The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:50:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New War of the Worlds TV series to be made  (Read 740 times)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« on: December 16, 2015, 11:05:04 am »

Hopefully this will eradicate the memory of that god awful Tom Cruise movie

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/war-of-the-worlds-set-for-uk-television-adaptation/5098070.article

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:29:31 pm »

Definitely one to look out for in a year or so - thanks for flagging it up.

Yours,
Miranda.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:32:00 am »

How are they going to drag it out to a whole season?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:48:06 pm »

Well if it follows the same format as other productions by this company it will be 6 episodes at the most. (Their Poldark was 8 episodes I think but that was based on the first 2 books in the series.)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 06:44:58 pm »

Rather looking forward to this! 

The write-up looks very promising indeed.  Just so long as it doesn't end up like the Pendragon version of a few years ago. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »

A fine link and a fine bit of news!

They're a good production company and with Perter Harness writing it will hopefully be great *fingers crossed*

I only hope that the Martian war machine design is more in the style of the 2005 film (or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume II), rather than erring toward the Jeff Wayne end of the spectrum.

Interestingly it looks like next year might see more War of the Worlds type stuff, according to this link here it looks like Stephen Baxter is penning a War of the Worlds II  - The Martians Strike Back.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 10:25:30 am »

I just hope it won't be a watered down version suitable just for the coglings

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:06 pm »

There was once a tv-series where Earth had bern invaded by aliens in giant tripods. Based on another book though.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 06:58:20 pm »

The Tripods (1984)?  Always thought that could have been better but I suppose for the time rhe effects were pretty OK.

Looking forward to the predicted WOTW series!

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 08:04:01 pm »

I'd rather have a good story than good effects. Personally I'd rather see them do something with Dr. Moreau.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 05:54:49 pm »

I'm rather hoping for a good story AND good effects (... and a gorgeous leading man - who has to take his shirt off at some point.  Well he did in Poldark!)
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »

Personally I'd rather see them do something with Dr. Moreau.

There have been several Film versions of  The Island of Dr. Moreau, none of which were considered to be particulary good.
As recently as 2013, Leonardo DiCaprio was reported to be developing a new film version of the story.

The latest news is that CBS is currently developing a television series based on the H.G.Welles novel, under the supervision of Phillip Iscove, creator of Sleepy Hollow. This is to be titled "Moreau".
This is where the good news ends I'm afraid. The new adaptation is to be set in modern day, and features

"“fiercely intelligent and fearless” Dr. Katherine Moreau, who expands the boundaries of medicine through revolutionary scientific experimentation and treatments in her privately funded island hospital."

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 08:54:16 pm »

I know, which is why I'd like them to take another stab at it.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 04:20:01 pm »

Rather looking forward to this! 

The write-up looks very promising indeed.  Just so long as it doesn't end up like the Pendragon version of a few years ago. 

*Shudder* looks at some pictures from it and the reviews and have tried to delete it form memory.
The Asylums versions were only slightly better but still crap.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: