The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 17, 2018, 07:32:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Christmas challenge.  (Read 4237 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 09:11:37 pm »

... a turkey and gin sandwich, on the other hand, could be perfectly acceptable.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 07:49:47 am »

That implies leftover gin.  An alien concept, if ever there was.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »

By George! Aliens! That explains where it went! (I knew I couldn't have drunk it all!)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »

It's that time again - does anyone feel like submitting an entry to the Christmas challenge? I feel it should be opened out this year to accommodate those territories who do not indulge in Christmas crackers, so this year the challenge is to make something Steampunk which incorporates item or items from a cracker or a Christmas decoration (or if you're particularly into mystic and occult practices, maybe the turkey bones...)

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:32:57 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 07:03:33 pm »

Sadly, despite crackers this year, novelty pickings have been slim...  Embarrassed

Perhaps I can conjure some baubles into something!

Hmmm...

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 10:38:13 am »

Hmm... My Christmas trinket were nail-clippers and the bloke’s was a bottle opener. I will have to see what I can come up with. Challenge accepted!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 06:41:14 pm »

Hopefully,  before you use them.......

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 01:55:59 am »

No Christmas crackers at all this year! I will have to provide them next year.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 07:12:42 pm »

And hopefully when said crackers were not home made, acting as mini grenades at the table.

Does it count if the Christmas Cracker contents had to be surgically removed from a family member?

Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 01:00:10 am »

And hopefully when said crackers were not home made, acting as mini grenades at the table.

Does it count if the Christmas Cracker contents had to be surgically removed from a family member?

Hmm... The juxtaposition of the blood on the object could well enhance the viewer's perception of the piece.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 12:09:09 am »

So, here are most of the bits I chose to use, just missing the LEDs, button cells and a couple of beads:

The parts donated by the cracker are the curled wires; they were one of those puzzles where the wires are intertwined and you have to work out how to separate them. All of two minutes fun... The other Christmas related parts are the two bumpy silver items. They are the caps off two baubles I used a couple of years ago to make our airship decoration.

So these came together to make a pair of Aetheric Disruptor (raygun  Wink) earrings:

The button cells to power each LED are in the caps and the cog on the end does have a purpose (  Wink )- it's one of the terminals for the batteries, the other being the metal wire from the cracker puzzle.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:20 pm »

Brilliant as always my dear Miranda.
We didn't have crackers but I did buy some decorations ridiculously cheaply a couple of weeks ago because the shape just said 'steampunk power crystal'. I have no idea what they are going to be used for - something that needs steampunk power crystals I suppose!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 11:14:01 pm »

Brilliant as always my dear Miranda.
We didn't have crackers but I did buy some decorations ridiculously cheaply a couple of weeks ago because the shape just said 'steampunk power crystal'. I have no idea what they are going to be used for - something that needs steampunk power crystals I suppose!

Thank you! It's always good to have bits and bobs in stock; it may not be obvious just what they'll be used for now, but at some point they will be the perfect thing for that new project.

Yours,
Miranda.

Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 03:07:19 am »

They look great, Miranda, but now you have put the pressure on... I spent a bit of time last night trying to figure out how to make a Steampunk creature out of the nail-clippers and bottle opener that we got in our Christmas crackers... I now, at least, have an idea!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 07:06:42 pm »

They look great, Miranda, but now you have put the pressure on... I spent a bit of time last night trying to figure out how to make a Steampunk creature out of the nail-clippers and bottle opener that we got in our Christmas crackers... I now, at least, have an idea!

I'm looking forwards to seeing the little beastie!

Yours,
Miranda.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 07:12:04 am »

Fast and dirty - and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to use the nail-clippers. I tried to bend them (too hard for me) tried to make them into a weapon for Ned to hold, but that didn't work either. I DID use them to make Ned's eyes, which were made by pressing the end of the clippers into the poly-clay, to 'technically' they were used. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

And I could have polished up the brass a bit, but I wanted to get it done before next Christmas!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 02:52:36 pm »

Oh, I do like Ned!!
Well done, Synistor!
I will even forgive the taking of cousin Ned's name in vain for your little sculpture. Grin

And I bet those ray gun earrings will be a hit next Christmas - "Hand over the trifle, or I will fry you with my earrings!"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:51 pm »

Fast and dirty - and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to use the nail-clippers. I tried to bend them (too hard for me) tried to make them into a weapon for Ned to hold, but that didn't work either. I DID use them to make Ned's eyes, which were made by pressing the end of the clippers into the poly-clay, to 'technically' they were used. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

And I could have polished up the brass a bit, but I wanted to get it done before next Christmas!

He is lovely! His face is just brilliant and his coil haircut is the perfect finishing touch  Smiley.

(snip)

And I bet those ray gun earrings will be a hit next Christmas - "Hand over the trifle, or I will fry you with my earrings!"

It's a thought; although I'm so clumsy I'd probably end up burning off my own earlobes  Roll Eyes.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 12:04:13 pm »

So cute; does he have a backstory?
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2018, 03:38:10 am »

I guess he looked a bit like Ned Kelly (Australian Bushranger).

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 08:16:01 pm »

Hopefully without his criminal tendencies.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 01:31:03 am »

Yes, I have no idea why such a man achieved the 'status' that he did. He was a filthy, murdering (person whose parents weren't married). Why movies depicted him as the poor, decent man fighting against the evils of tyranny I will never understand. He was never decent.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 02:25:54 am »

Well, technically, as his parents were married he wasn't one of those at all!
His mum and my great-grandmother were cousins. And their backstory was quite interesting!!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 09:28:37 pm »

Yes, I know we're only just past Easter but it's never too early to think about Christmas, is it?  Wink

More seriously, I thought I'd put this here as it is made from a decoration I picked up in the post Christmas sales. I decided a frock needed a topping for its bustle, and came up with this:

The heart is the decoration, although the faux purls on wire were the decoration from a Christmas cracker. The heart originally had placcy red 'jewels' and a multicoloured bow, which were quickly removed. It was hollow, but I split it into two so that some scrap material could be put into it. The halves are held together by the copper cord; the idea is the material inside can be changed to work with the frock it is attached to (via buttons wired onto its back). The lock cover and key were from The Works craft section and the bow from my bits and bobs box (wired on so again this can be changed to match the frock).

Yours,
Miranda.
urgolem
Gunner
Belgium Belgium

Explorigator II

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2018, 03:06:08 pm »

The face of your intriguing Ned makes me think of an ancient computer graphic pasting of mine (well, it's not really a steampunk, but rather a kind of a "middleagespunk")  Wink - a detail :

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:08:06 pm by urgolem » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: