The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 08:54:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ace of The Duck Pond Thunder of the Ghost Ships.  (Read 5675 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2015, 06:56:04 pm »

"Ally with these popinjays?" Meri quirked an eyebrow. "Well, I can slash the vosh stem to stern wholesale, but I'll be only one very overworked vampire. I'd welcome the help, even from yet another Hunter." She looked at the Highlord and the Lieutenant, and went ove rand presented herself.

"You sense what I am without being told, don't you," she said to Mcswain; It was not a question.  To the Highlord, she said dispassionately but seriously, "But no matter. The enemy comes, and we have work to do. I can see by your features, as I know that you and your man can see by mine, that you (and I) are not human. They'll be after you and yours as well; they seek to enslave all supernaturals, of which there are many here. Will you join us?"

She knew it was a bit abrupt, perhaps even rude, but the situation seemed too dire to stand on protocol or ceremony.

Al did a facepalm. "Me and my big mouth. I didn't mean SHE was supposed to recruit 'em! It's like using a bulldozer to dig a herb gardem!""
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:05:24 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2015, 08:38:03 pm »

Highlord DuBlade turned slowly towards McSwain irritation causing her face to screw up and turn red. "Go do what you want!" she said and turned away. "I want this ship sealed and airborne now." she ordered over the coms. As she walked through the door into the upper corridor she heard the massive cargo bay doors slam close. She headed towards the bridge listening as the ships advanced magnotechno system came to life around her.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2015, 09:04:52 pm »

"Hmpf. I suppose not. Perhaps you had better hurry and follow your mistress, Leftenant. I have other things to do," Meri said rathe rstiffly, and turned and stepped into the shadow of a passing guardsman, seemingly disappearing into the deck.

She remerged from the edge of a shadow cast by one cumulonimbus cloud on another, a thousand feet in the air, high above the station. Here, there were no Highlords or other bluebloods, just the cold air of altitude and the smell of a coming storm, that she must deal with or perish trying. I wonder if I can perish, she thought.  It hasn't worked, so far...
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:28 pm »

Liam had hoped that the Highlord would interpret the secret orders to mean that she was to assist him in his quest to seal the time rift. 

He knew the wording of the orders had been vague about stopping a threat to the worlds and timeline.   Too bad he hadn't been able to convince her that she should help these people.

Until he could resolve this splinter issue, he would have to stay.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2015, 10:26:15 pm »

Jace ran to Screaming Green eyes half on the huge wave of planes roaring towards them.  There were fewer ghost ships but their ranks were bolstered big heavy gray  bombers Jace had never seen before. "Oh hell that can't be good."   One of the bombers got close to the large ship and loosed a bomb that exploded just shy of it's target.  Purple flames shot out like a forest fire and clung to the metal of the ship and dock burning intensely despite the coming rain.

Donna took one last look back at the ship Liam's doppelgänger had entered and then up at the sky.  She turned her back on the spreading fire and carried Liam back to the dogged determination tucked him in to a jump seat.  If they were going down then at least they would be together.  Something green inside her said they would be together again naked and in the sand.  Donna hoped that was right.  She almost did not see the figure entering the hanger behind her.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:17:15 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2015, 07:11:42 am »

Al sprinted for teh blue Duck, but then sidetepped to teh bunkroom at teh rear fo teh hangar, ran in, and flipped the mattress of his bunk aside, grabbed teh shoulder mortar from it's nest and a box of five rounds, and sprinted beck to teh duck, grabbing a box of air grenades and the spare ammo cannisters fro teh coewafrd and tail guns. He shucked of fteh retaining bottoms of teh ammo cannisters and installed then in their places, and then stowe dteh moratr and its rounds in teh mesh bag forward fo teh pilot's seat in the forward cockpit.

May not be a raygun, byut it's better'n just the guns, no matter how magicked they are, he mused to himself, as he secured teh grenades in their racks on the othe rsid eof teh cockpit from the mesh bag.

He stuck the key in the slot, turned it, pressed the electric starter button, and spun up the Duck's engine, finally taxiing out the door and down the boat ramp inbto the water, since the others were still on the runway, and gunned the engine. he brought the Duck up to airspeed in record time - and then noticed the Highlord's ship dead ahead, a massive obstacle athwart the harbor. He gritted his teeth and continued to power straight at the Highlord's ship even as it began to rise, then pulled back hard on the stick and gunned the engine even faster, the Duck grabbing air and barely shooting under the keel of the strange-looking craft. "WHEEW!" He exhaled in relief. "That was a close 'un. Blue Duck to alien ship, sorry about that, but you were athwart my runway. Good luck wherever you go, and tell Wil he's got my wish for luck. I owe 'im. Blue Duck out."

He kept the Duck angling steeply up into the sky, banking at the same time, to join Jace and Donna as they raced to meet the enemy above...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2015, 09:03:10 am »

Like a battleship being lifted out of the sea by the hand of some god, the Tempest rose into the air and started to turn. Lightning flashed across its hull and the four triple barrels turrets began tracking targets. As the bow turned to face the storm great booms issued from each barrell and the fragments of bombers rained from the sky.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »

Liam McSwain sprinted after Donna.  Until he figured out this new splinter he would stick close to her. 

"Hey!" he called to her, "how can I help?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2015, 04:58:17 pm »

Meri had already dove in; she had dispatched three vosh and two bombers, and was charging a third of teh huge gray 'planes, when a rush of fire from below detroyed it and five others in the space of a few seconds. she looked down and saw the aerial battleship rising. "she doesn't look like the the St. Elmo, but her fire is just as devastating as Dreyfuss' broadsides," she muttered, remembering how such had nearly annihilated the Demeter, and turned to slash the portside wing from a vosh that had banked around to fire at her. She paused to make a sweeping salute with Soururipa, smirking sardonically, then returned to the fray.

Four more vosh were following suit, one deploying the green capture beam, while another attacked, pincer-style, from behind her. As the first vosh tumbled from the sky like a burning toy, she charged straight up the capture beam, using it's pull to augment her speed, and slashed just at the moment she would have splattered on the nose of the alien craft. The sides of it split away from her as she literally sliced straight through, the sides falling and and exploding into pink flames and sparks, and the soul-energy and power of the ship's remote operator, sucked away by the hellsword, surged into her. No longer was she exhausted or in need of blood, as the mana and prana thus gained filled her with sustenance and unholy joy. Far away, an operator sagged in their harness, on the edge of death.

Several score more followed as now, in a mad  attempt to capture or destroy the vampire, vosh surrounded her in a diving, circling, banking mass, much like sharks in a feeding frenzy, Meri flew, stood, charged, attacked, all within the center of the  gigantic ball of vosh, cutting, slicing, slashing, and smashing the craft that swarmed around her, all the while laughing wickedly and egging them on. At times an isolated part of her thought that she would be overwhelmed, but one thought sustained her, somewhere in the even more miniscule part of her that still cared for others: every vosh they threw at her, was one less that the station, or the Aces, had to worry about...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2015, 05:40:13 pm »

Donna smiled he may not be her Liam but at least he was help.  "I could use a gunner.   This bird is a bit too big to fly single handed.  That seat is yours and the controls are fairly simple."

Jace had barely made it up off the tarmac when the bombers fired some odd sort of blue light at her.  She dodged the first few shots but one glanced off her wing and to her horror she saw thick ice form wherever the light touched.  "Greenie to Aces don't let that blue light get you.  They made some sort of ice beam and if it his your engines you are going down."  Jace broke off as four of them went after her guns blazing.  They had been briefed on what planes had driven off the last force and had orders to down the ships and take the pilots alive if they could.  The order wanted whatever power had taken them down before and if they could not brake it to their will they would kill it.  Unable to shake the bombers Jace saw the vortex of ships around Meri and got a wicked idea.  "i am going to try and loose my admirers in that mess Duck."  Feeling the Screaming Green like it was a part of her body she rammed in to the Vosh squadron raising merry hell as the heavy bombers tried to follow.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2015, 06:22:53 pm »

Al had attacked from underneath teh wave of aircraft; a move that often ended in disaster, it was unorthodox enough that it caught the Order's craft by surprise, and several vosh and two bombers went down before they knew what was going on. HE rose u[p in teh midst of a flight of six vosh that were flying in a kind of "hollow diamond" for mation, and began firingboth forward and aft guns, blasting two ships in form form teh air, sending one in teh rear spiralling down trailing smoke and leaking lightnings friom its underside, and pulled out teh shoulder mortar as he brough the Duch up a bit higher than teh others, as they tried to figuire out how to deal with this madman who had appeared from nowhere.

He fired the shoulder mortar, a weapon tha thad been invented shortly afte rthe war, to port, and teh round fell on top of a vosh, the detonation of teh shell cutting it in half.Al cluthed teh stick with his kneesm tow=eing the aileron pedals to maintain stability, and flipped the gun open like a double-barrelled shotgun, the round popping ot through the open canopoy. he fumbled a new round out of teh mesh bag and thrust it home in teh breech, and snapped teh gun upwards, teh breech snapping closed wuith a sharp CLUNK, and he replaced it in teh bag, and turend to chase teh remaining vosh as it peeled away in panic.

He saw the vosh heading for Meri, and saw Jace heading the same way, bombers hot on her tail, and dove after them. A tremor shook teh Duck, then, and he saw in the rearview mirror a bomber and two vosh coming after him. "Yo guys're just achin' ta git shot, aincha!" he chuckled wryly, and slapped the rear gun control, and fired a burst at them. a vosh went doe=wn, and a blue beam faked past himl it struck a wisp of cloud, and hail suddenly cascaded downward.

"Yep, already caught hail from a blue beem just now," he punned in response to Jace's warning, laughuing at his own joke as he pulled yet anothe rinsane stunt, and yanked bak haerd on teh stick whiole ramming the throttle forward; teh Duck shot upward, every rivet, guywire and joint screaming in protest as teh biplane flying boat loop-flipped over, and he blasted rounds into both the pursuing bomber and vosh as teh Duck's nose came down and around to point toward the water, sending both plummeting amid smoke and flames to teh waves below. He use dteh loop's momentum to bring the ship back safely to teh horizontal, and then banked suddenly to avoid teh smashing thriough Meri's merry fight, noting that Greeni just sort of crashed through likea bowling ball in an aerial game of ninepins.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2015, 06:54:16 pm »

Liam buckled in to the gunner's chair.   The straps were fitted perfectly to him.   He figured that his splinter probably sat here in better times.

It took a few minutes for McSwain to figure out the controls, but he had trained extensively with the Aether Fleet and finally felt comfortable.

"I am ready when you are ma'am."     Secretly he knew he would eventually have to tell these people that their Liam would probably die soon.    The time rift was close, and there could only be one Liam on the other side if the world was to be saved.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2015, 07:40:03 pm »

"Ok what we are going to do is try and keep as many of them away from the towers as we can.  If we loose the tower we loose the ability to call for help."  Donna taxied down the runway and had to swerve to avoid a blue beam.  "Hold on tight because it looks like we are in for one hell of a storm."  She almost stalled out trying to avoid some of the purple fire bombs.  Gritting her teeth she pulled them up above for a run.  "We realy kicked the hornets net this time.  Can you get that big gray one that keeps trying to hit our tail?" 

Jace was very much enjoying herself as she dared the enemy pilots to match her.  All it took was a loop and suddenly she was firing on her chasers.  It worked well until one of them got a lucky shot at her tail and froze it solid.  "Damn it Duck can you cover me? My tail is frozen.  i got a torch to thaw it but they are on me pretty heavy."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »

McSwain didn't have the innate aiming skill that Donna's Liam had.  But he did have a lifetime's training on weaponry, some antiquated like this, and other more modern guns.    Within a few seconds he had found the large ship Donna pointed out.   He trained in on it and released a solid burst.   At first there was no reaction, but then there was a flash and small glowing cracks showed on the spot he had been targeting.

Liam McSwain felt a tingling of the special power he did have.   He understood the way of things. 

"I think we can get to it, but it will take focusing on one spot and chipping away their shielding." he said.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2015, 09:16:10 pm »

"Ok I will keep us on target as best I can."  Donna focused everything she had on this swerving and weaving her way through enemy fire.  A silent prayer rung out in her mind but it was altered instead of praying to the virgin mother she prayed to the green grove that had brought her such happiness.  A spark flowed from her to the plane then on down to the ground.  Donna found manoeuvring becoming much simpler like she had a map in her head that showed where all the fighters were at all times and she could easily chart a course between them.  "I have us on target but throw toggle 12.  It should launch some flying bombs that will get that ghost plane off out tails for a bit."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2015, 09:27:57 pm »

McSwain did as told and was pleased to see the immediate effects.  Explosions in various colors and the ghost planes fell away.

He also noticed a soft green glow surrounding Donna.   His senses told him that she was getting help from somewhere.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2015, 09:30:14 pm »

blue beams shot out towards the ponderously raising battle ship, but before they could touch the hull lightning flashed out and followed back up the room. "too all ship that have taken off from the island below, drop below our deck and do not rise."
Panels opened up on the exposed deck and barrelled shaped objects rose out. The 4 triple barrel turrets on deck pointed in different directions and fired. 12 shells flew across the sky that was now being filled with rain, each taking a target. the barrel shaped objects turned and with the hum of an excellerated machine gun, filled the skys with bullets.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2015, 10:04:58 pm »

Purple fire was everywhere as the pilot batting with them lost it seeing the battleship raze and fired all of his bombs at once.  She avoided most of the cloud of flames but spots clung to the dog melting their way through the outer skin while Donna quietly cursed and tried to ignore the smell of burning.  If they could get closer to the big ship maybe she could make a desperate attempt at putting the more dangerous fires out.  It was going to be one hell of a trick.  All the enemy planes had scattered and most were trying to make it inland away from the big ships guns.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2015, 10:18:15 pm »

"Jace, head for the deck*!" Al called over the radio as he slid in behind Jace, using the Duck's rear gun to shoot sideways and down a vosh that was trying to edge up form below. Another blue beam seemed to feel it's way towar dteh two biplanes, and Al opened up his canopy yet again, pulling the shpoulder mortar from it's resting place. HE risked a glance back and up,noted teh bomber's position, saw the flame bombs exit the belly of the plane, and then snapped his right arm up and back, the mortar gun pointing up at the remembered angle and azimuth; he pulkled the trigger, the gun jumped in his hand, and the bomber's nose blew up in a shower of metal, shrapnel and lightnong bolts, the flying behemoth tumbling away to smash into the sea below.

"Down, Jace!" was all he had time for as the shells firom the battleship began to fly past.

Meri had no radio, of course. When the shells began falling like rain, and the vosh around her to disappear amid a storm of explosions like the fireworks displays she had seen as a child in Manchuria, she laughed with glee, and flew around batting stray shells as if they were cricket balls, sending them into the craft they had inadvertently missed. "MORE!" she shouted, lost in the joy of it all. "MORE!"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2015, 02:20:45 am »

Jace had a plan.  it was a very stupid plan but a plan none the less.  Letting out a whoop she dove through a cloud of fire as another bomber let out its entire load in one last doomed gesture before the big ship shot it down.  Her tail was free of ice now but there was a little fire clinging on to the tips of her wings.  It was bothersome but not dire. She shot through the sky to meet back up with Al and almost made it when she got hit with a face full of green light.  Her eyes flashed color randomly before whitening out and suddenly her straps were only barely holding her as the vosh tried to take her over.  Somehow her hand managed to find the radio button.  "Duck help I am flying blind.  The green light did something to my eyes."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2015, 02:41:46 am »

"On the way, Jace. Try to hang on,"

Literally, Al thought desperately, as he realized that the greenlight was still shining on Jace's plane. As he flew, he thought over different scenarios. How in the heck do I get rid of the greenlight and help her down at the same time? he wondered. he realized as he flew closer that he only way was to kill the vosh that was targeting her, and then soemhow either grab a hold of Jace or her plane. He realized it was a very touchy situation; teh force of teh greenlight pulling Jaxce up was likely teh only thing keeping Greenie on an even keel.

"Jace," he called over the radio, "I need you to stick yer feet out and stiffleg the aileron pedals. Even if you get vertigo and feel like you're sideslipping, keep the ailerons stiff-legged, rudder strainght and nose neithe rup nor down. got it?" he swooped in behind teh vosh, and called "moving in. Keep it tagether, Jace." teh Duck's forward guns spat fire, and teh vosh simply fell apart amid a cloud of fire and debris.

He moved in on Jace's plane, ansd yanked teh bomb release lever; teh two single 20-lb bombs unde rteh lower wings dropped away and fiortuitously took out a low-flying bomber. jaxce's plane still being fitted with barnstormer's wingwalk hardware was a giodsend; he moved in slighly ahgead of Greenie, barely a foot abovethe tallest wingwalk bars, adn thenbcut teh engine back, applying flaps and dipping the Duck's nose. Teh bombracks slid down over and between the rails and loops, and he heard jace's surprised "WHOOP! as the impact forced the Greenie down several hundred feet. He shoved the throttle forward, then, and the locked-together biplanes shrieked along just barely ten feet above the wavetops. "Jace! Increase throttle! We need more power!" Al yelled over the radio.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2015, 04:24:47 am »

"Giving it a push now." Jace said finely able to see things again a bit wobbly but far better than the alternative. "That should do it."  She said as the joined planes rose above the water.  "Thanks for saving by bacon Duck remind me to make it up to you later." 

Donna was wining the order's forces were crumbling before her and not Liam, as she had come to think of McSwain, had kept them from being shot full of holes. Donna was going in for another strike on a particularly persistent bomber when suddenly her mind was filled with panic and images of flames nearing the lighthouse and the coconut grove.  Before she could even think she turned the dog and rushed to the grove's aid.  Donna could not explain why but that felt like the most important place on the station.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2015, 03:38:45 pm »

Highlord DuBlade looked out to see the two planes from the hanger going down blow her bridge windows, green beams chasing after them.
"Gunners, set weapons on these targets and clear them off those two planes." she ordered while poking at the screen in front of her to highlight targets. "Does anyone know why one is pushing the other to the ground?"
"Mam, I'm trying to monitor the communications, but even the legend receivers are struggling to pick through interference."
The Tempest was still raising towards the eye of the storm when a familiar shadow started to appear wreathed in clouds.
"Captain, our friend is back!"
She craned her neck out of the window and looked up to see the clouds parting to reveal the Goliath.
"Train the cannons on that thing and fire two full volleys at it."
The Goliath came to a stop blocking the storms eye and their gateway home.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2015, 03:50:14 pm »

McSwain could feel the moment approaching.   He didnt know how, but soon there would be a tear in the fabric of time and space.   He looked at Donna and,used his ability to sense the way things worked.   She loved the splinter, and,was even carrying his child.

"Too bad the poor sod had to die to seal the breach." he thought.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2015, 06:08:30 pm »

"We have to stop them from setting that coconut grove on fire.  If what is under that falls so will the station."  Donna had no idea how she knew that but she could feel it was true.  Ghost ships tried to catch them in their green light but they could not get a grip on the pilot.  Angered by their protection they let loose lightning in a sheet at the offending plane.  "Hold tight.  We are going to have to be a bit twisty until they stop trying to fry us."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: