The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:37:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adeptus Mechanicus  (Read 1102 times)
Viceroy Gratia
Gunner
Scotland Scotland

« on: November 27, 2015, 03:43:43 am »

Intrigued to know what people think of the Adeptus Mechanicus in relation to steampunk.

For those who've not heard of it the Adeptus Mechanicus are part of the warhammer 40k universe, techpriests of the 41st millennium. Much of the artwork is very Geiger inspired and dark, grim dark. 40k isn't a nice place and ideologically almost the antithesis of Jules Verne's exploratory of earthly virginity, it is the 41st millennium and the end of mankind's exploration of the universe when everything is falling apart and going wrong.

Within the 40k novels the Adeptus Mechanicus do seem to have a love of brass dials, steam being emitted from curious devices and possibly being helped out by space marines with a rather victorian stiff upper lip. The lithopede in the Eisenhorn novels has to be one of the most amazing contraptions of any book I've read, to my mind on par with Verne's nautilus for a bit for ooh yeah lets have a machine of awesome. While it is many other things I'd still describe 40k as a very British dystopia.

I'm not sure that the Adeptus Mechanicus really counts as steampunk but it's the route that brought me here and to this website so would be interested to hear what others think of it.

~ Leonard Bernstein
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:57:40 pm »

Intrigued to know what people think of the Adeptus Mechanicus in relation to steampunk.

For those who've not heard of it the Adeptus Mechanicus are part of the warhammer 40k universe, techpriests of the 41st millennium. Much of the artwork is very Geiger inspired and dark, grim dark. 40k isn't a nice place and ideologically almost the antithesis of Jules Verne's exploratory of earthly virginity, it is the 41st millennium and the end of mankind's exploration of the universe when everything is falling apart and going wrong.

Within the 40k novels the Adeptus Mechanicus do seem to have a love of brass dials, steam being emitted from curious devices and possibly being helped out by space marines with a rather victorian stiff upper lip. The lithopede in the Eisenhorn novels has to be one of the most amazing contraptions of any book I've read, to my mind on par with Verne's nautilus for a bit for ooh yeah lets have a machine of awesome. While it is many other things I'd still describe 40k as a very British dystopia.

I'm not sure that the Adeptus Mechanicus really counts as steampunk but it's the route that brought me here and to this website so would be interested to hear what others think of it.

At my age and not being a gamer, I had to look it up in Google.  It looks very Dystopian, and with a darkness similar to Giger's and that silly movie about the Necromamgers [sic], I forget the name.

Jokingly, I've temporarilly adopted a persona similar to an engineer-priest, operating in some fictitious dying Earth, in some occasions when confronting people of say "dark tendencies" during discussions in the forum? But never looking at the religious side as the evil side (because quite simply I don't belong to the dark side).

It looks intersting if more Cyberpunk than Steampunk, but still workable.

CPT_J_Percell
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:06:25 pm »

It's more Grim-Dark gothic then Giger in fact (Disclaimer - I not saying it has anything to do with Giger as I don't want to see a letter from GW's Layers) Nids are the only thing that remotely come near to gigeresh

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Viceroy Gratia
Gunner
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:24:24 am »

At my age and not being a gamer, I had to look it up in Google.  It looks very Dystopian, and with a darkness similar to Giger's and that silly movie about the Necromamgers [sic], I forget the name.

Jokingly, I've temporarilly adopted a persona similar to an engineer-priest, operating in some fictitious dying Earth, in some occasions when confronting people of say "dark tendencies" during discussions in the forum? But never looking at the religious side as the evil side (because quite simply I don't belong to the dark side).

It looks intersting if more Cyberpunk than Steampunk, but still workable.

The style's often referred to as grim dark, though like all these subcultures they leak in to each other. This picture isn't 40k but I think is a good example of the style. A lot of it has been spawned by the many books of lore behind 40k where the relation between good and evil is very complex, often involving good people doing bad things due to corruption or necessity.

Things like the krios tank are quite brass, cogs and rayguns which is for me where the crossover with steampunk comes in, though the link is a bit tenuous. There's also something very victorian about attitudes towards religion, exploration and duty expressed in the books.

It's more Grim-Dark gothic then Giger in fact (Disclaimer - I not saying it has anything to do with Giger as I don't want to see a letter from GW's Layers) Nids are the only thing that remotely come near to gigeresh

Interesting that you would chose the tyranids because with the exception of the long alien heads I've never seen them as particularly Geiger like. On the other hand I find artwork of The Golden Throne and the tubes and intricate blending of man and machine associated with the mechanicus to be very Geiger. In particular the facial augmetics as sported by this chap.

I find a fascination in the style, it's very challenging to our notions of beauty.
CPT_J_Percell
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 02:42:21 pm »

Some of the newer admech is very steampunk and I will agree that the throne is very close.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: