The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:46:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prescriptivists  (Read 5211 times)
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« on: March 09, 2007, 05:05:30 am »

broken off from "Does Steampunk have to be Steam?" thread

LoL... "prescriptivists", I like that.

Sorry, conlanging jargon leak-through, though I stand by the derogatory connotations of someone assuming that they know what is correct and incorrect in a system that knows no such thing.

It's grossly O/T, but I wonder if by "prescriptivists" you mean the people who insist that Steampunk has to be Punk or people who defend that Steampunk is no such thing? If the latter, then the name "prescriptivists" for people who defend Steampunk's inclusivity and egalitarianism against elitist and exclusionistic Punk intrusions is a neat bit of double-think.

Actually, I was referring more to those who believe there is only one true form of steampunk and that any blending or poetic license taken outside that "rigid" form casts it as a mere aesthetic.  History does not have rigid demarcations beyond what is arbitrarily decided upon at a much later date.  If someone wants to have some machines run off diesel engines, why not? Rudolph Diesel was about as Victorian as one could be without living in London (born 1858, died 1913).  If someone wants to reach a little before 1830 for inspiration, who cares?  As long as the center is steampunk.  If one doesn't realize its an analog question, rather than digital, then they may well be a prescriptivist.

I didn't mean to take it out on you, Cory, its just been kinda building...  I just dislike self-proclaimed mavens of all sorts who support their rules of regularity with "this is just the right way and you're doing it wrong".  No supporting evidence, just over ruling others opinions with their own.

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 05:33:40 am »

broken off from "Does Steampunk have to be Steam?" thread

LoL... "prescriptivists", I like that.

Sorry, conlanging jargon leak-through, though I stand by the derogatory connotations of someone assuming that they know what is correct and incorrect in a system that knows no such thing.

It's grossly O/T, but I wonder if by "prescriptivists" you mean the people who insist that Steampunk has to be Punk or people who defend that Steampunk is no such thing? If the latter, then the name "prescriptivists" for people who defend Steampunk's inclusivity and egalitarianism against elitist and exclusionistic Punk intrusions is a neat bit of double-think.

Actually, I was referring more to those who believe there is only one true form of steampunk and that any blending or poetic license taken outside that "rigid" form casts it as a mere aesthetic.  History does not have rigid demarcations beyond what is arbitrarily decided upon at a much later date.  If someone wants to have some machines run off diesel engines, why not? Rudolph Diesel was about as Victorian as one could be without living in London (born 1858, died 1913).  If someone wants to reach a little before 1830 for inspiration, who cares?  As long as the center is steampunk.  If one doesn't realize its an analog question, rather than digital, then they may well be a prescriptivist.

I didn't mean to take it out on you, Cory, its just been kinda building...  I just dislike self-proclaimed mavens of all sorts who support their rules of regularity with "this is just the right way and you're doing it wrong".  No supporting evidence, just over ruling others opinions with their own.

I have to agree with that sentiment, i asserted something similar here.

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=438.30

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:37:02 am »

I think a very good example of this is Iron Bridge located just outside of "Ironbridge, UK"

i mean, look at the links, look at the massive amounts of iron....  its steampunk pron, this one is...

and it plans were finished in 1775.   This is not a steampunk structure.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 08:51:16 am »

Oh, thats gorgeous.
Cory
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:59:58 pm »

No worries... I understand completely. That's how I felt all through that whole row about how Steampunk has to be some Punk DIY bullshit. What made it worse was that the prescriptivists insisting that were all new people to the genre who were telling those of us who've been around for a while what the right and wrong ways of Steampunk are.

In terms of Josh's whole thing about adamantly staying with "Victorian Anachronism" - which I suspect is what you're refering to - while I disagree with the absolutely strict adeherence to the Victorian Era, it does usefully keep us focussed on the Victorian-Edwaridan tone that is required of Steampunk. If it isn't in a Victorian Scientific Romance setting then it should at least be of a Victorian Scientific Romance tone or technology, or else there's really nothing to base calling it "Steampunk" on.

It might also help to know that some of us have been through this sort of thing before with other stuff. I can't speak for Josh, but I know for myself, I remember all this debate from back in the mid-90's when all these new kids came around thinking that Marilyn Manson invented Goth and that it was really all about being angry at your parents and acting like a git. Upon being corrected by people who had been into Goth for some time and knew its history and what it was about, these same Mansonites also got all indignant about how we were trying to impose our rules on them. History washes, rinses and repeats.

I once read a very interesting observation in a review of Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates that is worth thinking about:
Postmodern/ deconstructive negative theology likes to pose as a textualist-relativist deviation from a spectral Orthodoxy that is supposedly characterised by its rigidity and dogmatism. But... Orthodoxy only persists via its retrospeculative positing in the talmudic quibbling of those who endlessly announce their deviations from 'doxa'.
The rigidity of the people you label "prescriptivists" might just be a reaction against the influx of actual prescriptivists who are trying to tell everybody what Steampunk is supposed to be based on nothing but their own misinformed opinions.
arcane
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 05:13:50 pm »

It might also help to know that some of us have been through this sort of thing before with other stuff. I can't speak for Josh, but I know for myself, I remember all this debate from back in the mid-90's when all these new kids came around thinking that Marilyn Manson invented Goth and that it was really all about being angry at your parents and acting like a git. Upon being corrected by people who had been into Goth for some time and knew its history and what it was about, these same Mansonites also got all indignant about how we were trying to impose our rules on them. History washes, rinses and repeats.

That was an utterly dreadful time. The same attitude persists to this day, only now it's AFI and My Chemical Romance instead of Marilyn Manson.   Cry
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:36:39 pm »

The rigidity of the people you label "prescriptivists" might just be a reaction against the influx of actual prescriptivists who are trying to tell everybody what Steampunk is supposed to be based on nothing but their own misinformed opinions.

Quite possibly but if some people wish to justify frantic empire building masked by the paper thin veil of perceived exclusivity (much in the same way EST did it back in the 60's (Did you get it? Do you get it? What do you mean your not getting it? These other people get it. Why don't you? Why don't you want to get it? What's wrong with you? Etc etc YAWN.....)) Then I'm inclined to let them, do you know how difficult it is keeping a pack of scihophants in order? How badly that kind of constant prase can warp your view of reality?

If they are that content to march towards mental illness with a vacant grin on their face then the least I can do is cheer them on with 21 trumpets blaring.

What I'm getting at is most of us are smart people, I seriously doubt if someone popped by profession to be the brassy king or queen of steampunk that many people would fall on their knees and start worshipping. Yes, they could cause social "damage" but only if you let them get to you. Cheesy

kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 04:08:43 am »

The only problem is the fact that i have scoured these forums, and have not found any "punk" or DIY elitism. Most things here should be taken as IMHO. The only people that turn out looking elitist are the "prescriptivists" that condemn any mention of this side. What we need to realize is that the punkiness IS a part of steampunk to a lot of us, and we don't think anyone is less of a steampunk fan for not liking that side but it does exist. And taking that away from those of us who enjoy it is just mean.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 04:45:27 am »

The only problem is the fact that i have scoured these forums, and have not found any "punk" or DIY elitism. Most things here should be taken as IMHO. The only people that turn out looking elitist are the "prescriptivists" that condemn any mention of this side. What we need to realize is that the punkiness IS a part of steampunk to a lot of us, and we don't think anyone is less of a steampunk fan for not liking that side but it does exist. And taking that away from those of us who enjoy it is just mean.
thats because it was never elitism, I think at one point it was discussed that there was a lot of DIY ethic present in steampunk, and that there was soo much that it could be considered one of the defining traits of the subculture, but that so far seems to be true and it doesn't exclude or invalidate the contributions of anyone else .The DIY folks have played a huge role in steampunk's formation, and thats neat because other subcultures don't have that so much it's unique.

It really isn't the argument it's been made into, there is a place for everything and everyone who has an interest, it's all just a process of configuration, and experimentation and thats fun too....at least it can be we let it.

I mean, what else is there to do but try things which seem like they might be cool, and then if it is cool, and if it isn't try something else. Build something, write something, make some music, share an idea, be inventive, imagine the future or reinterpret a past vision of the future in a new way bringing a new idea into something that needed it.

which part of that is bad?

Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 06:29:17 am »

thats because it was never elitism, I think at one point it was discussed that there was a lot of DIY ethic present in steampunk, and that there was soo much that it could be considered one of the defining traits of the subculture, but that so far seems to be true and it doesn't exclude or invalidate the contributions of anyone else .The DIY folks have played a huge role in steampunk's formation, and thats neat because other subcultures don't have that so much it's unique.

It really isn't the argument it's been made into, there is a place for everything and everyone who has an interest, it's all just a process of configuration, and experimentation and thats fun too....at least it can be we let it.

I mean, what else is there to do but try things which seem like they might be cool, and then if it is cool, and if it isn't try something else. Build something, write something, make some music, share an idea, be inventive, imagine the future or reinterpret a past vision of the future in a new way bringing a new idea into something that needed it.

which part of that is bad?

kiskolou-- I believe the reaction against "punk elitism" began because some sentiments were expressed not long after the public opening of this forum, that it would be a sad day when steampunk articles show up in shopping malls. I think there were even one or two people who advocated that DIY steampunk artifacts would be superior to storebought ones.
Some of the folks who have been publicly involved with Steampunk before the recent explosion of DIY steampunk projects online, took exception to this sentiment, and I don't blame them.
But, I thought that debate had been all hashed out. It had seemed that everyone had agreed that there was a place for makers and for those who don't make but just want to enjoy the steampunk community and it's associated literature, films, comics, etc.
I don't want to see anybody excluded from the community, certainly not those who have been struggling to build websites, make music, and what-have-you in the past.
I also don't want the makers and punks to feel excluded, and I have gotten the feeling that some people don't want them in the community. I for one have been getting really disheartened by the condemnation that comes down when someone mentions the punk side. Sure steampunk isn't punk, but it can be. It doesn't have to be, and no one should be excluded because they aren't punk, or don't like punk, or don't want any punk influence in their Victorian Anachronism. The inverse is also true. Some folks like their "steam punky, and their punk steamy," and they shouldn't be excluded either.

Fantomas--YES!! I most wholeheartedly concur.

Cory-- Sir, I know we clash frequently in these debates. Please forgive me, once again if I have offended. It is not my intention to spoil steampunk for you. I sincerely respect the knowledge and experience you bring to this community. As I stated above, I don't want to see "punk elitism" become part of steampunk. I do think there is a place for those who enjoy a little punk with their steam, however. I am not asking you to embrace a punk ethic. Far from it. Keep on doing what you do. You are a vital contributor to this forum. Sometimes I clash with you because I respect your opinions and your mind, even though we don't always agree. I have benefited greatly from some of these discussions. Like the Indians, I treasure a worthy opponent.
I would ask you to consider that in your opposition to seeing "punk elitism" become the predominant steampunk paradigm, you might have said somethings that could be interpreted as being a little elitist by others. To paraphrase Nietzsche, "He who struggles with dragons, should take care lest he become a dragon." (No pun intended) Which is why I value this intellectual fencing with you.

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 07:50:12 am »

Honky-tonk, you said what became garbled in my ramblings. Sorry, i get a little hot-heated, and lose my point. I whole heartedly concur, El Capitan.
Crow
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 07:57:34 am »

That was an utterly dreadful time. The same attitude persists to this day, only now it's AFI and My Chemical Romance instead of Marilyn Manson.   Cry
yeah, whenever I go to hot topic looking for interesting things, these "goths" come up to me and are like "get out you're not goth", last time that happened I said "if you were truly 'goth' where were you when we sacked rome?" which I think I picked up off of a t-shirt, but they have left me alone since then

"And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
- The Wasteland,T.S. Eliot
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 05:00:37 pm »

I have been thinking about this since I started submitting to this forum and as a result read the majority of the conversations.  I think the major major issue is that steampunk is an umbrella term that fits a lot of different areas because those areas by themselves are so small that they don't make up a scene.

Now mind you, as you read this list, you may find yourself falling into a number of these categories, but initially as I thought we could break ourselves into two streams of thought (the Doers and Dreamers), I also alloted that we all have aspects of both.  With this subcategorization, we also have aspects of all of these, just some may be stronger than others.

I would say the areas that are umbrellaed by "steampunk" are:

Pure Steampunk Enthusiasts-
These are the people that are interested in the "true" genre of Steampunk as defined in the 80s.  They are readers and fans of the "neo-victorian-science-fiction" genre.

Neo Victorians-
Interested more in the fashion aspect of the Victorian era.  Most of these guys came out of the Goth thing but found themselves too smart and too happy (and perhaps too busy) to paint their faces every day.  Many embrace the Victorian "gentleman's ethic" and the accessories that made the Victorian era so fashionable.

Victorian Science Fiction Enthusiasts-
These individuals are truly inspired and escaped by the realities created by Wells, Verne, and others that wrote in that era.  They enjoy the way that language was used, the way that society was described, etc.

Manga/Anime Fans-
Interested primarily in the Japanese take on victorian-era sci fi.  Have seen steamboy and all of the others and can name characters off the top of their head.

The Steam Heads-
These are guys like Mr. Payphone (and others) who are interested and able to get their hands dirty in iron.  They can build, maintain, and enjoy antique (and sometimes modern) steam engines.

The Gentleman Punk-
Mostly interested in the against-the-system mentality and punk aesthetic.  These guys embrace steampunk because it offers an escape from the Hot-topic-buyout of their revered original genre.  Steampunk allows them to be alternative by dressing and acting in a civilized manner.

The Modders-
These are the guys who are the prop makers.  They like the aesthetic of Victorian science but try to find ways of reconciling that with modern electronics and ways of living.  These are the guys who can paint squirt guns to make brilliant models of equipment that could have been common place in a world that never was.  These are the guys that can hide a computer in a Victorian library and you would have no idea that it was anything but authentic.

The Creators-
These are the musicians, authors, illustrators, painters, etc.  These guys are creators from scratch finding their influence in a time that wasn't.  These are the people who's hands form what their imagination tells them.

And I think that once people understand that we all have aspects of all of these things in our personalities (or else we wouldn't be here), we can get on with it and continue to make the scene great.  Some of you may relate 100 percent to one of these titles, others may be able to relate to all of them.  That's the thing.  Just because you are a 100 percent Gentleman Punk doesn't make the Modder any less valuable to the scene.  And vice verse.

OK, I will step off of my soap box again.
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 05:49:44 pm »

Pure Steampunk Enthusiasts-
These are the people that are interested in the "true" genre of Steampunk as defined in the 80s.  They are readers and fans of the "neo-victorian-science-fiction" genre.

I don't fit with this.

Neo Victorians-
Interested more in the fashion aspect of the Victorian era.  Most of these guys came out of the Goth thing but found themselves too smart and too happy (and perhaps too busy) to paint their faces every day.  Many embrace the Victorian "gentleman's ethic" and the accessories that made the Victorian era so fashionable.

I fit here.  I also come out of the fetish community.  Dressing up like a hobgoblin while living in a cheesy version of Dracula's Castle seems silly to me.  I'm too mentally old for that, and I like nice clothes and belongings, not tons of kitsch.  My interests are also too wide-ranging to be contained in Goth.

Victorian Science Fiction Enthusiasts-
These individuals are truly inspired and escaped by the realities created by Wells, Verne, and others that wrote in that era.  They enjoy the way that language was used, the way that society was described, etc.

I belong here too- and I love lots of Victorian fiction in general.  I also like some of the etiquette, style and attitudes of that era- they feel natural to me.

Manga/Anime Fans-
Interested primarily in the Japanese take on victorian-era sci fi.  Have seen steamboy and all of the others and can name characters off the top of their head.

Again, not me.  But I appreciate good anime.

The Steam Heads-
These are guys like Mr. Payphone (and others) who are interested and able to get their hands dirty in iron.  They can build, maintain, and enjoy antique (and sometimes modern) steam engines.
I cautiously put myself here.  To some extent I'm living in the 19th Century, through cookery and such.  And I like fixing things.  I want to learn more about the mechanics of steam, and I find Mr Payphone rapturous!

The Gentleman Punk-
Mostly interested in the against-the-system mentality and punk aesthetic.  These guys embrace steampunk because it offers an escape from the Hot-topic-buyout of their revered original genre.  Steampunk allows them to be alternative by dressing and acting in a civilized manner.

I'm actually more of a Gentlewoman Bohemian.  But the rest fits.  I was a Goth/Punk before the term was invented, in high school.  I was also a neo-Victorian then, but didn't know it.

The Modders-
These are the guys who are the prop makers.  They like the aesthetic of Victorian science but try to find ways of reconciling that with modern electronics and ways of living.  These are the guys who can paint squirt guns to make brilliant models of equipment that could have been common place in a world that never was.  These are the guys that can hide a computer in a Victorian library and you would have no idea that it was anything but authentic.

This is my thing, only I want to do it to an entire apartment.  I want to hide every modern item, or disguise it, or replace it.  Not because I hate the modern world, but because it's fun.

The Creators-
These are the musicians, authors, illustrators, painters, etc.  These guys are creators from scratch finding their influence in a time that wasn't.  These are the people who's hands form what their imagination tells them.

I guess I belong here too, because I want to build certain things that I want and live life on my own terms.

Hmm.  I think we should all think about this.  I think there's room for everyone.  It  really made me think.

A true alternative subculture is one that not only questions the social status quo but poses viable solutions to some of the perceived underlying problems. Difference from the norm is not the same as superiority to the mainstream unless it can be  argued that the difference is positing a better way.
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 08:13:08 pm »

I'd fit with the victorian science fiction group, the gentleman punk group, and the "true" punk enthusiasts group( a little.)
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 08:30:52 pm »

I'd fit with the victorian science fiction group, the gentleman punk group, and the "true" punk enthusiasts group( a little.)

Does that mean we get to say things like, 'Oi, Sir!  Have you heard that revival of that old gramophone recording by the Sex Pistols?  It's very flash, indeed! Pardon me while I adjust the Union Jack that I have hanging from the back of my frock coat; I do believe it was ruffled while I was in the midst of that mosh salon.'
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 08:32:05 pm »

mosh salon   Cheesy
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

...yeah, sorry, there isn't much else one can do with a philosophy/political science/economics degree than sit on forums and analyze social structures....

I did hope to bind rather divide with that monologue, however.

kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 01:50:59 am »

Does that mean we get to say things like, 'Oi, Sir!  Have you heard that revival of that old gramophone recording by the Sex Pistols?  It's very flash, indeed! Pardon me while I adjust the Union Jack that I have hanging from the back of my frock coat; I do believe it was ruffled while I was in the midst of that mosh salon.'

I am starting a Mosh salon. Right now.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 06:23:49 am »

Capt. Wring, I salute you!
Similar thoughts have been occurring to me, but had not coalesced so eloquently. I might suggest another term for those who you term "pure steampunk enthusiasts." Though I don't believe you intended to imply that those folks are "purer" in their interest, it could be misconstrued. All I can think of as alternatives would be 80's steampunk, or cyber-steampunk, but neither sounds that great...

Just a constructive remark, all-in-all this discussion has taken a definite turn for the better. Thank you.

I like the phrase gentleman punk. It brings almost as much of a smile to my face as "mosh salon."
Mmmm... mosh salon... mmmmm.
As a dumb punk kid in the late 80's I was wearing waist coats with my combat boots and carrying a pocket watch... Finding the comic Baker Street was like a revelation for me and heavily influenced how I pictured the world portrayed in the Difference Engine when I first read it a few years later.

But I am also a painter... I have been painting in oils since the age of 10. My initial training came from a friend of the family, an art conservator and restorer, so I learned an appreciation for the old school craft of painting. Some might argue, but as far as classical oil painting goes, there hasn't been a major change to technology of the craft since the introduction of tubed paints in the Victorian era. Oh some new pigments have been introduced, as well as some synthetic mediums and varnishes, but a picture of my painting studio would be very similar to a small studio from 125 years ago. It is filled with wooden boxes, tinned tubes, jars, vials, bottles, and vases full of brushes. And to me there is something magical in that. It just felt wrong to me to store paints in a plastic tackle box, when I could restore a vintage pochade box that looks like an oversized wooden briefcase. It is an aesthetic that bleeds into other aspects of my life.

So when I finally got a vintage Vespa last summer, which was in desperate need of repainting, I started doing sketches for a steampunk paint job.

I remember reading the Wiki on steampunk a few years ago, and seeing that line mentioning folks trying to form a steampunk subculture. Sounded cool, but the only other things I could really find online at the time were sights listing books and movies.

But since discovering this forum, latent interests in Victorian fashion, culture, literature, and technology have been reawakened or inspired. I think something special is going on here. While I certainly would have kept plodding along, doing whatever the heck it is I do with out, with the education and inspiration of this forum, my aesthetic is becoming refined and broadened. I really doubt I am alone in this sentiment, regardless of the various routes others took to get there.

Heh, heh, heh... "Mosh salon"
 Grin

Kiskolou, the main deck of the USAS Langtry is at your disposal... though as a Sr. Officer, I am also making it your responsibility to organize the work crew to clean up afterwards... pull this off, and I see you making Captain soon.
 Wink

kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 06:33:09 am »

Thank you, el capitan (do you mind me calling you that?)!

My mosh salon will be spotless, do not worry.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 06:41:54 am »

Thank you, el capitan (do you mind me calling you that?)!

My mosh salon will be spotless, do not worry.
As my sainted grandpa used say, "Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for dinner." Or I might add, for the mosh salon.
 Grin
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 07:18:22 am »

I was kicking around the phrase "Literary Steam Revivalist", but honestly, the people I am talking about are those like Cory who have been reading and appreciating the ACTUAL original genre of Steampunk as it was written in the 80s.  I would say that that era really is "pure" steampunk.  Prior to any other influences.

But again, this was not the purpose of the post.  The purpose, of course, was to emphasize that it is these divisions that, well, divide us.  By recognizing that these divisions exist, we have a much better chance of understanding and appreciating other members of the "team" even though they may have VASTLY differing oppinions on what the genre is or should be.

There should aslo be a listing for the Modern Hollywood Enthusiast - the people who enjoy Hellboy, Time Machine, LxE, etc.  But I couldn't find a hot way to wrap up those guys.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 07:23:54 am »

Yes, I understood it that way, and hopefully most folks would... no offense was intended.
It was excellent post, Thanks again.
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 11:31:02 am »

I must admit that it was with a sense of dread that I checked in on this thread again, but I must say that the direction it has taken is a refreshing breath of air. I am so glad to see steps being taken towards an inclusive rather than divisive discussion of the definitions and meanings of "Steampunk".

And I am more that a little excited about this proposed Mosh Salon. You have my hands wherever needed.

Regards,
Alexander

The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: