The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:54:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual steampunk Dream  (Read 1008 times)
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:17 am »

Hey Folks, Not Too Long ago, i had a Rather Unusual kinda Steampunk Dream that was Part Doctor Who and Part Star Trek Featuring a Group of kinda Steampunk Fembots. I Rarely Talk about this, but  I Thought this might be the Place to Mention it. has Anyone ever had Similar Dreams?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:38:40 am »

Hey Folks, Not Too Long ago, i had a Rather Unusual kinda Steampunk Dream that was Part Doctor Who and Part Star Trek Featuring a Group of kinda Steampunk Fembots. I Rarely Talk about this, but  I Thought this might be the Place to Mention it. has Anyone ever had Similar Dreams?

This is the most interesting question I have heard in a while.  I can honestly say that I don't remember having a properly Steampunk dream or nightmare at least since 2009. Does that make me a bad Steampunk?  But I'm rather interested to see if others have...

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:45:10 am »

I had my 1st and 2nd steampunk dreams recently. I am now almost  too scared to close my eyes. 

Both  centred around madcap explorers in pith helmets and jungles.  It must be the  cucumber sandwiches I have been eating lately .

The last dream inspired me to  research garden parties.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:08:02 pm »

Nothing steampunk, but I've had dreams recently of:
-being taught a magical technique to walk through mirrors,
-being a four-legged wolf (yes, I know what it actually feels like to walk as a wolf. no, I wouldn't believe it either if it hadn't happened to me)
-being stalked by a giant pikeminnow while paddling my kayak,
-Building a TARDIS interior out of giant lego-type building blocks,
-Going home to a nightmarish dreamworld version of my childhood home and finding it had been built on the ruins of some kind of horrifying lovecraftian temple. Huh Shocked

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 02:36:09 am »

Nothing steampunk, but I've had dreams recently of:
-being taught a magical technique to walk through mirrors,
-being a four-legged wolf (yes, I know what it actually feels like to walk as a wolf. no, I wouldn't believe it either if it hadn't happened to me)
-being stalked by a giant pikeminnow while paddling my kayak,
-Building a TARDIS interior out of giant lego-type building blocks,
-Going home to a nightmarish dreamworld version of my childhood home and finding it had been built on the ruins of some kind of horrifying lovecraftian temple. Huh Shocked

To many Christmas minces or was it the tipsy trifle
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:50:38 am »

Personally I have never had a dream and have absolutely no concept of 'dreaming' so my answer would be no.

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 03:31:28 pm »

I had a couple of them during my life.

- I dreamed i was travelling in a alternate 1|2 neo gothic 1|2 art deco version of montreal in a steampowered late-1960's|1970's style car on sky hight road passing throught the gigantic Jesus head who constituated the top of a building (possibly a cathedral).

- I dreamed i stopped in a gigantic gaz station managed by a A.i  inhabiting a room size antique televisor and expressing himself throught a super-8 quality video of a young man dressed as a old man.

- I dreamed than my day camp buddies landed in my childhood home's terrain in a brown and white cow skin colored blimp.

- I dreamed i was in a steampunk convention, but like i wasn't very experienced at that time nothing was really steampunk.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:33:22 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
T. C. Halloway
Officer

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 05:35:17 am »

In general, I dream in sepia-tone.

In particular, my recent dreams have included Lovecraftian horrors, mad chases through cobblestoned alleys, and explosions/lightning strikes of alarming frequency.

Most of my dreams take place in 19th century Prague.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:10 am »

I frequently have steampunk dreams, but they are all about what I am currently building or about to build.  They have given me lots of ideas, but not very interesting otherwise.

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 02:27:39 pm »

I believe I had my first truely Steampunk dream last night. (Makes a change from the normal night terrors and crap ya pants scary shyte)

I was on an airship with Taylor Momsen of all people as chief engineer, something in the engine room blew and we were desperately trying to keep the ol' girl aloft.

Explosions and water flooding (which doesn't really make sense) but we saved the day and the airship was more than fit to fly again.... with pride.

There ya' go.

Yep, trepidation but not the normal wake up in sweat soaked sheets, shouting, kinda thing.

(I have a history of sleep disorder, sleepwalking etc since a small child)

Positively wonderfull, and no, it wasn't erotic just because there was a girly engineer, so put that thought away, Gents.  Wink

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 11:30:32 pm »

Aubreay, everybody dreams, but not everyone remembers their dreams.

Dreams help us process the day's information and organise it for future reference. Some amazing scientific discoveries are the results of dreams their inventors/creators have had while puzzling over their particular piece of research. It's sort of like your subconscious tapping you on the shoulder and saying "Don't worry about this or that problem, I'll take care of it while you sleep".
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 11:51:05 pm »

After watching  2 horror / action movies in a row  the other night I had such a wild sci fi nightmare I woke the household in the early hours  screaming for help in my sleep .

I dreamed of being  one of a  series of humanoids being dismantled for parts   by a crew so enthused by their task they were into deactivating us first.

I woke myself up as I was being dragged off to be wrenched apart limb from limb.

we were semi mannequin   and  held together by bionic joints;  complete with serial numbers on our limbs

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 01:37:05 pm »

Read an article the other day on how it was the point between sleep and awake that is the best time for creative thinking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hypnogogia-dreams-creativity_us_56c5d16ce4b0c3c55053de38?ir=Science&section=us_science&utm_hp_ref=science

Its called Hypnogogia.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:39:56 pm by Maets » Logged
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »

I had a dream a few nights ago that I was going to use brass rods to braze some steel for a Steampunk project and was out of flux. Then I remembered that I had a box of 20 Mule Team Borax in the laundry room. When I awoke, I wondered if this was feasible. One awake time Google search has confirmed that this will work, but isn't optimal. Now I'm puzzled as to why I'm dreaming about brazing. I did it once or twice in college for a sculpture class, but that was decades ago.

I'll listen to some Abney Park and Professor Elemental then I'll make a big plate of Welsh rarebit right before I go to bed tonight and see if anything interesting pops up in Slumberland.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:07:02 pm by Burgess Shale » Logged

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 10:18:27 pm »

I have a recurring kind of dream/nightmare about being the fireman and pilot aboard a gigantic city-sized locomotive, with a crew made up of what I tend to think of as reality-ish Theives World/Discworld persons (meaning what they would be like in reality, if such a reality existed, as opposed to the fictional ideal types set up by Pratchett and Asprin (and co. et al) in their books). As in many of my dreams and nightmares, things aboard the Locomotive (it always has a name, but it's different and more bizarre every time) almost never work out the way I'd prefer, and frequently to my detriment.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:03:47 am »

Read an article the other day on how it was the point between sleep and awake that is the best time for creative thinking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hypnogogia-dreams-creativity_us_56c5d16ce4b0c3c55053de38?ir=Science&section=us_science&utm_hp_ref=science

Its called Hypnogogia.

This is  very interesting.  I have these experiences. Falling asleep briefly and having a vivid dream or flash. I  too find them very inspirational at times. They often occur in the early  morning  after  drifting off  back  into sleep;  or later afternoon after dropping off to sleep for a  brief moment or  several minutes of  napping.  I can wake up believing what I dreamed , they are so vivid and realistic. Some of these dream interludes are almost psychic in nature.

I do have a life time  history of  sleep paralysis , as do other family members. There is epilepsy in the family, night terrors , sleep walking and talking.   My sleep patterns were heavily disrupted  for several years by family members health issues and chronic wakefulness. I was being woken every hour or half hour around the clock.   I have has historic head injuries.  I was tested for narcolepsy and sleep apnoea as I  developed a tendency to fall asleep  suddenly for seconds,  minutes or hours.  I would experience vivid dreams, hallucinations and sleep paralysis. I was told that it was my body's way of catching up with sleep, that  sleep deprivation was  making me have sudden sleep episodes  and putting me straight into REM sleep; which was generating the dreams.

Many of these dream states could be considered hallucinations. I could wake up convinced I was in another room  in another town, with other people or in another era.  This could be an extended  dream scenario or momentary flash  as I drifted in and out of consciousness. Witnesses have said I have  spoken to them in conversation that does not correspond with what they were saying to me.  Sometimes my leg kicks or my arm flicks. It has happened while  talking with others, while walking  or engaging in other physical activity.

Since I have been able to have  extended  sleep periods I will sleep for  4  to 6 hours at a stretch  and have less of the sudden sleep episodes. I have less of the dream/ hallucination episodes and almost miss them.  Recent ones have included being at a beach side cabin and another in a room furnished with pink chintz. There is also  an old country town  I frequently  find myself in back in the day.

T. C. Halloway
Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 01:33:16 am »

How's this for a Steampunk Dream:
Last night I dreamt about a space ship that crashed in the English countryside in the early 1800's. The astronaut spent the next fifty years looking for a way to fix the ship. In the mean time, he built a large mansion around it and got married. On his deathbed, he told the truth to his son Peter, a scientist working for a secret government project. Peter was able to fix the ship with his fiancée, Moira. He was opposed by a secret agent named James. Eventually, Peter fixed the ship. Moira stayed behind, and eventually married a banker surnamed Darling. James had his hand torn off in the machinery of the ship, stowed aboard and became a criminal mastermind on Peter's homeworld. He later built himself a mechanical hand to replace the one he lost. Peter visited often, but due to faster than light travel over long distances he stayed young while everyone else aged.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: