The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:46:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Christmas cracker challenge.  (Read 1696 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 30, 2015, 12:09:05 am »

Following on from the seasonal festivities, I suppose many households will, like ourselves, have a little pile of tat trinkets from the Christmas crackers. So, a little challenge - use one or more of these as part of a Steampunk creation. For my part, I'm going to be using some plastic golf tees to help realise an idea I've had knocking around in my head for a few months - hopefully some pictures by the the end of the week.

So, any takers for the challenge?

Yours,
Miranda.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 06:17:03 am »

Hmmmm...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:13:30 am »

Yes I am up for the challenge Miss Miranda .

I will consider a Montage of some arrangement .
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:34:32 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I've yet to find Christmas crackers in Madrid. Sad
All the best to the contestants!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:26:21 am »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Same here. The American Colonies lack such a peculiar trinket containing device. Most of the time, trinkets are to be found inside the Christmas stockings on the fireplace.  

Otherwise, we have to look south of the border to the Mexican Piñata.  A tad bigger, but it does make a banging sound and is full of small foods and trinkets  Grin Sadly, that is not for a Christmas celebration, but rather you have to way for someone's birthday, usually a child. It would look really bad if I stalked some poor family celebrating a child's birthday and I jumped into the children’s fray to steal some trinkets  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:17:05 am »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Same here. The American Colonies lack such a peculiar trinket containing device. Most of the time, trinkets are to be found inside the Christmas stockings on the fireplace. 

Otherwise, we have to look south of the border to the Mexican Piñata.  A tad bigger, but it does make a banging sound and is full of small foods and trinkets  Grin Sadly, that is not for a Christmas celebration, but rather you have to way for someone's birthday, usually a child. It would look really bad if I stalked some poor family celebrating a child's birthday and I jumped into the children’s fray to steal some trinkets  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Oh, you are missing out! You get the 'snap', a silly paper hat, the aforementioned trinket and a 'wonderful' joke such as the ones listed here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comedy/what-to-see/50-best-christmas-cracker-jokes/.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 06:50:05 pm »

I don't buy/make christmas crackers as we have tiny Santa's Sleigh presents instead (in theory they fit on the 1/12th scale sleigh that santa drives across the dinner table), but I really like the challenge and will put the word out to friends to see what 'trinkets' have survived their christmas' - or go and buy a box from Poundland and see what turns up in them.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »

....what is a christmas cracker?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:40:23 pm »

A tube made from paper and cardboard containing a friction activated explosive charge, a folded crown, a less then funny joke (and in most cases) a very cheep nasty gift.

Some of the more "Up Market" crackers contain usable and attractive gifts with the more expensive containing jewellery or perfume.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:41:57 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 07:34:25 pm »

A tube made from paper and cardboard containing a friction activated explosive charge, a folded crown, a less then funny joke (and in most cases) a very cheep nasty gift.

Some of the more "Up Market" crackers contain usable and attractive gifts with the more expensive containing jewellery or perfume.

ah! thanks for explaining!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 09:07:31 am »

Ah yes, nothing says "christmas" like an explosive charge going off in my hand!

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 12:42:42 pm »

Ah yes, nothing says "christmas" like an explosive charge going off in my hand!

yhs
prof marvel

Alas they quite frequently fail to go off in any spectacular fashion, but you still have to wear the paper hat! (always of the one-size-fits-nobody variety).
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 04:38:05 am »

Re the jokes; it is of course obligatory for everybody to read out their joke, however feeble.

One of our funniest Christmas dinners was the year we went really cheap on the crackers.  It turned out they all had the same joke.  But of course everybody had to read theirs out in turn ...

No very memorable trinkets in this year's bunch but small tape measures are not unknown, and we can all use those.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 11:34:51 pm »

As promised, here is my attempt. In the end from the crackers I used the golf-tees and a bottle opener (I have no use for the latter either; if I tried to use it to to open my favorite tipple it would make a terrible mess of the decanter...) In addition to these I used a 'free' pen given away on the cover of Doctor Who Adventures (which has been in the pen-bowl for ages; neither of my children subscribe to the magazine anymore), a necklace chain and a few sundry items from the bits-box.

Here is the ensemble together as a pendant:

I was aiming for a Steampunk/Art Deco combination. The pen is removable and, although rather cut-down from its original form, still useable:

So, what are the tees used for? Well, remove the innards of the pen and its end and it becomes a blowpipe for the golf-tee 'darts':

One never knows when a little sleep-dart might come in handy...

So, any other cracker creations to show?

Yours,
Miranda.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:12:38 am »

Beautiful and functional. Very nicely wrought, Miss Miranda.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 09:17:14 pm »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Can you not get them at Marks and Spencer? Or at El Corte Inglés?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:19:17 pm by Keith_Beef » Logged

--
Keith
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 08:48:40 pm »

Beautiful and functional. Very nicely wrought, Miss Miranda.

Thank you - one of my aims for my little creations is that they should have both a fantasy Steampunk use and a real-world one too.

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 08:47:07 am »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Can you not get them at Marks and Spencer? Or at El Corte Inglés?

We don't have a Marks and Sparks in Madrid. If the El Corte Inlgés stocked them last Christmas, they were well hidden from view.

The only possibilities were the British Ladies' Christmas Jumble Sale and a shop called Taste of America.

When I arrived at the British Ladies' the crackers were all sold, and the ones at Taste of America were embarrassingly over-priced.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 12:27:42 am »

As the big day is nearly upon us, I would like to reissue the Christmas Cracker challenge; so, in between the Christmas pud and the charades, or maybe the nth* and (n + 1)th glass of wine, as the crackers are pulled please do save the little trinkets therein and make wonderful steamy things to amaze us with. Alternatively, a what about a Steampunk twist on their hilarious** jokes?

Yours,
Miranda.

* Insert an appropriate value for n here.
** The level of hilarity may correlate with the value of n...
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 03:00:07 pm »

As the big day is nearly upon us, I would like to reissue the Christmas Cracker challenge; so, in between the Christmas pud and the charades, or maybe the nth* and (n + 1)th glass of wine, as the crackers are pulled please do save the little trinkets therein and make wonderful steamy things to amaze us with. Alternatively, a what about a Steampunk twist on their hilarious** jokes?

Yours,
Miranda.

* Insert an appropriate value for n here.
** The level of hilarity may correlate with the value of n...

I would like to put myself forward for the challenge... seeing as we have no crackers this year -(for the first time in ages, we've been asked out for Xmas dinner! Iä! ) so it will be a challenge!

HP

EDIT: No luck with the trinkets... I'll have to see what I can do with leftover decorations, if that counts?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:38:20 pm by Hektor Plasm » Logged

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 08:32:44 pm »

Christmas crackers aren't common here in the land of Yankees, but Pier 1 Imports often has them.  Wait for a sale, of course, because everything in that store is at least thrice a reasonable price.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 07:14:11 am »

I received a small faux silver picture frame in my cracker yesterday!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 09:34:27 pm »

We decided to stuff our crackers with our own gifts this year, so the 'donor' crackers were the cheapest we could find, with their novelties consistent with this. However, amid them this little chap took my eye:

It's one of those little jumping frogs, but it's also a virulent shade of green and glows in the dark. It put me in mind of an Amazon jungle poison dart frog, which got me thinking; if one was off on adventures involving possible peril, it might be jolly useful to have a little pot of diluted frog poison. Not strong enough to kill, you understand (that would be unsporting), but strong enough to temporarily incapacitate. Of course, you'd need to clearly indicate which this was so you didn't accidentally use it on yourself...

So, to add to this little project I used:

On the left is a little sampler perfume bottle, nearly empty, which I'd been wondering what to do with. On the right is a little leftover from the Christmas day meal...

Putting these together gave:

The idea is to add this to a chin so it can be worn as necklace, although I may rework the wire before then. As you can see, I've given my little poison frog some buggily eyes, a bit of bling and several coats of lacquer to make him a bit more shiny. And in reality, of course, the bottle will continue to hold perfume for a quick top-up whilst out and about.

Did anyone else feel inspired to make a cracker Creation?

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:38:00 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:46 pm »

Curse you Miranda! You win...again!!

Grin

Seriously bad on the cracker front this year- I had an eye on a tiny bag of silver plastic (!) skittles, and some sort of folding mirror, neither of which was particularly inspiring... sigh. They all disappeared.

Would something made from baubles do? I have baubles!

HP
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 12:46:27 am »

(snip)

Would something made from baubles do? I have baubles!

HP

Oh, definitely! Maybe it should be a 'Christmas leftovers' challenge, although hopefully that would not encourage someone to create a turkey and cogs sandwich...

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: