The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 10:08:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ace of The Duck Pond The Good Doctor.  (Read 5314 times)
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:29 am »

Liam walked out and looked for the motorbike.  He wanted to check it over, but knew he didn't have the strength to fix anything.   

He also knew it might seem unmanly to let Donna drive, but his shoulder was in no condition to steer a bike with.  He halfway hoped it would have a sidecar just so he could ride without using his arm.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2015, 12:49:15 am »

"I will see if I can snag you some pie.  You watch over the captian while we are gone. She will need you when she wakes up. My belly is talking i bet hers will be too."  Donna waved cheerily and started towards a tarp that looked well cared for.  The bike was rapped in a tarp tucked between the shed and the next hanger. "I will warn you Jace has an interesting idea of what is appealing."  She said pulling the tarp back and revealing a motley riot of color masquerading as a motorcycle.

The doctor walked over and checked on Jace.  "May I sit beside you?"  He said turning to Al.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2015, 04:45:50 am »

"Not too close, Jace needs some breathing space." Al said. He still didn't like the Doc much (what kind of Doc was he? He didn't seem like a medic, and Al found the man distinctly creepy), and with Meri gone for her shower, he felt oddly alone. It was wonderful being so close to Jace, and feeling her warmth close to hin as he sat by the cot, but He wasn't sure the doc should be anywhere close. Still, best to be able to keep an eye on the man, he figured.
----

Meri washed away the filth of the battle and the day. Contrary to what many people believed, just because she was a vampire didn't mean she slept in dirt (though she kept a small bag of sand from the yard of the embassy where she was turned in the secret not-place where she kept her swords and other weapons), and she if she was anything about cleanliness, it was fastidious. She considered changing into a flight of bats and washing that form as well, but decided against it; That Wilfred was extraordinarily good about letting her use his shower, but she figured it was best not to jump too quickly into friendships, despite her earlier actions. She felt the vibrations in the deck of someone approaching the hangar, and turned off the water, whipped a towel from the bar, dried herself in record time, and then manifested a sheath dress, simultaneously melting into the shadows; it was as if she had never been there, and in fact she was not, though she was watching from the not-place* to see who trespassed in Wilfred's domain.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2015, 04:55:40 am »

"She is quite a woman your captain. Did you know of her talent before today?"  He wondered if anyone else knew or if she was a fresh find.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2015, 07:51:59 pm »

"All Pilots have 'knacks' for things, Doc." Al answered, after considering his words and attitude. He had been about to snap at him to shut his mouth and keep back (he really didn't trust the man), but then decided that since the fellow seemed to know somewhat about such things, perhaps he could glean a little intel from his palaver. "The most common is the knowin' of the next thing most likely to happen; it goes with the territory to be able to make a split-second prediction and act on it in the same instant. Trouble is, it usually only kicks in when you're in the air or in battle, leastwise that's how it is with me. The rest of the time it's damned useless, and seems silly to talk about.

He paused and pulled a cheroot out of the left upper arm pocket of his flightsuit. He offered it the doc, who refused it (he seemed a bit put off by it), then put it in his side teeth, lit it and puffed for a minute before continuing. "The lifting and moving stuff? I've seen things happen around her before; mostly I put it down to the kind of luck that happens in an aerodrome. You know, the so-called "gremlins" and such, though that ain't what we called 'em back home. Mentioned it to her once or twice, she didn't seem t' think it was pertinent."

"But surely you - and she - know that such things are not so very common?"

"I'm a practical man, doc," Al answered. "And pragmatic, because that's the way you kind of have to be to survive in this business. Define "common." Define "Normal." The terms vary in meaning with the situation and context, am I right?. Take that vamp girl, whatever her name is. She's not "normal" or a "human" as we think of such things, but to her, in her own mind, I'd be willing to wager she thinks she's pretty regular for the kind that she is. "Evil?" Who's more evil, the person who does what she has to do to survive be it what others consider evil, or good, for that matter - or the person who uses her to accomplish an obviously evil and harmful purpose?" m He puffed on his cheroot for a moment, then added. that's more plilosophizing than I've done in the past six months, right there.

As for teh Cap'n? she's a lot the same, I think, though she's a more... well, call it "passionate" for lack of a better way t' say it... about things than I tend to be."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2015, 07:54:37 pm »

Wilfred entered his hanger with the gun balanced on his shoulder, the hanger was quite, but there was someone else here.
"Why are you here?" he asked the air.
"Where is the device?" asked a voice out of fresh air.
"What device?" Wilfred asked the air while slowly looking around out of the corner of his eyes.
"Don't test us, we know who you are, where you came from and what you are!"
Wilfred chucked, "What exactly do you think I am?"
The words hit him like a slap to the face, "A betrayer, a murderer and a thief." the voice said and out of the corner of his eye he spotted movement. Wilfred pulled out his revolver, fired and was rewarded with a grunt before a man appeared from the shadows. Wilfred walked up to the man and hoisted him up by the collar and the man mumbled something in german.
"Tell me why you are here?"
"My masters want the gyroscope!"
"Go buy one, I here the scrap dealers have a few going cheep."
"They don't have that kind of gyroscope."
"And what kind of gyroscope are you after?"
"The Crossing Gyroscope."
"I don't have it."
"We know the old man brought it to you. If you give it to us, we will stop the attacks."
Wilfred looked at the mans face then threw him to the floor, "Meri, are you still here, I have something more fresh then the bloody bit of meat in my cold box."
Out of the shadows Meri appeared, there was hunger in her eyes and her fangs were dripping saliva. Wilfred walked over to his office, grabbed a beer and watched as Meri knelt down.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2015, 08:18:46 pm »

"Your pardon. He smelled ... furtive... but I do not know your other dealings, Fellow Traveller, so I simply hid and waited." Meri said, after finishing her meal, and folding the remains of the corpse into the not-place to be disposed of elsewhere, later; she also wiped up the mess on the floor of the hangar. "His blood is less fat than I expected." 

She got up, came over and stood and leaned against the pole just outside of the doorway of the office. "Thank you for the shower,"  she said, bowing. She didn't think it warranted the seiza position, but decided to be civil at least. "I cannot keep calling you "Fellow Traveller," so I hope that "Wilfred" or "Wil" would be alright. My full name is Merovingia Harper-Chen. You may keep calling me 'Meri' if you wish. 'Ia' will work as well, but I prefer the former."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2015, 09:55:13 pm »

"Wilfred will do me." He replied watching as she cleaned up.  He heard a motor cycle and realised that donna and liam had returned. "Shall we join the others?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2015, 09:59:28 pm »

"I have studied people like her in the medical archive.  It can be dangerous if not controlled.  Her will must be incredible. It explains the amazing adventures I  heard of the Aces.  I researched you before I planned my escape."  It was important he make a separation in their minds between him and the order.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2015, 10:59:29 pm »

"from what I've seen of such things elsewhere, it can be dangerous if the wrong people control it, too." For some reason, Al felt the Colt in it's shoulder holster just then; not as if it had moved, but rather as if he had suddenly, on some level, realized that it was there. He also felt the locations of his other weapons as well; the khukri felt as if it's handle were digging into his hip. Overall, it felt almost the same as it often did when things seemed to be on the verge of a fight.

"Brings me to a point I've been trying to connect the dots on." Al checked himself, then decided, what the hell, might as well test the stormwaters. "Doc, you said earlier that you'd not expected 'Them' to set 'the Dragon' on you, meaning the order sending the vamp girl, I suspect. You seem to have kind of an intimate connection with these people. I mean, you know what their most feared agent is called, and they want you specifically by name, and expend horrifically-powerful forces to try to get you 'back.' I think I distinctly remember you talking like that. Just how well do you know this 'Order' bunch, anyway?"

----------
"I think that would be well," Meri answered Wilfred, and stood aside, motioning for him to proceed. "Don't worry, I don't attack allies from behind." she smiled, this time letting her now almost-normal canines show. Seeing the look from Wilfed that humans amost always seemed to give her when they knew what she was, shbe added, " They only grow by themselves when I'm starving or contemplating hunting or attacking. I just fed, so now they're mostly normal." Her face was impecably clean and she had even applied lipstick; her nails were not polished, but looked as if she had never been near dirt ion her life.

When they entered the hangar, They heard the conversation between the doctor and Al, and heard Al ask the doctor how well he knew the order.

"Better than he wants to say, Ill warrant," Meri said, as she and Wilfred walked up.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:04:18 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2015, 11:29:38 pm »

He had not expected them to push back so soon but they would not catch him off guard.  "My brother pulled me in when I was just 17. They kept me from the army and gave me an education   They employed me to research weapons of war.  They swore to me our time of peace was nearing its end and that our country would burn to the ground.  I believed them." The doctor poured emotions in to his words hoping they would not force details.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2015, 04:56:57 pm »

Al looked up from the conversation with the Doc, and asked, "Do you know something we need to know about this, Miss... say, what IS your name, anyway?"

Meri sighed. It's a good thing everyone else is here as well, perhaps I won't have to explain this again, she thought. "The name I was born with is Merovingia Harper-Chen. I prefer to be called "Meri" or "Ia" for obvious reasons."

"I Will explain this once, because it always comes up sooner or later" she added. "Yes, I am Eurasian, Chinese-British, to be exact, not Japanese. I was turned at the ripe age of nineteen, when I tried to execute my mission for Her Majesty's Secret Service. I have already been told numerous times that such a thing is impossible; allow me to assure you that in my homeworld, it is common. Yes, You heard me rightly; I am from an entirely different world from your own. That's probably why I am so different from the vampires or humans of your world." She said nothing of what she suspected of Wilfred's origin; that was his business to tell or not, not hers.

"I know very little more than the rest of you of what the Order wants with good Doctor Gerhard," she continued. "I was an enforcer, a liaison through the German alliance with the Empire of Japan, with which the village that adopted me was aligned - until recently." Her jaw clenched at the memory of why the village was no longer so aligned, but she did not elaborate on that score.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:41:32 pm by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2015, 08:34:57 am »

"Sorry for the delay, we had a visitor that needed to be dealt with." Wilfred said looking at the doctor. He moved over to check on Jace. "How are you feeling?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2015, 05:30:09 pm »

"He was absolutely delicious," Meri said, almost coquettishly. She turned serious, then. "She seems all right. She smells...exhausted. She should feed-" she stopped and then started again. "Your pardon. She should eat something as soon as she can sit up. Not very much, take it slowly, or she'll probably be sick." Meri was not sure why she cared, but she inexplicably (to her own mind, at least) felt protective of this small group of erstwhile enemies.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:42:35 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:32 am »

"Five more minutes Ma." Jace mumbled sleepily and tried to bury her head in her arms.

Donna came in laughing a huge hamper of food in her arms.  Liam followed with a crate of bottles.  Her face was lit up in a way Al had not seen since Shanghai.  "They doubled our order because we ran off those crazy Germans."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2015, 05:32:41 am »

"Just desserts of the conquering heroes!" Al said, as he savored the aroma of his reuben sandwich. "C'mon, Jace, lets wake upand have a few bites." He held her by the shoulders and helped her to sit up, supporting her back with one hand as he put his sandwich down on a table that one of the others had dragged over, and unwrapped her sandwich for her.

For Meri's part, she was a bit overwhelmed by the smells of the food, and walked off over by the Blue Duck. A movement in the shadows next to the Duck's main float had caught her eye, and as she walked over, the hilt of her shortsword suddenly jutted from her left side as she gripped it and pulled it out in a fluid, stealthy motion. She caught a scent that she recognized all too well.

"So... they have you little ones here, TOO!?" she said  in a rising voice tone as she reached around and over the forward-jutting prow of the main float and hauled a small, leathery, ill-clad form out into the light. "Well, well, well, what have we here?" she said, licking her lips as she held the gremlin upside down by its left leg.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:43:55 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2015, 07:09:33 am »

Jace was unsure how she had ended up here until a horrible stiffness in her mussels reminded her of what had happened.  "I was hoping that was a dream."  She said relaxing slowly in Al's arms.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2015, 07:49:10 am »

Al handed Jace the sandwich. "Here, take a bite. I'm no expert, but Tall Dark and Vampy says you need it, and I always feel better after I Eat a little after a riough patch." He held her close as she chewed.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2015, 04:34:38 pm »

"Oof I feel like a rusty hinge."  Jace stiffy turned her head to smile up at Al and slowly chewed her sandwich.  "Have things been quiet while I was out?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2015, 05:02:38 pm »

"Pretty much. Me'n th' doc here've been discussing his origins." Al decided not to burden her with his suspicions or Meri's distrust of the Doc for the moment.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2015, 07:17:39 pm »

Jace leaned in close to Al's face concern in her eyes.  " Did I fly because I remember being in the air bur that can't be real can it?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:01 pm »

Al was torn; he wanted to make Jace feel safe and secure, but at the same time, he was adamantly determined to be truthful with her. She deserved that much, at lthe very least. "yes, you did; well, more like stood in midair. Funny thing, I was a little scared, I think, but at the same time, I kept thinking how pretty you looked in midair." He stopped and colored slightly. Er, well, you know what I mean..." Great, nitwit, say somethin' stupid, that'll cheer her up right fast," he thought to himself sarcastically.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2015, 08:41:07 pm »

Confusion played across Jace's face.  She knew Al was speaking the truth but how could that have happened.  She leaned her head on his sholder.  "I think we both need a drink handsome"
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2015, 01:47:24 am »

Liam eyed the vampire and the gremlin.   He knew his duty, but he had also been told not to reveal his mission or his true nature. 

He decided to let things develop.   One gremlin was never an issue.  He would have to find the nest soon though.

Meanwhile, he could focus on taking care of his friends, and figuring out what this "doctor" was up to.  No one had the smell of that much magic use on them by accident or coercion.   For someone to delve that deep, there were certain safeguards that required "the willing surrender" of blood, and more.    Liam doubted the man's soul was still in tact.  He owed entities on some level.   Magic users of that level ended up owning otherworldly beings, and being owned by them.   They never seemed to realize it was a 2 way bargain..........

Yes, this man must be watched, and if anything odd happened, Liam would need to use one of the special bullets just to make sure the doctor wasn't "protected."

All of this flowed through Liam's mind as he cracked open a wine the lady had said would be weak enough for even Jace to take in.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2015, 04:01:10 am »

Here comes a pop wine, looks like," Al said, acceptingthe bottle from Liam with a smile. "Prob'ly better'n my carburetor juice, an' better for ya." he held the bottle close to her mouth. "You wanna hold it or shall I?"
------------

Meri considered the options. If she let the little nuisance live, it would be a possible source of intel; the little fellows must have seen the germans come  in and what they did while they were here.

"Did you see the visitors who attacked these people," she turned around and made a sweeping gesture that included everyone in teh hanger, "Come in, and what they did?"

"Y-yes! Yes, mistress, I did!" the little fellow squeaked, seeing a possible way to stay alive.

"Well?" Her tone was a combination of inquisitive, severe, and yet almost motherly.

"They lay in wait for them."

"Yes, that much we know already."

"W-w-well, they put a box over there b-by the d-door, and a-a-attached strings to it..."

Meri walked over to the small door beside the hangar door, still holding her captive gremlin, but by an arm and upright, rather than upside down. She found a small wooden box, and yes, there were the strings, or rather wires, running out of holes in one end. One blue, and one red...  shower of sparks both struck form metal on concrete and from severance of an elctrical circuit, and they were slashed in two. "You did well," she said to the gremlin, which preened and looked evilly smug as it stole very venomous glances at th vampiress. Too late diod he realize she was on to him, as she whipped out the katana, tossed him in teh air, and cut him in four pieces with barely a thought. She cleaned her hands and the blade, and carried the box back to the group. "Mr. Hunter- Ah, Liam?" she said as she approached. "This box smells odd, like nervous german sweat, and perhaps their version of what I used to know as "gelignite." Perhaps you should take a look at it..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: