The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:07:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prescriptivists  (Read 5145 times)
Johnny Payphone
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Contraptor/ Metalworker/ Bicycle builder

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 04:02:39 pm »

Folks' interest in particular eras or combination of eras differ, as well as their style or level of involvement, but that still leaves us all interested in generally the same thing.  I can't see why any one person who even came here wouldn't want to hang out with any other person here- we are, collectively, the spirit of a branch of human culture that took a different route somewhere around the turn of the century and is experiencing an explosion of physical realization.  I also have noticed no punk or DIY elitism, and I've even gotten in trouble here for using punk to justify INclusion.  That is what punk means to me.  But I'm glad Honky Tonk is here to say things much better than I.

Oh and if you're classifying steampunks don't forget something like "people who have no idea how steampunk they are"  who have very often inherited the things they do directly from the last two centuries.  Unfortunately there is an inverse proportional relationship between how much cool stuff you do and how much time you spend on a message board.  Gah, curse this ungainly series of tubes!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:44:22 pm by Johnny Payphone » Logged

Steampunk life in the living world:
http://www.johnnypayphone.net/blog.php
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 01:07:20 am »

Thank you, el capitan (do you mind me calling you that?)!

My mosh salon will be spotless, do not worry.
As my sainted grandpa used say, "Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for dinner." Or I might add, for the mosh salon.
 Grin

Ah, i won't be your crewmember for long, so you better enjoy it now Wink

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 01:29:18 am »

Now mind you, as you read this list, you may find yourself falling into a number of these categories, but initially as I thought we could break ourselves into two streams of thought (the Doers and Dreamers), I also alloted that we all have aspects of both.  With this subcategorization, we also have aspects of all of these, just some may be stronger than others.

I would say the areas that are umbrellaed by "steampunk" are:

There is one category at least, that I fall into that fits none of the above.  A dreamer dreaming of doers stuff; a doer who does nothing.

I know the science, the math, the physics of doings, but haven't done (whether for lack of time, supplies, or overzealousness).  A historian, a philosopher of steam.  I love probing Dr frankenstein's mind and plotting how the old sciences might have taken a man to the moon by cannon.

Where do I fit?  Smiley

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

I must admit that it was with a sense of dread that I checked in on this thread again, but I must say that the direction it has taken is a refreshing breath of air. I am so glad to see steps being taken to wards an inclusive rather than divisive discussion of the definitions and meanings of "Steampunk".

And I am more that a little excited about this proposed Mosh Salon. You have my hands wherever needed.

Regards,
Alexander

Well, one of the joys of a topic that can cover a broad number of disciplines, is that no man or woman can be an expert in all of them. If you know your literature, you may not be able to put together an isometric to save your life or fix a boiler or solder up a Nixie clock. In a sense everyone has room to revel in their own skills whilst still appreciate the skills of others. Without the bitter taste of unilateralism or sycophancy that has been known to plague other groups with a smaller pool from which to draw.

Edisonade
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 03:45:45 am »

I must admit that it was with a sense of dread that I checked in on this thread again, but I must say that the direction it has taken is a refreshing breath of air. I am so glad to see steps being taken to wards an inclusive rather than divisive discussion of the definitions and meanings of "Steampunk".

And I am more that a little excited about this proposed Mosh Salon. You have my hands wherever needed.

Regards,
Alexander

Well, one of the joys of a topic that can cover a broad number of disciplines, is that no man or woman can be an expert in all of them. If you know your literature, you may not be able to put together an isometric to save your life or fix a boiler or solder up a Nixie clock. In a sense everyone has room to revel in their own skills whilst still appreciate the skills of others. Without the bitter taste of unilateralism or sycophancy that has been known to plague other groups with a smaller pool from which to draw.
Hear hear!  That in itself seems like a very steampunk ideal:  Roguish mad scientists toiling away in their darkened labs amidst the crackle of their jacob's ladders and fumes of the gaslamps.  All of them are working towards their own bizarre goals: mechanical spiders, aether fliers, clockwork repeating rifles, or what have you, and then gathering together and conquering mars in Her Majesty's name together. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: