'm assuming similar items are available worldwide, they're quite a good diameter for fitting inside metal or plastic tubes.

Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »

Led lights will give you much better battery life and brighter light too.

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 01:45:46 am »

Solar powered battery from an electronic store.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 07:24:23 am »

Purchase an actual enchanted stone with a glowing aura. No batteries required.
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 10:39:54 am »

I thought of that, but I was worried about radioactivity.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »

Adafruit to the rescue!

1 X Neopixel, (adafruit)
1 X 3.3v Trinkit mini (Adafruit)
other components
Batteries.

Go to adafruit.com and you will find a guide on how to build and assemble it
I am sending you there because I haven't finished mine yet and electronics wise, I am building what you are asking for!
The thing with the neopixel is that if you top the staff with a clear quartz crystal, you can change the colour at whim because the neopixel is multicolour!

An example recipie with all the parts and programming!
https://learn.adafruit.com/pocket-galaxy/wiring
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:04:23 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 09:47:22 am »

Ok, so I am out of date here!
using the "Gemma" is a better option here, This page shows you how to wire it!
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1260
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 04:09:03 pm »

really the dollar store flashlight works great just hot glue/clear epoxy it to the bottom of your crystal of choice (antique glass doorknob?)

and wrap the body with enough tape to make it a friction fit into whatever you make the top of the staff from.

you turn it on and stick in. when the day is done or you want it to save on the batteries, pull it out and turn it off.

don't even need to futz with the on/off wiring.

replacing batteries is a breeze too.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:18 pm »

if you want to do just some very basic wiring and have a button you push to light it and the like. This is a pretty good video of someone just using basic stuff for the most part to make Nightwing's weapons. Planning on doing something similar sometime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsylRpgv5ds

oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 06:28:22 am »

I thought of that, but I was worried about radioactivity.
Mandatory XKCD:
Fizzylicious
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 12:14:39 am »

Instead of a light bulb perhaps you can use a plasma ball? I have used one for a steampunk blunderbus recently and it looks pretty neat.

You can get one powered by 4 AA or AAA batteries for around $10 or so, so it won't cost you an arm and a leg.. For instance here: http://www.dx.com/p/usb-4-x-aaa-powered-sound-activated-plasma-magic-ball-black-transparent-128801#.Vs-DIZwrKUk

Just a thought.. Happy inventing! Smiley
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 01:51:17 am »

That looks good.  Unfortunately, the plasma balls linked to are not available.
Fizzylicious
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 10:24:25 pm »

Yeah, I know Sad They cancelled my order because it was out of stock..

I got the one in the picture from a Dutch site: https://www.conrad.nl/nl/effectlamp-mini-plasma-bal-591354.html?sc.queryFromSuggest=true
The site is in Dutch and doesn't have a translation option to English, so I figured the DX site link would be more useful. I'm sure there are similar option available in the US anyway, saves on shipping Smiley

-Fizzy-
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 02:29:34 am »

Well, I considered all the suggestions but I was looking for something cheap, easy and involving not knowing anything about wiring. I got a magic lightbulb but it seems it needs a magic ring to activate it. So you have to be holding it.

I found on eBay some fillable plastic lightbulbs (intended for party favors, etc.) and some tiny LED light thingies. It turns out the light thingies just wedge nicely into the neck of the plastic bulb. So then I just had to find a stick thing to be the staff. I got a curtain rod at Goodwill for 3 bucks and after fiddling around with my stash of brass candlesticks and sconces found a combination that I could epoxy onto the end of the rod with a little reinforcement from a screw and thread wound around the sconce part and soaked in epoxy. The base of a lightbulb is wedged tightly (unintentional but it works) into the top part of the sconce. Jam a light into the neck and screw the bulb in, and voila!

I am now going to try to post pictures or a link to pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54614196@N03/?

For whatever reason the pictures come up in order right to left instead of left to right, but that's fairly minor!
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 04:48:34 am »

next time, how about a solar path light?  Your crystal would have to cover the solar panel, or the panel could be on the side of the staff, disguised as something else.

I believe they'll charge with electric light; you'd have to cover the light sensor so it thinks it's dark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: