The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 02:22:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egoism: A Victoriental Steampunk Shadow Puppetshow Of Greed  (Read 631 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:59:14 pm »

Speak Of Playing God  Wink :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VF1UN7dEU

Bonus: 1988, A Little Geary Farandole By The Same Artist:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7O6p3V8ns
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:34:37 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:20:20 am »

What is "ricepunk"?

Is it like "silkpunk"?

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:10:24 pm »

It is the eastern counterpart to steampunk.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 04:07:46 pm »

Ah.  I had only ever heard that as "silkpunk", a term suggested by some Asian-American SF writers.

Where did the term "ricepunk" come from?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 07:10:33 pm »

I'm not sure how culturally respectful that name is. Slightly offensive to be honest,  and a little silly,  yes?  Like saying Vindaloo punk.  I know, why not Tacopunk while we're at it?

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 10:53:07 pm »

Said like it, that quite true ( and whiles searching a answer to Crescat's inquiry, i realise the genre doesn't even  ''officially'' exist''). But i wasn't sure if i could use the term ''victoriental steampunk'' for designing this short, so i use this term i heard in a interview of the Ministry Of Particular Occurrence crew.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 01:32:05 am »

What items were rice powered?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 04:14:50 am »

Said like it, that quite true ( and whiles searching a answer to Crescat's inquiry, i realise the genre doesn't even  ''officially'' exist''). But i wasn't sure if i could use the term ''victoriental steampunk'' for designing this short, so i use this term i heard in a interview of the Ministry Of Particular Occurrence crew.

Well, "rice" doesn't even give an indication that any cultural Victoriana or Industrial Era is involved either. "Meijipunk" and "Quingpunk" would make much better descriptors of Asian Industrial Era anachronism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_period

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty

Plus in the least effort case, it wouldn't be that hard to write "Sinopunk." Note that not all Asians want to be dumped into a single category either ("Asianpunk") try that with Indians, Koreans and Japanese, for example.

I'm not trying to raise controversy here. It's just that in my opinion, "Ricepunk" is stereotypical in the absolute best case scenario and offensive in the worst.  We have Japanese and Chinese members in this Steampunk Forum. Please think ahead of time.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 04:24:38 am »

Is "silkpunk" better?

It has got going for it that it was coined and popularized by Chinese-American SF author Ken Liu. 

On the other hand, almost all the references to it are associated directly with Liu (with a few mentions of Barry Hughart's ingenious "Master Li and Number Ten Ox" trilogy).

So ... obscure, but not condescending.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 04:33:13 am »

Not rocket science. Condescending? Yes, in it's cultural significance. Is rice the defining characteristic of Asians? It's low in int's connotation.  Silk, one the other hand is priced around the world.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 05:10:08 am »

Well, it's not my culture or my place, so I'll refrain from labeling it until and unless some Asian Steampunks come up with a term they prefer.

So far most of the (mostly Japanese) Asian material I've seen just calls it "Steampunk".
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 01:20:07 pm »

The first movie in question also uses balinese shadow puppets. I'm not sure the people of Bali wants to be shoved into the same box as the people of China.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 01:41:52 pm »

Just changed  the thread title with a more sensible one.

That would teach me to use others lexicon instead of my own, because victoriental steampunk is definitely the term i use usually.

( Said the main criticise i feared was the movie doesn't seem to be setted in the 19th century, hence the use of a more temporally neutral term)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:45:36 pm by chicar » Logged
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 06:22:19 pm »

When I hear "Meijipunk" I think of these guys:

http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Westernized-Samurai-1866-meiji-era.jpg
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 06:30:47 pm »

I think you were supposed to.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 02:18:34 am »

I think you were supposed to.

Well,  that was the whole point of Emperor Meiji: the Westernisation of Japan.  He was trying to make Japan competitive and set it on equal footing with the world powers at the time.  The Samurai class were disbanded forcibly in favour of a western style military with a central authority under the emperor.  Industrialisation became the central goal,  and the upper classes adopted Western fashion and customs. The lower classes took longer to adopt Western dress,  and traditional Kimono dress (male and female) was combined with Western fashion.  Thus the Meiji style was very Steampunk in the sense of mixing cultures and time periods (say Edo period aesthetics with Western industrial aesthetics)

I've posted this "1000" times already:

The Last Samurai Official Trailer #1 - (2003) HD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: