The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:09:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nanowrimo 2015  (Read 783 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: November 19, 2015, 07:45:04 am »

Anyone writing this year? Well I guess if you are reading this odds are good your procrastinating rather than writing right now, but you get my point.

I'm not started yet but I hope to get some time in the next few days.

Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 02:51:59 pm »

I've just passed 30k, putting my life total at around 135k now. On my way to a goal, and maybe even finishing the damn thing Cheesy
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:19:27 am »

Time! Ask of me anything but time! - Napoleon...Wink I've started, but won't be finishing. About 3,000 words in, but time for writing is sadly short. Still, at least it's started...Wink
Kevin1632
Snr. Officer

Steam breakfast of Champions

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:23:31 am »

39001 right now, I need to get in some more double days, We need to be on the road on the 30th.

Kevin

gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 02:27:45 pm »

I am writing a novel called Steam Park, set in the modern day. My word count is currently at 68,000.
Antonus Fudge
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 01:49:07 pm »

I attempted Nano this year - my first try - and gave up after three days. For me, it's okay for getting data down but my WIP relies heavily on voice and certain styles which I found vanished in the rush for wordcount. I stopped enjoying both the writing, and the reading of what I produced, and felt like I didn't really need that kind of motivation. Plus I thought the endless "You can do this. You are amazing! You are writer, rah-rah-rah!" pep talks and general ethos were a bit presumptuous and daft. I dunno, maybe I am a bit of a snob in this regard...

~ * ~
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:38:33 am »

Depends on peoples style. Early on in the 2000s I found that I could never get past the first page of a novel because I would chronically go back and change things and set up things for future chapters that never happened because I would go back and have a better idea and ... basically run from tree to tree without ever seeing the forest. It was a huge help to just write the whole story in one whirlwind pass, and then a couple months later use that as the skeleton on which I build the meat of the story in second draft.

That said this year I spend so much time creating new recipes, fixing up and selling used furniture, looking for a part time job, at doctors appointments, at a holiday gathering, at a mini-maker fair and the prep for that, and creating and editing 25 videos for my new youtube channels (which included a 5 week writing editing and publishing course, creating a card game and sending it to a printer, learning how to publish an e-book, trying out new video editing software, and getting prints made of paintings; doing demonstrations of three types of plastic forming processes that can be done at home, reading and reviewing ten short stories, watching and reviewing 5 videos, and playing and reviewing 5 tabletop games)

So I didn't get to do as much writing as I wanted, but I did some and for me it was more important to be able to just write out ideas and string them together knowing that I'm not expecting it to come out finished or even worth reading, but it's something that will exist later. It's easier to fix what already exists than it is to build something you are chronically altering along the way.
Thornbrier
Swab

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »

I did. I 'failed' but in failing I also won, because I still wrote a lot more on my steampunk western fantasy than I would have otherwise. The most pages I've ever written of any one thing, really.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 06:29:23 pm »

I didn't, but I did finish the 7th draft of my 2nd book reading for editing, spelling and grammer.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:14:05 pm »

Well, I finished the novel on time. I am now 30,000 words into its sequel.
Amalia Zeichnerin
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 09:11:42 pm »

This year, I wrote every day from November 1st until November 10th. I wrote almost 5 chapters of a new novel (a first draft)
Then life happened. So I didn't make it. Maybe next year's better Smiley
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »

I completed my novel (Steam Park) a few days before the end of November. I am now working on its second sequel - Steam Park III: Empire Of Evil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: