The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:11:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the difference between Mind, Spirit, and Soul?
The Mind and Spirit are synonymous - 1 (25%)
The Spirit and Soul are one in the same - 0 (0%)
They are independent, yet similar - 3 (75%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magick and the Metaphysical II: Nature of the Soul and such concepts  (Read 534 times)
Immen Augustus Guell
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: January 10, 2016, 01:03:19 am »

Hello Everyone! Time for little chocolate bits.

(Get it? M&M? No? I'll be on my way.)

Anywho my dears, I am here to begin a new thread about Magick and other Metaphysical concepts in steampunk, last one changed into debate about magick and what defines it.

This time we will be talking about The Soul, The Spirit, and The Mind, and their differences and similarities.

Begin!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:29:41 pm »

I would posit that those 3 things are only different if one can truly differentiate them (and possibly demonstrate it).  If we can't decouple Mind from Soul, in some fashion, then they are pretty much the same thing.

I would introduce this concept, for those convinced a soul doesn't exist...

Each of forms a Neural Network in our brains.  It grows continuously based on input it receives from our senses, etc.  If I clone you, ala William vs. Bill Riker on StarTrek: TNG, the other "you" becomes a different person as it experiences other things.

If we have a pair of twins, though alike in DNA, and sharing many common behaviors, they are still different in that one twin experiences the world from a position several inches, feet or more apart from the other. Technically giving the twin a truly different perspective.

Because of this neural network drift, using some kind of replicator or brain copier means that making a copy of somebody can become interesting as that person sees itself as distinct from the original, and from its perspective, it is the original.

That would suggest that this intrinsic pattern of neural network represents something soul-like, even if someone doesn't believe in spirituality.

Personally, I equate that to a Soul.  But it may be a matter of semantics, as I said,if one cannot differentiate other terms.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:01:16 pm »

I would posit that those 3 things are only different if one can truly differentiate them (and possibly demonstrate it).  If we can't decouple Mind from Soul, in some fashion, then they are pretty much the same thing.

I would introduce this concept, for those convinced a soul doesn't exist...

Each of forms a Neural Network in our brains.  It grows continuously based on input it receives from our senses, etc.  If I clone you, ala William vs. Bill Riker on StarTrek: TNG, the other "you" becomes a different person as it experiences other things.

If we have a pair of twins, though alike in DNA, and sharing many common behaviors, they are still different in that one twin experiences the world from a position several inches, feet or more apart from the other. Technically giving the twin a truly different perspective.

Because of this neural network drift, using some kind of replicator or brain copier means that making a copy of somebody can become interesting as that person sees itself as distinct from the original, and from its perspective, it is the original.

That would suggest that this intrinsic pattern of neural network represents something soul-like, even if someone doesn't believe in spirituality.

Personally, I equate that to a Soul.  But it may be a matter of semantics, as I said,if one cannot differentiate other terms.

Yes it is an odd one to ponder. What does make us tick  and where does it go when we die . This is an old conundrum.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »

As with magic I feel this is another 'varies on setting' type question.

For instance a setting with a present and active deity or with heavens or hells might take one line while something inspired by the 'Do Vikings Have Steampunk Potential' thread would likely take a completely different tack on the notion of self, existence and afterlife. Then we have other things such as Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy where a part of the persons self manifests physically as their daemon. Earlier I was contemplating a setting (or a possible addition to one I've been mulling over for a while) in which starlings as considered sacred, seen as a physical manifestation of a dead persons soul on earth, with the great murmurations of migration being considered truly holy events with people undertaking great pilgrimages to follow their migration each year.

If we're discussing our real world though, then personally I'd consider the three to be synonymous; all an attempt to characterize, understand and rationalize what it is that makes us us and to render it separate from the earth-bound sack of gas and meat we inhabit - A tragedy really, because that sack of gas and meat and all the fiddly wobbly bits and sloshy chemicals is what makes you you.

Classically though I'm given to understand that all three are separate, in a Christian sense of things anyway.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 05:39:43 pm »

The setting or timeframe likely does apply.

As my point is of what we know now about brains and how we can't necessarily prove there is a division of soul, mind and spirit in a fashion that is testable, that is not necessarily the point from the 1800s view of things, or of a fictional setting...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: