The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 11:47:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somewhere between Gaaaaah and Things That Make You Happy ...  (Read 5776 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2017, 05:13:31 pm »

Not been around here for a while, PC hard drive fried, no internet and all that.

Gaaaah......... After a valiant fight for a very long time, my Dad finally lost the battle and passed away on the 29th of July. Cry It's all been a slightly crappy, but hey, life carries on.........

Happy......... He has no need for his PC now, so I grabbed it quick, back online and you poor people will have to suffer my presence once again I'm afraid   Grin

Might be slightly intermittent for a while longer, but I am back. A lot of catching up to do methinks.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Nut I understand firsthand the process of end of life. Since I had no relations with my biological father, my grandparents ended up becoming my parents. I had to go though a protracted process between 2010 and two years ago.
Sorry to hear about your dad, but also glad to hear you are back.

If ever a post was an exact fit for this thread, yours would be it!  Wink
So sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts are with you.
Sympathy for the loss of your father, SeVeNeVes. Never a good time, but good that something reasonable came out of the situation.
Nice to see you back! Grin
Many thanks for the thoughts and words Ladies and Gents, exactly why I am a member of this fine forum.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2017, 01:08:04 am »

so I went to my storage unit to grab a couple things to use to prepare things for a mini-maker faire coming up. and of course the things I wanted were at the back of a 10'x10' storage packed up to the front. sigh, this is my life right now.

Well I got the first junky iron out of a tip at a university, (I use it with parchment paper to fuse scrap plastics from containers and bags into larger sheet material from which I can make things), maybe I can grab one from a thrift store.

1 hour later:
Nope; but I found two 12 mega pixel digital cameras (one that can be fit with lens adapters and an adapter to a telescope and also takes non-proprietary batteries, the other is supposed to be water and cold proof) capable of shooting 780p video... and a Macbook refurbished laptop whose with a 2.1 ghz dual core, a 500gig HD (2 megs ram though, beggars can't be choosers), battery holds a charge, webcam and wifi work.

The price for the lot $150.

That's a fair bit more than I'd usually consider spending on anything; but now I have a second computer that in some ways is a step up from my main laptop. Plus 4 cameras with which to shoot video content, edit it and post to youtube via wifi access.

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2017, 06:25:13 pm »

The other night when I was ordering myself a new weskit online I decided to treat myself and I ordered another waistcoat from the same site's 'bargain basement' section whereby you specify your size and they send you a random waistcoat/jacket/shirt etc. (usually a sample or remaindered stock).

Now, this site offers a wide range of 'novelty' suits and the like and so I was actually quite pleased when I opened the parcel I found waiting on my doorstep tonight and found my random item was rather nice plain black waistcoat (YAY!). The problem is the d*mned *expletive*s have sent me the wrong f**king size Angry and this very nice weskit I was pleased to find delivered is a size too small despite that size apparently being 'out of stock' and the invoice specifying that it was my size Angry

To make it worse, because of the nature of the discount, the sale is made on a 'sold as seen' basis and so I can't send it back Angry Angry Angry

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2017, 05:56:19 am »

The bad news: I just found out the entire business where I work has been sold. To a new owner who is new to the business. There could be some really bad things stemming from that

The good news: I was not let go. I get to keep my job and continue working as I have since I had to move to the new shop.

The unknown: since the new owners are inexperienced, they are "training" with the old owner for this month at least, if not longer. The shop where I work needs desperately to put out advertisement online and physical in the form of coupons to attract customers. The good in this is that the new management seems very eager to put effort into new advertising strategies - that's very good. But the fact theat the owners are inexperienced could spell doom.

*sigh* I just hope I make it past Christmas. One more reason to change jobs, and I already have a barrel full of reasons to leave.

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2017, 10:22:00 pm »

The good in this is that the new management seems very eager to put effort into new advertising strategies - that's very good. But the fact theat the owners are inexperienced could spell doom.

If they are any good, they know they´re unexperienced and will listen to the "people at the rock face" (you) who know how the business runs and what could be done to improve which area.

Maybe you could offer them your view and help shape things up a bit.

Fingers crossed.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2017, 11:34:36 pm »

The good in this is that the new management seems very eager to put effort into new advertising strategies - that's very good. But the fact theat the owners are inexperienced could spell doom.

If they are any good, they know they´re unexperienced and will listen to the "people at the rock face" (you) who know how the business runs and what could be done to improve which area.

Fingers crossed.

Thank you  Cheesy

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm being proactive...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:38:47 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2017, 07:26:08 pm »

Fingers crossed.

Thank you  Cheesy

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm being proactive...

Warn us if you become radioactive...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: