The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:01:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk mandolin  (Read 1050 times)
MusicMan624
Swab

United States United States

« on: November 10, 2015, 08:53:57 pm »

Hello Steampunk world!  To be honest, I hadn't even heard the term steampunk until just a few months ago.  Now I'm hooked!  A few buddies of mine mentioned that they were going to Stan Lee's ComiKaze convention in Los Angeles, and they were going to dress up in steampunk costumes.  Of course I had to join them, and got totally immersed in steampunk, and put together a great costume, including this one of a kind Steampunk mandolin. 

For this project, I bought a brand new inexpensive mandolin on Amazon, removed all the parts, used an orbital sander to completely sand of the cherry sunburst finish.  Then, I used a dark stain for the finish, used some old parts for decoration, and there you go!

Cheers,
DT
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:56:31 pm »

Brilliant!  How well does it play?

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »

Actually physically playing it might be a bit awkward because of the size of the hose and plate on the soundboard - perhaps a bit smaller, more discrete tubing and plate, and copper may present a more sophisticated look! Grin

I make my own instruments, so speaking from a maker and player perspective.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 09:14:27 pm »

Could it be played left-handed?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 09:26:35 pm »

Steampunk instruments, something i always hope to see more.
Great job!

But just a question....don't you think two pair of goggles is a bit much?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
MusicMan624
Swab

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 10:50:53 pm »

Thanks everyone!  Yes this mandolin is fully playable and not at all awkward to play.  I tried not to modify too much of the fretboard and strings, and it sounds great I carried it around and played it most of the day at ComiKaze.  I tuned it like the top four strings of a guitar so I could play it easier, although not sure about the left-handed thing Crescat.  As for the goggles Caledonian, what can I say I'm a steampunk beginner - and after I saw that photo I tossed the bronze goggles, I've figure out that less is more right?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:40:09 pm »

It's not that less is more, more that you'd need a reason for two pairs at the same time I think. (This from a woman who does not do simple and believes that best-dressed is over-dressed!)

Your mandolin is beautiful and I love that you can play it.  Is the crossbow to fight off the fans or the critics? What sort of things do you play?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
MusicMan624
Swab

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 12:44:34 am »

Not sure maybe one pair of goggles is for when I'm welding (hypothetically) and one is for recreation (ha ha)?  I've done some music professionally - I play guitar, piano and also sing you can check my Alternative Rock album which sold all of 52 copies (woo hoo!) in the US www.dougtidstrand.com/music.php!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:11:36 am »

I'm actually a bit surprised I've yet to see a Steampunk outfit that is all goggles:  as many goggles as can be stacked on the top hat, lined up the arms and down the legs, goggles on the corset or waistcoat, on the coat, perhaps a cane with goggles for handles, or a parasol with goggles embroidered or painted on...
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:53 am »

..... hhhmmmmm........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: