The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 05:29:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashlight Gun  (Read 1356 times)
Bines
Gunner
United States United States

« on: January 17, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »

The battery powered incandescent flashlight was invented by Enghlish inventor David Misell in 1899.

My next project is to make a flashlight gun. This Momentum Brands foam dart gun was purchased at a thrift store for .85ยข. It operates by pulling back the yellow charging handle, which pulls back a spring and rod with a notch on it. The notch catches a hook on the trigger mechanism. When the trigger is squeezed, the hook is pulled down, releasing the spring loaded rod down the barrel. That is supposed to fire a dart.

I aim to make the rod press a button on a flashlight. Two challenges:
Finding a flashlight of the proper length and diameter with a push button on the end.
Loosening the spring so the rod doesn't destroy the flashlight. I plan to snip off a few coils. 

Most of the gun comes apart with screws. Problem is, the muzzel is glued in place, with some serious glue. I wouldn't be surprised if the glue has melted the plastic together. 

Bines
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »

If I can do that, I'll paint it to look like metal. If my plan doesn't work, and the gun isn't destroyed, I may just make it a Steampunk dart gun, and try to make a flashlight gun more from scratch. I want my props to be functional.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »

That went well. A little hairdryer heat and it's apart. Here it is in the cocked position. I could trim down the muzzle to accept a larger diameter flashlight. I may have to take a little off the rod, as well. That rod slams home with more force than I'd expect from a cheap toy.

Bines
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:43:35 am »

Found a bright three LED flashlight for $1. Too bad it's a bit too big. May have to be on the lookout for a large bore gun.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:44:11 am »

It isn't difficult to extend the barrel with Duro Master Mend or Milliput epoxy putty to accommodate larger internals.

You can add on to the end of the barrel, or cut the barrel and add a section between the two pieces. I did this once with an action figure; body extended through the waist; legs extended above and below knees, and arms above and below elbows; with some sanding and paint the extensions were invisible.

Don't let yourself be limited by what the toy designer did.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:10:44 pm »

try twisting your thinking on this a bit...

see how the trigger works on the side of the rod?
you can operate the flashlight the same way by having two contacts that only  touch when the hook under the rod brushes over them.
that way the flash light will flash instead of just turning on.

most rear switch flashlights use the switch to interrupt the connection from the battery to the metallic body of the flashlight. you can do the exact same thing by drilling a small hole into the flashlight side so that a wire can be slipped in and held in place by the endcap and its inner contact spring. grounding that wire to the flashlight body will close the circuit and light up the flashlight. the actual rear switch is now bypassed.

adding a second wire to the body by screwing the endcap on with the wire under the cap edge will give you something to run to a switch.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 12:55:47 am »

Went a different direction. For $3.99 at Goodwill, I found this- The Zero Blaster! This puppy has an LED light and shoots steam rings!

Bines
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:04:43 am »

I took the whole thing apart, and successfully reassembled it, after giving it the ol' Rub-n-Buff, some black acrylic paint, and some spray on clear coat. And then I glued some gears on it- to add grip to my grip so I could grip it. So, ha! The gears are functional. They also take up negative space.

I used antique gold and Spanish copper mixed together for the frame. It came out more corroded looking than the patina I was after. The triggers, and the piston that strikes the drum to make the steam rings, got only antique gold. The Rub-n-Buff just would not take to the grip or base, so I used acrylic paint. I also had to paint the inside of the gun with black acrylic to keep light from making the red show through.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:15:20 am by Bines » Logged
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 01:07:35 am »

The light works!

Bines
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 01:12:12 am »

I have to get some "fog juice" ammo, but it had enough in it when I bought to see it work.

I'm pretty stoked about it as is, but am open to ideas. Especially on the grip and base. It looks a bit drill like and still has negative space. Not always a bad thing, but sometimes that space should be filled in. The base is where the batteries go.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 05:27:21 am »

I have been trying to work out how to make one of these myself. I never knew that a product already exists. Thank you!

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 07:05:04 pm »

You're welcome. 

Not only does it exist, someone else has Steampunked one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/briankurtz/4208898453

I like how they broke it up with the red. I think I'll leave my clear part clear for the added light effect.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 04:25:30 pm »

This lightsaber  Grin started out as a $5 wooden saber like the one above it. I painted it with various metallic paints. The light is a from a clip on reading light.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: