The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 07:13:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wild Wild West  (Read 1122 times)
Mr. Syson
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 27, 2015, 01:24:14 am »

Has anyone watched the whole 100 or so episodes? I've found them on youtube and watched the first 18 episodes. All in black & white. Kind of fun in an Adam West 1960's Batman sort of way. Not really sure about the steampunk content though.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 02:25:44 am »

It is one of the corner stones of SteamPunk.

http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/profile/RobertConrad 

-Karl
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 02:06:13 pm »

First season of 28 episodes were all in B&W.
Seasons 3 - 4 all in colour.
104 episodes plus 2 reunion films.
The whole lot available in one large U.S. (R1) or Australian (R0) 27 disc box set in a tin.

Which I have.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Mr. Syson
Officer

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:13:08 pm »

Does it evolve? The first 18 episodes have been quite formulaic. West & Gordon discuss the problem, West goes in & is captured (often by a knockout gas). He is followed by Gordon who is knocked out/hypnotised. West saves the day mostly by himself & gets the girl. Don't get me wrong it's very enjoyable but there aren't many surprises.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 02:17:48 am »

It made a lot more impression on me when I was a lad. Things were like that in the 60s. It was comparable to Star Trek (TOS), they even used some of the same theme music.

Miguelito Loveless was the most Steampunk of them all. It had it's moments, but I've remembered it since...back then
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:03:04 pm »

Does it evolve? The first 18 episodes have been quite formulaic. West & Gordon discuss the problem, West goes in & is captured (often by a knockout gas). He is followed by Gordon who is knocked out/hypnotised. West saves the day mostly by himself & gets the girl. Don't get me wrong it's very enjoyable but there aren't many surprises.

They had a winning formula and did not stray far afield. As epis progressed the budget got larger and there were more steampunk scifi props, like steam powered robots and tanks. markf
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/CessnaDriver/PDVD_000-2.jpg

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Dr Robert Maycock
Deck Hand
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 02:09:22 pm »

I watched them as a kid , it's kind of fun watching them all again on YouTube.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 08:16:40 am »

Yes, they even had 4 chapters, or acts ... and as so many things in the early 60's once they had a formula that worked, gawd help anyone who questioned it.

I too have been watching old stuph from the past lately; unfortunately it does not seem to hold up as well as I remembered

yhs
prof jaded

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 09:27:58 am »

The Wild Wild West was a Cornerstone of Steampunk,IMHO! it's Too Bad that when Hollywood Re-invents something as Classic as Wild Wild West, They RFU it to Death! a Few of the Vehicles from the Show just Scream Steampunk!  the Will Smith version of Wild Wild West was a Great Interpretation of Wild Wild West and Showed that  Will Smith Could Do Justice to  James West!  Hope to One day get my Hands on the Classic Wild Wild West for my Private DVD Library! btw, a Good Sorce for the Series on DVD is  www.oldies.com ! You can Find Shows like Wild Wild West for Bird Price Cheesy
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 08:12:54 pm »

The Wild Wild West was a Cornerstone of Steampunk,IMHO! it's Too Bad that when Hollywood Re-invents something as Classic as Wild Wild West, They RFU it to Death! a Few of the Vehicles from the Show just Scream Steampunk!  the Will Smith version of Wild Wild West was a Great Interpretation of Wild Wild West and Showed that  Will Smith Could Do Justice to  James West!  Hope to One day get my Hands on the Classic Wild Wild West for my Private DVD Library! btw, a Good Sorce for the Series on DVD is  www.oldies.com ! You can Find Shows like Wild Wild West for Bird Price Cheesy

While a lot of people criticized the modern movie remakes,  and I'm no fan of Will Smith,  I have to agree that the movies were very Steampunk and we'll to the point.  They perhaps benefited from the existence of the Steampunk movement itself,  since while Steampunk,  the original TV series came out at a time when the movement itself still didn't exist.

Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 11:24:42 pm »

I had enjoyed watching the first dozen or so episodes as inspiration for this past Teslacon. I went back to the Youtube channel recently to find that it had been shut down. If I need to watch again, I can bit the proverbial bullet and buy the set of discs.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 12:15:03 am »

The Wild, Wild West was one of the things that got me into Cowboy Action Shooting.  I always loved the gadgets and secret devices and weapons.

I wrote a whole 6 stage Cowboy Action Shooting match based on TWW.

Here is a link to the stage descriptions:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt8vwgvjmiemygk/Wild%20Wild%20West%201.pdf?dl=0

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 01:23:50 am »

I lucked into the fancy boxed set for about $30, complete with no damage, at a Half Price Books location. I haven't watched them all, yet, but yes, many episodes were very Steamy, before that was a thing. There's a cyborg, a magnetically guided torpedo disguised as a sea serpent, a sort of exoskeleton, a steam-powered automaton (controlled via pipe organ!), and so forth.

Some elements of the show are a bit cringe-worthy today (misogyny, anyone?), and you can't help but notice Conrad's platform cowboy boots (how short was that guy?), but overall the show still manages to be very watchable, as long as you keep your tongue firmly in your cheek for some of these.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 01:26:48 am »

p.s. to the Mods:  Shouldn't this be in Aural-Ocular?
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 01:50:45 am »

Yes, they even had 4 chapters, or acts ... and as so many things in the early 60's once they had a formula that worked, gawd help anyone who questioned it.

I too have been watching old stuph from the past lately; unfortunately it does not seem to hold up as well as I remembered

yhs
prof jaded

My friend calls that "The Suck Fairy paid a visit."

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: