The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 09:19:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ace of The Duck Pond Thunder of the Ghost Ships.  (Read 5804 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #225 on: December 29, 2015, 02:30:15 am »

Meri was not so lost in battlejoy that she was able to forget the peril that the station was in; she was well aware that the Island was the key to everything. She made a sending to the scarab who was best able to hear her.

Morton
, she called in her mind, The Coconut grove! Get a firefightingteam out there NOW! that underground complex is under attack through teh grove.

Understood, Merovingia, teh reply came back through the link. Them Meri took a huge risk; few or none knew that, while she had not made any fledglings or thralls, there were several such made by others that she had taken over after destroying their masters for the good of teh Station; innocents, most of them, turned for teh sake of their "interdicted" masters' pool of power from which to draw. There were ten of that body who were warriors, or as good as such. To them, she issued teh call, If you hear my voice, I call you by our bond, FIGHT! for teh salvation of teh station and our futures, FIGHT! gather all of the supernaturals who are willing to stand together with us, and FIGHT! DEFEND THE GROVE!

Soon, hatches in the floats that surrounded teh tiny island on which teh grove grew opened, and the waters and teh air between the floats and the islet swarmed with warlike creatures of many kinds, all converging on the enemy forces that had landed on the island and were trying to destroy teh grove...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:32:28 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2015, 05:17:40 am »

Jace saw Donna leave as she and Al took out two more of the green light planes.  "Greenie to Dog where are you headed?"  She was afraid Liam was taking a turn for the worse.

There was a pause where Jace could hear the dog's guns and engine but not her pilot.  Donna came on sounding serous as death.  "Jace you are just going to have to trust me.  I know what they are after and if the order gets their hands on the grove and the relic than they will rule the station."

"Ok" Jace said calmly not quite sure what to think.  "How do we stop them?"

"We keep them from getting under the light house.  To your right and behind if you please."  She called out to McSwain levelling out from a tight spiral.

"All right on the way to help Dog."  Jace hoped Donna was not having some sort of mental episode.  It couldn't hurt to protect the grove just in case.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2015, 05:36:06 am »

"Jace, how're you doing on fuel?" Al radioed. He was worried that with both the Duck and Greenie running at what amounted to three-fourths throttle in order to stay aloft while hooked together, the fuel in both planes would ruin out long before the fight was over - not to mention that if they tried to land in their currenbt configuration, the Duck, basically a small version of a flying boat and heavier by a large margin than the barnstorming fighter, would crush Greenie like an elephant sitting on a bloodhound.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2015, 10:37:57 am »

The Tempest rose to the same height as the Goliath and trained her cannons on the enemy battleship, Lightning flashed against her hull and bullets and light beams hit her. Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, the ship shuddered as her main guns fired volley after Volley at the airship as it tried to cause enough damage to get it to land.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2015, 12:40:29 pm »

There was a very long pause  and then a quiet string of curses.  "I am sitting two ticks from empty.  I forgot to give her full fueling  after the last battle. I thought we would have more time."  She was used to mercenary work not being always on call.  That was something she would have to get used to now that they had somehow become the station's defenders. 
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

McSwain felt the flow of power around him and even an incoming trickle from the comatose Liam.  His own sight opened up like never before.    He could do more than "feel" how things worked, he could make adjustments.   He realized that his splinter had more power than he did.

McSwain pushed against the glow and channeled energy into Donna and the plane.   The motor roared with power and she visibly straightened.

Still using his borrowed gift he coated each round from his gun with exsplosive power.   As he fired, there was a marked improvement in the results.   Enemy planes started dropping like flies.    Too soon the tight spiral took him away from finding airborn targets.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »

"If you can land on that wharf there to starboard, I can land in the water next door. I'm running on my spare tank in the radiomans cockpit, so I cant very well jettison that, but there should be enough room to ride there, or you can sueeze past through the trapdoor to the passenger cabin below if you want."

"First, though, we need to separate,  so if you can cut power and nose down, I'll throttle up and yank the stick back. That ought to unlock us."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »

"Cutting power now. Let me give it a little jiggle and we will be set."  She shook her shoulder and Greenie mimicked the motion sending her gently down to a soft landing on the warf.  They attracted attention from the fleet above and Jace dove for the duck as greenie was suddenly covered in ice.  She wiggled her way in quick as a wink.  Her breath was heavy on Al's neck.  "Miss me?"

Donna felt warm arms holding her and a soft voice in her ear as Liam's power trickled in to her.  He was back with her and she could take on the world.  Fearless she went after a bomber in mid dive driving away from the place she now thought of as hers.  The Vosh saw what was happening and released ball lighting to fall like snow. soon the sky was full of it.  One of the bombers got a little too close and was suddenly missing a rather large chunk from it's side. "Avoid the balls of light.  They explode."  She shouted over the radio.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2015, 12:28:39 am »

You don't know how much, babe," Al answered, as he throttled up and tyurned teh Duck around, heading for comparatively open water. suddenly, lightning bolts stitched a line in the water in front of them, and he hastily doglegged around, and gunned the engine to hop over a rowboat that had broken loose from a lowlying dock; teh Duck hung in the air, and he applied gliding flaps adn increased teh throttle, barely managing to shoot up pve rteh edge of the Wharf as stevedores bearing whateve rguins or weapons they had managed to scrounge fell or dove back, then pumped their fists in teh air as teh Duck shot skyward, cheering them on.

"About three-quarers of a tank left," he reported, and adjusted the fuel-air mixture. "Off to the Island. Don't worry about the rear gun, I can operate it from here - but if you want to shoot something, the carbine's just barely reachable under the tank. Ammo's on the radio shelf beside you,  or I got the shoulder cannon..."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:44:44 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2015, 04:53:15 am »

"Let me try the carbine for now lord knows I will likely need the shoulder cannon before all this is over." Much to Jace's amusement she was able to call the carbine to hand useing only her mind.  "if I keep this up I will be able to bend bullets like old Bill from Bartley Brothers."  She heard Donna's stressed voice over the radio.  "That do you think that is ab...Ohhh"  the sky was filled with light from the lighting orbs. One barely grazed by them and exploded like a grenade.  "How the hell is Donna staying alive in there let alone flying like she is?'

Donna had stated to hum tunelessly as she used ever ounce of skill she had to keep them going in this floating minefield.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2015, 07:47:34 am »

"Back in Manchuria, Donna was always flyin' straight through the Ack-ack, dodgin' and weavin' like she was on a three-dee racetrack in midair," Al said. "She seems to have a talent for that."

"I'm gonna try somethin' of my own that worked when I flew that mayor and the people's kids outta that prospectin' camp through a lava bomb storm when that volcano in the Andes blew up, and when I had to do that torpedo run in th' China Sea. Brace yerself, things might get twisty and weird; I'll be flyin' by the knack. Don't ask me where I'm goin', 'cause i won't know 'til we get there, other than to the Island." On an impulse, he turned his head, just as a dodge to port and up toward ten o'clock brought Jace's mouth close to his: He kissed her then, and said "Fer luck 'n love - just in case." and smiled and winked.

Al proved true to his word, as he dodged, dove, gunned, climbed, plummetted amd generally flew the Duck as if  it were literally a freetail bat out of hades, chasing diabolical insects, taking shots where they became available, but mainly fighting to get to the Island without getting blown apart by energy balls; something told him that Donna and Liam were going to need at least cover fire, if not a ride out as well - and he was carrying a cargo more precious than any he's ever hauled before. If only he could tell her exactly how he felt - but he pushed the thought from his mind and instead concentrated on not thinking beyond doing what the knack told him to do to make it to teh Island...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2015, 04:15:50 pm »

"She is as crazy as I am." Jace said with a bit of pride.  "We have got to clear some of those ghosts before they make this a no man's land.  Donna is good but if they fill the grove she will eventually have no where to go."

Donna was bothered by the fact that bullets did very little to the ball lightning.  They needed to clear the sky before the ground became a mine field.  She looked over the control bank and then broke in to a smile.  "Can you fire off three bursts of number seven?  They are training shells I was using with Jace.  If I am right they should work as lightning rods, if I am wrong make sure you are strapped in tight because it is going to take some flying to get us out of here."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #237 on: December 30, 2015, 10:32:40 pm »

Suddenly the orbs all seemd to fit into one big puzzle; as Al gunned yet another vosh from the sky, he noticed that when he did so, several of teh orbs adjacent to teh exploding craft exploded in sequence at the same time. He tried hitting a vosh such that the explosion occurred at the edge of the cloud of fireballs, and was rewarded by a huge number of then all going off in a chain reaction. "Jace, you seein' whta I'm seein'? If we can hit a vosh and a buncha balls just right..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #238 on: December 31, 2015, 12:47:49 am »

"So we are going to play some sky pinball?" He could practically hear the grin on her face.  "Lets see, how about we start with that threesome down there that keeps trying to shoot Dog in the ass with the freeze ray?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #239 on: December 31, 2015, 01:00:05 am »

"Right you are, Modom," Al said in a mock-Butler voice, and peeled off to port and dove on the target. Their efforts were rewarded with about half the current sky-load of fireballs going up like a gargantuan string of firecrackers, taking out several vosh and bombers at the same time...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2015, 03:32:23 am »

Jace laughed and nudged another plane starting a wave of explosions.  "It's better than bonfire night."  She felt invincible
And only part of that was because they were winning against huge odds.  The grove was sending the only aid it had to it's defenders and Jace was soaking it up.  With all the exploding orbs she couldn't see that the enemy was pulling back and the big ship in the storm started to glow.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #241 on: December 31, 2015, 04:07:02 am »

Blood.

It flowed from the wounds inflicted by the supernaturals of the station on the ground forces of the enemy in the grove. The stormtroopers had come to torch the stand of coconut trees, and instead of easy pickings against weal-willed faeries, had found themselves neck-deep in vampires, blood-thralls, kitsune and other half-spirits, merfolk, Niskies, Elves of all castes from lowest to highest, and even orcs and Asian Devils, all joined in a common cause against teh invaders. they died in their hundreds, swinging blades huge and miniscule, weilding weapons or no weapon but claws and teeth, throwing fire and/or perdition and illusion, fallimng in droves, but mometheless overwhelming the suddenly-outmatched enemy ground forces, who radioed a desperate plea for relief as the last twelve of them were borne under and hacked down.

The sands of the islet ran red that day, the grove watered by the blood of the slain. At the end, one thiousand out of five stood among the trees and stared at their handiwork, and the damage done by the enemy. The Grove was saved, but at an absolutely Pyrrhic cost....

-------

Al became aware of it first, but only because he felt it through the Knack.

"Jace, we gotta move outta th' way!" he yelled, as he suddenly threw the Blue Duck into a desperately violent side-slip, and peeled off to dive away from the Station's central lagoon and the Islet of the Grove; the Ship in the gateway that formed the center of the storm had begun to glow like a rival to the sun itself, and a spur of teh glow was beginning to extend in the islet's direction.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #242 on: December 31, 2015, 10:27:47 am »

"Captain, the shells are having no effect. Whatever is causing it to glow is distroying them before they can reach the ship."
The Highlord look to her right, "Is the cannon ready, Can we draw energy from that ship to feed it?"
"All generators are at 100%, all collectors open, all Capacitors charged!"
"Brake off and bring us about. Point our bow at that thing!"
"Aye sir" came a collective reply from the crew.
She watched as the Tempest started to slide to starboard and begin its turn. The tiny hairs that covered her body were standing on end from the energies flowing around the ship and it hummed as if it was alive. A series of clunks reverberated through the ship as the bow blade released, its armoured plates moving apart. As the plates moved, the white hull underneath started to move revealing the great maw of the ships Æther Cannon. Steam hissed from pressure release valves around the cannon and from the heat of the energies flowing towards the focal point. Light glowed in the middle growing like an artificial sun as the air was superheated into plasma. The artificial sun grew until it reached the inside of the cannons maw and stopped. metal creaked and groaned under the strain of trying to hold it back and lightning raced across the inside of the metal from the magnetic coil.
"Highlord, the cannon is ready to fire." The crewman operating the bridge controls stated.
As the Tempest finished it turn, Highlord Dublade removed a key from around her neck, slide open a panel revealing a lock, inserted the key and turned it. A glass cover on the cannons control panel released, "Fire" she ordered and the crewman punched the big red button.
The sky around the ships lit up as the sun leapt from the cannon leading a beam that linked the two ships. the white glow seamed to dim on the Goliath but it looked like it was holding off the fire.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #243 on: December 31, 2015, 04:32:44 pm »

Donna slumped like the weight of the world had been dropped on her shoulders.  "Listen there is a parachute near the cargo hatch.  If you run fast to the lighthouse you should be safe. This isn't your fight.  If we don't make it bury us beneath the lighthouse.  You will know where if you see it."  Donna felt the grove pour everything it had left in to her and Liam.  "Dog to Duck  I am making one last try to save the grove.  Sorry."

"What no! Come back you have family..." Donna cut the radio and put on a grim smile.  This was not her first last stand.

Jace was tearing up.  "We can't make it back and drag her away in time can we?"  She felt horrible and hopeless.   Donna was like a sister to her.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:55:51 pm by Stella Gaslight » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2015, 06:50:40 pm »

"Sure, I can get us to where she is," Al answered, suddenly changing his mind and banking around to make the attempt, "but how inna blazes are you gonna grab 'er? have you actually tried anything like that yet? She's just a slip of girl, but she's still a heckuva lot heavier than ny carbine, or that jug o' water - and there's that McSwain fella too, I think he's with her - and Liam as well. You gonna grab th' whole ship? Aw, What the hell, you only go 'round once." he threw the throttle into the second-to-last notch, and the Duck scremed away back toward the Dogged Determination's position...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2015, 09:45:30 pm »

"I may not be able to save them but I am damn well going to try."  Jace reached out her hand and tugged with a mussel she had barely trained.  The power of the grove and the wish to save the station over rode her and wrung every bit of power she had out of her control.  Blood flowed from her ears and nose.  Jace tried to stop but she was overruled.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #246 on: January 01, 2016, 03:18:01 am »

Suddenly McSwain could feel the full flow of Liam's power.   He could see how it all worked.   And he could see how the time rift was forming.   The grove was being protected and attacked by such primal forces of magic that the fate of the world itself rested in the balance of power.   And the power was not in balance.

The flowing blood of the magical creatures was flooding the roots of the tree at the heart of the grove.    And this tree was not a palm.  It was simply presenting itself as one.   The tree was Yggdrasil. 

McSwain could feel the fabric of time and space splitting.   He even knew how to fix it.  But his splinter wouldn't be able to do it in the shape he was in.

He looked at Donna and knew fully how much her Liam loved her.

"I do need that parachute."  he said.   Strapping it on, Liam McSwain called to Donna  "My middle name is Aidan.   Please consider it for the baby."   

Then he leaped from the plane, and in to the eye of the magical storm.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2016, 03:54:48 am »

Meri flapped into the edge of a cloud shadow, and re-emerged in the Cave of theTree, waiting for He Who Would Save the Tree.

"Stand up, Morton, Draco, you too, young smith," Meri said, embarrassed by such behavior. "I'm just a baronet's daughter, and crechemistress by happenstance only. There's one who just arrived on the strand to whom the bowing and kneling should be done; and here he comes now, she added, as Aidan entered the cave's entrance.

"I'm not here for the tree's blood, leftenant, nor yours - just do what you've come for. My power and the blade's is yours for the asking; you just might need it."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #248 on: January 01, 2016, 05:08:15 am »

Donna felt the shape of him and knew what she was ment to do.  She was the hammer of the heavens to destroy the trees enemies but this time it required a delicate balance and she could not be the one to strike it.  And there was the small life growing inside of her to think of.  When Liam woke he would be in for a surprise.  Slowly she eased back knowing it was out of her control now.  Donna was surprisingly good with that after years of her faith being gone it had found her again and she felt whole.

Jace was gone, absorbed in to the effort to keep the Dog in the air and shield the tree.  Images poured in to her superimposing themselves over the station.  The tree was everything, she could see that now .  Golden maidens were taking the dead to their rightful place.  And Donna. oh Donna. her golden armour out shown them all as she stood shield outward defending against the frost. Jace was a part of that shield and as the frost battered it so did the duck get colder.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:49:15 pm by Stella Gaslight » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #249 on: January 01, 2016, 06:58:37 pm »

"Overload on capacitor five!" one of the crew shouted before the panel next to him exploded in a shower of sparks.
Highlord DuBlade was looking through the windows at the point where the cannon was hitting the Goliath. She turned around and the side of her face was lit up but the flashing red warning light. "What is our status, are we doing any damage?"
"Damage, yes mam, to our selves, but not to the Goliath."
Another panel on the deck exploded showering her in sparks, "What is our status?"
"The crew is rerouting as much as they can and laying as many cables as possible, but we are going to run out of power and crash or overload and crash before we take it down."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: