The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:05:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crimson Peak  (Read 482 times)
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« on: November 09, 2015, 09:40:15 am »

I just saw this film, and am confused as to what year it could possibly be set in. Some letters are dated 1893-4, and the fashions would date this as not being long after, but when the first car (said to be new) appears in the film, it is a model T (1908-1916 model years, judging by the nose.) I didn't hear it running until the moment it was about to pull out; either it was left running, and not heard, or it features electric starting, which would put the action in the 1920s (which the costuming and scenery does not support). Is this just a mistake?

It really gets silly during the final confrontation when a large, clearly steam-powered machine suddenly starts without warning (did the ghosts do it?) even though it doesn't seem to have a fire in it, hasn't been tended to and has been left standing in the snow all night...

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:28:44 am »

Sounds like a mild case of this.

Ordinary people are generally unable to tell one specific time period from another if it was sufficiently far in the past, so filmakers can get away with mashing up stuff from various eras and it still looks legit to the majority of the audience.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:21 am »

More like this.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 09:58:47 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I rather think both tropes fit the case with this moving picture show, which I saw last night.
I myself was distracted by the anachronistic cameo worn by Lady Lucille- a design not used til after the Great War, correct me if I'm wrong, please. Perhaps its foolish but it took the edge of my enjoyment of the fabulous sets and interesting visual treatment of ghosts.

That, and having a perfectly groomed Pomeranian with dainty white feet appear in the action, with the explanation that it had been abandoned in the wild a good year ago and must have survived on scraps.
No.

And the butterflies. What butterflies emerge from their chrysalises in autumn?
Having black-hued Monarch butterflies in the house in Cumberland was an interesting touch, but distracting as well.

Still, perhaps these things, along with the car and the machine, are meant to be jokes. It's difficult to imagine as good a director as is del Toro missing this sort of thing.

And the veils used on the hats in general. I can buy that same veiling for 4.50 € a meter in Madrid, and did so on Tuesday. It was odd seeing the same veiling, of polyester fibre, used in a period piece.

Anyway.
I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:03:41 am by Prof. Cecily » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 05:13:54 pm »

I think crimson peak works best if you think of it as an older Edith writing about her younger adventures.  She flubs some things for drama's sake and others because she can't entirely remember but it is a good enough story so her readers dont mind much.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: