The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:25:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Unexpected Welcome Home  (Read 1872 times)
Professor_Sinclair
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: March 09, 2007, 07:19:37 am »

Dear Sir or Madam,

About a week ago I stumbled across a curious contraption that took my imagination, a so called 'Steampunk keyboard'. A short investigation into this 'Steampunk' led me here, to this forum, where after a short time a chill ran up my spine. Excitement at discovering that I am not the only person with a zeppelin obsession, (apropos as I live near the once great air-dock in Akron, birthplace of the great airships Akron and Macon), but also at the ornamented experiment and curiosity manifest in Verne and the forum's inhabitants. Further, I was intrigued by the venerable Datamancer's description of steampunk, paraphrasing; A rejection of  disposable technology in favor of the era when it was novel and romantic.

And so, it was in this light I found myself, sitting in the deep of a university night, listening to the haunting, fixating strains of Abney Park, hearing an ethereal voice offering a unexpected, "Welcome home."

Most Sincerely, and Introducing:

Professor B. Sinclair B.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:56:57 am by Professor_Sinclair » Logged

One's life is only as interesting as one makes it.
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:18:20 am »

A great welcome to the forum, and expect this topic to be moved presently. Nothing personal, but the moderators here are pretty on-the-ball about that sort of thing.

I know exactly how you feel. I am only just now getting over the shock of finding this place and realizing "I'm not the only one!" I still don't know whether it's good or bad. I suspect you'll find that you share more in common with many here than a zeppelin fixation. I've noticed zeppelin obsessions tend to be part of a matched set of interests that most of the posters here share.

Again, a hearty welcome, we're glad to have you aboard. I believe the ship is off to Prague next for some sightseeing.

Regards,
Alexander

The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:34:10 am »

A tip of the hat and hearty handshake to you, my friend. We look forward to getting to know you.
Haha, "the venerable Datamancer"...surely, you flatter me.

Welcome Home.

-~VD~-  (!)

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 04:10:19 pm »

...as I live near the once great air-dock in Akron, birthplace of the great airships Akron and Macon

Nothing personal, but, you bastard.  Sorry, my jealousy is sometimes uncontrollable.  Welcome to the board Smiley

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:29:56 pm »

Yes, that moment of Steampunk discovery is truly indescribable! 

::Hands him a deep red drink::
::Gestures towards an unoccupied seat in front of a roaring fireplace::

Welcome home indeed, good sir!

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 03:52:56 am »

Yes, I felt that way two years ago! There is always room for another Crewmember in our humble fleet, but you better not forget your duties! Be sure to check for air-kraken, quite the nusiance in this season as their migratory journey started yesterday.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Lasairfion
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 11:38:21 am »

Oh, fancy missing your introduction post... well, welcome anyway. Don't you just love airships?
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 08:26:26 pm »

yeah welcome,

it was a really neat thing for me to see that all of these random interests that I had (victorianism, science, literature, tinkering) had a name as well.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: