The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:07:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decorative gears that look good?  (Read 806 times)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« on: December 14, 2015, 05:31:36 am »

I just saw this coat in hot topic today:

It's not presented as TrendySteampunktm, but from their Doctor Who stuff and supposed to be styled after the gears in the new intro sequence. The design doesn't strike me as being DW themed either, but I like the coat anyway.

Opinions? Has anyone else seen clothing designs or other decorative gear stuff they like?

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:12:29 pm »

Are the gears removable?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »

Are the gears removable?

nope, embroidered.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 02:25:30 pm »

I like it! I don´t see any problems with decorative gears like this.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »

A lot of the new hot topic doctor who stuff is somewhat Victorian/steampunk and I'm totally digging it. Hot topic also has corset back jackets, in several styles, and nice retro/swing dresses and skirts.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:13:14 pm »

Hmm, it's a nice coat, and if I were a female lady of the opposite sex on that side of the Atlantic I'd probably consider buying it (although like you AV, I can't really say it strikes me as having any connection to Doctor Who) but for some reason the gears on the lapels don't work for me, but the ones at the bottom do (maybe it's because the ones on the lapels look (to me at least) like they've been put there as an afterthought a la TrendySteampunktm).

I suppose it's a good example of the place of decorative Gears in Steampunk (they can work, just don't festoon an item with them so it 'looks Steampunk').

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 04:39:08 pm »

It's a nice cut and a pretty design. If you like it, buy it and sort out the politics later. Haters gotta hate Cheesy

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 04:47:48 pm »

Sometimes haters hate for a good reason. As someone else mentioned, the gears feel as if they were just added as an afterthought.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 04:56:21 pm »

Ah you see I'm past that. I'm looking at The Prisoner related collar so where some people were getting insult, I was getting well sourced cultural references and ironic reinterpretation.

You see what you want to see. Clothing is a mirror, it tells you more about yourself. 
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 05:00:23 pm »

hum. I like them anyway.

i have decorative gears on my lapels too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »

It's a perfectly fine coat, the gears just doesn't add anything. They could have used them as buttons or fasteners instead.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 05:07:32 pm »

As I said, you see what you want to see.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 05:11:48 pm »

hum. I like them anyway.

Now those look quite nice and actually add something to the coat, even if they don't serve any purpose, they look like they do and are a nice aesthetic touch.
elShoggotho
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:19 pm »

WARNING: this post contains personal opinions. They do not diminish your right to do whatever they condemn.
The thread title is an oxymoron. Decorative gears are a beginner's error. Gears on your lapels preclude closing your coat completely, so they diminish functionality. If something takes stuff away for the dubious benefit of a specific aesthetic effect, you should leave it off.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 11:50:26 am »

hum. I like them anyway.

Ooooohhh... I like that Smiley
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »

WARNING: this post contains personal opinions. They do not diminish your right to do whatever they condemn.
The thread title is an oxymoron. Decorative gears are a beginner's error. Gears on your lapels preclude closing your coat completely, so they diminish functionality. If something takes stuff away for the dubious benefit of a specific aesthetic effect, you should leave it off.

Fair enough although in its defense. I see no cogs!

As embroidery it is by its very nature a pattern. I refer you to the works of René Magritte

We are not arguing about "Cogs on a lapel" here. We are commenting on the aesthetic of embroidered patterns that look like cogs positioned on certain parts of a piece of clothing. One again surrealism has galloped to our aid exposing the fundamental flaw as soon as anyone starts laying down a law in relation to what is or isn't Steampunk.

There is the thought and reasoning of what to wear. There is what is worn and it's interpretation. As interpretation is based on personal knowledge of sign, symbolism, personal history, preference and reasoning. Getting any kind of consensus solid enough in relation to this subject matter to hang a "rule" off is going to be at best, on shaky ground. As has been demonstrated above.

You know as a side note I really didn't think I'd have to open up a big old can of semiotics on everyone ass in relation to a 'nice' walking/riding coat. Is it a coat? I don't even know! Talk about detached! Anyway it just seems like a bit of a waste. That's all. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:53:45 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: