The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 08:00:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ace Of The Duck Pond an alternate history deaslpunkish game occ and start up  (Read 8038 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »

Horrifically busy today: blood test this afternoon and a performance tonight, plus must sew a pocket back onto shirt for this evening (Sick this morning and had to spruce up bathrooms for a relative's visit - folks can't do it, all that bending over and crawling on knees etc., doncherknow...; had a normal lunch and no ill effects except ... urp ... appetite suppressants are so much FUN *dripping with sarcasm*)... must now drive all the way to hospital to wait for thirty minutes in waiting room just for barely four minutes of bloodwork, back on clogged freeway yadda yadda yadda. Might have something up by midafternoon, but kind of doubtful. Definitely latenight and/or tomorrow sometime.

*pant, pant*

yes, it's all definitely "pants," until performance time (LOL).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:17:47 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:04 pm »

... and had to spruce up bathrooms for a relative's visit - folks can't do it, all that bending over and crawling on kness etc.,...

Oh to be able to crawl around on knees.
13 years of kneeling down and my knees required over 2000mg of Naproxin !(Naproxin is one of the big 4 that cause harm at this level of dose!)

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #277 on: December 11, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »

finished the shirt (as usual, I sew like a blacksmith making horse-tack, LOL), so I had a little extra time, and figured I'd add a bit of a post.

Meri's actually kind of amused by Wilfred stepping off and taking the lead, but I imagine she's a bit exasperated as well. If he gets attacked by a vamp or something she'll be forced to act. Right at the moment she's banking on the Aces' popularity and the rapport that Wilfred seems to have with some of the locals. Not all of the locals are as friendly as Wilfred's contacts or the chowder girl, though.

I'd imagine not all of the non-pressure bulkheads are intact; some may have been "appropriated" for use in building housing or for other uses. Other makeshift materials would also be in use, I would imagine, everything from wreck-salvaged ship components to purloined and/or scavenged Topside building parts, doors, windows, roofs blown off n storms, discarded oil cans, barrels, etc. Pretty much a Mad Max or Defiance-type cargo culture type of scenario. I'm also thinking that somewhere there's a kind of Main Street  full of people with motor vehicles, rickshaws, polygot this and that all travelling and bustling about. I wonder what they'd use for draft animals, if anything...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:19:02 am by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2015, 10:06:12 pm »

... Not all of the locals are as friendly as Wilfred's contacts ...

Friendly counts as not shooting!
Wilfred dealing are not exactly legal even down here.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2015, 01:24:23 am »

i realy like the idea of the twilight forest trying to keep them and Donna dancing them out using some of the new jazz and proto swing moves she loves.  they would have to make a promise to come back and bring music to dance under the trees again.  Donna and Liam would become like emissaries between them and the upper world.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2015, 04:39:23 am »

Yes, we can finish our time here that way for sure.    First I am having some fun remembering what I can of the Tuatha De Danann

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2015, 05:19:49 am »

Donna is an avid movie goer so most of her knowledge about courtly behaviour comes from Hollywood and books.  So she is going to be extra awkward for a bit.   I think the king will be surprised when she dances with grace and fire. 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #282 on: December 12, 2015, 07:49:23 am »

MNeri doesn't know who the black figures are; neither does Al. The effect of the khukri and the chant is sort of an extrapolation of the bit of folk medicine that I mentioned earlier about how putting a khukri under one's pillow supposedly drives off or prevents nightmares.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2015, 09:38:42 am »

I have an idea that i'm playing but it needs to wait for reactions from the others before taking the next step (the reason for the short posts.)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2015, 05:52:46 pm »

Here come the storm riders to try and drown the station.  I imagine it will take longer for jace's group to know it is there because storms happen often and are not normally anything to worry about. 

Jace is sensitive to the storm in a way that crosses her wires. It is a bit like suddenly having the controls reversed in a video game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:47:40 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #285 on: December 13, 2015, 06:39:37 am »

Al is trying to help Jace get through using his old common-sense approach. He's banking on the "forbidding" spell being tuned to reject anybody using magic or talent when trying to cross over.

I ran across some old Moorcock  novels in my closet a while back; one of the stories that kind of stuck with me was the one where Elric encountered Stormbringer's other-dimensional relatives (other aspects of the Black Blade); Thus, I'm kind of proposing that Soururipa is a (perhaps lesser, but still frighteningly powerful) one of those. probably more than capable of taking out or at least seriously damaging a "ghost" ship. (as I hinted a bit ago, "as above, so below," the fairy king being "above," and the demon smith being "below")

It's not a "bolster sword" like those monstrosities from Final Fantasy, or one of Michael Chthulhu's creations; rather, its one of those ridiculously-long, arc-shaped pre-katana swords that you see sometimes in anime or in old japanese samurai movies, that are taller than a man, and are somewhat erroneously called "cavalry" or "horse" swords. In reality, such a weapon would be nearly impossible to wield in normal katana fashion (they're kind of like how you'd think a curved claymore would act, and yes, I have tried both), but because of what and how strong Meri is, she handles it almost as if it were one of the longer types of wakizashi. May she hunt well with it...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:43:42 am by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #286 on: December 13, 2015, 02:06:19 pm »

Sounds more like a scyth but king Katanna's do exist
Are you thinking of the Naginata?

They can ease the pressure on Jace allowing her to gain control, sorry for running off!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #287 on: December 13, 2015, 03:16:04 pm »

Nope, sword, not a scythe. A sword with historical provenance, whether you've ever heard of it or not.

Also spelled "Tachi." The tachi used by Meri is her foster-father's sword, one of the extremely-long variety, one of which, cited by this article in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi

(not all of which I agree with) being also called a(n) "odachi"; the one in that article is approximatley 3.7 meters long, I believe it says, meaning about 2-point-something meters in bladelength (effectively pretty close to seven feet). It also says that it was probably ceremonial, but I've read hard-copy accounts of other examples that bear marks of repaired battle damage (not to mention many accounts of such swords being shortened to what would be approxiomately katana-length), and at least  one account of one uncut example being carried by a young officer from a prominent family, during the japanese invasion and occupation of Burma.

In short, a truly massively long, curved sword (whether you believe or not that such swords exist or existed, that's what she was using, and what got dragged to hell, reforged by the demon smith* and returned  to Meri's room via hellbourne  - or at least the opposite of 'divine' - teleportation). It's the incredibly long sword that she attacked the Aces with, when they flew against the carrier, and which she threw at the hellhound and was taken down to hell in the hound's belly when it was banished.

The girl kitsune smith-to-be contracted with her patron demon Master of Apprenticeship to have the sword returned form hell as part of her Magical Smith apprenticeship pact, which also bound Meri, by her own free will, to ten years (a decade) of being a supernatural guardian of the Station's denizens, both human and supernatural. we've been through all that.

Casting Meri (or, benevolently "tricking" her into) such a role is part of a rather naive plan by Mariko (the kitsune girl in question), who started out in a scene on the doorstep of the Imperial palace, referring to Meri as a "guardian" for creatures of her sort. Kind of a misguided trust, but ...

So no, I'm not talking about a naginata (yes, I know what a naginata is), or a "King Katana," whatever that is.

Addendum:
As nearly as two of my searches online have been able to determine, a "king katana" is a fantasy sword collector's genre Sword-Shaped Object that can be purchased online, and a purportedly second-rate rapper (I don't really get much out of rap music other than professor elemental - and yes, I do know couple of rappers personally, no, I won't say which ones because I promised not to, and yes, I do consider rap an art and a musical form - I just can't stand most of it)

-------
*presumably, because it was probably broken by the hound's throes when it was removed upon the hound's return to Hell (stands to reason, at least to my mind). I didn't go into all of that because we're not writing a Tolkienesque novel trilogy(lol), or at least it isn't a trilogy yet...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:37:35 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #288 on: December 13, 2015, 04:24:58 pm »

I think Jace may pick up the nickname of sparky by the end of this.  I wanted her to run it to a problem of control but find a way around it useing will and off the wall logic that would make Liam both slightly impressed and nervous.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »

Nope, sword, not a scythe. A sword with historical provenance, whether you've ever heard of it or not.

Also spelled "Tachi." The tachi used by Meri is her foster-father's sword, one of the extremely-long variety, one of which, cited by this article in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi

(not all of which I agree with) being also called a(n) "odachi"; the one in that article is approximatley 3.7 meters long, I believe it says, meaning about 2-point-something meters in bladelength (effectively pretty close to seven feet). It also says that it was probably ceremonial, but I've read hard-copy accounts of other examples that bear marks of repaired battle damage (not to mention many accounts of such swords being shortened to what would be approxiomately katana-length), and at least  one account of one uncut example being carried by a young officer from a prominent family, during the japanese invasion and occupation of Burma.

In short, a truly massively long, curved sword (whether you believe or not that such swords exist or existed, that's what she was using, and what got dragged to hell, reforged by the demon smith* and returned  to Meri's room via hellbourne  - or at least the opposite of 'divine' - teleportation). It's the incredibly long sword that she attacked the Aces with, when they flew against the carrier, and which she threw at the hellhound and was taken down to hell in the hound's belly when it was banished.

The girl kitsune smith-to-be contracted with her patron demon Master of Apprenticeship to have the sword returned form hell as part of her Magical Smith apprenticeship pact, which also bound Meri, by her own free will, to ten years (a decade) of being a supernatural guardian of the Station's denizens, both human and supernatural. we've been through all that.

Casting Meri (or, benevolently "tricking" her into) such a role is part of a rather naive plan by Mariko (the kitsune girl in question), who started out in a scene on the doorstep of the Imperial palace, referring to Meri as a "guardian" for creatures of her sort. Kind of a misguided trust, but ...

So no, I'm not talking about a naginata (yes, I know what a naginata is), or a "King Katana," whatever that is.

Addendum:
As nearly as two of my searches online have been able to determine, a "king katana" is a fantasy sword collector's genre Sword-Shaped Object that can be purchased online, and a purportedly second-rate rapper (I don't really get much out of rap music other than professor elemental - and yes, I do know couple of rappers personally, no, I won't say which ones because I promised not to, and yes, I do consider rap an art and a musical form - I just can't stand most of it)

-------
*presumably, because it was probably broken by the hound's throes when it was removed upon the hound's return to Hell (stands to reason, at least to my mind). I didn't go into all of that because we're not writing a Tolkienesque novel trilogy(lol), or at least it isn't a trilogy yet...

Sorry, King Katana is not a real name. I had forgotten the name and couldn't be bothered to write King Sized Katana
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #290 on: December 14, 2015, 07:36:19 pm »

Ranger read! you just shot down the Blue Fang!
The Vosh are green!
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #291 on: December 14, 2015, 07:39:21 pm »

Sorry!    I DID say he was a little foggy headed....  LOL 

Thanks for the correction.   
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #292 on: December 15, 2015, 03:57:20 am »

Donna may regret those words.  Also Reid I will leave it up to you as to whether the belly problem is food trying to grow or something more important.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2015, 01:09:25 am »

Either Meri saw Second turn around and sever the connection for the attack, or he heard her sending and turned around to see what or who it was (I was remembering what had been suggested earlier, that one thing they were looking for was her, to remove the threat of her existence to their plans), adn locked eyes with her, realizing who she was.

Either way, Meri is convinced that the gate that the greenships came through is or is related to the same one that she fell through when she entered the Duckpond's universe. She calls it "the hole in time," because she thinks she fell through time to either the future of her own world, or the corresponding future  of a parallel world. She wants to believe that she is sending to Morganthe (not the D&D character; I came up with the name* before I knew about that), her sire and mistress - meaning "master," not lover. Dispassionate as she may be, she still misses her home and former companions and superiors. She is a bit distraught that she was not able to get through, and that the enemy was whom she apparently contacted instead.

------------
*I was playing with name spellings and liguistic forms when I came up with the names for my original Steam London characters;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:19:26 pm by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:38 am »

I kind of like the Morganthe name.

As to the Time hole. The tempest has traveled back from 2015 and followed the greens into this hole using there hole. The tempest will be hanging around for a while.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2015, 12:46:27 pm »

Answering a couple of pm's here so we can all have a voice in the discussions.

I like the idea of the future Liam being on the ship, but make him a prisoner.   He was caught trying to get back to this time.    There was a temporal rift and he fractured in to multiple selves.   Thats why the nose bleed, etc.

The crew will have to defeat the enemy and gather the dead Liam, the coma Liam, and older Liam.   Bring them to the coconut grove and the king can heal the rift.

Odds are 50/50 whether Liam will remember anyone, even Donna.

Thoughts?
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2015, 01:43:27 pm »

Answering a couple of pm's here so we can all have a voice in the discussions.

I like the idea of the future Liam being on the ship, but make him a prisoner.   He was caught trying to get back to this time.    There was a temporal rift and he fractured in to multiple selves.   Thats why the nose bleed, etc.

The crew will have to defeat the enemy and gather the dead Liam, the coma Liam, and older Liam.   Bring them to the coconut grove and the king can heal the rift.

Odds are 50/50 whether Liam will remember anyone, even Donna.

Thoughts?

Ouu now thats an interesting idea but there is nothing to say that there are not 2 liams on the ship?
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #297 on: December 16, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »

Jace is feeling a bit down because she thinks she is responsible for what happened to Liam and she failed her good friend Donna again and set her up for heart brake.

Donna may be pregnant with Liam's child if he doesn't remember her that could bring about some interesting story parts.

This is what I think is happening in a grand scope. The whole island chain that the duck pond is a part of was ment to be a sanctuary for supernatural creatures but most of it has been forgotten or written off as silliness like the coconut worshippers. This was partially intentional to keep the islands safe but now the order knows the truth and they have taken over some of the surrounding islands tapping in to their power in order to change history to the events they wish to see happen.  The duck pond has a lot of power underneath it but very few people would even be able to sense it any more until Liam and Donna woke it from it's long sleep.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2015, 05:59:01 pm »

Preliminary Details.

Built in 2010, the Æther Tempest is the second ship to bar the name. Recent advances in 2014 have resulted is a massive overhaul of her inter-dimensional transfer technology and weapons making her the most advanced Battle Airship to sail the skys. Flagship of Highlord Alison DuBlade, a Half Human, Half Elven borne in 1850 on alliance world 002. Recent crew changes include an arcotectnologist and physchic Liam Johnes (borne on Alliance world 003) and an attachments from the Lycanthroupe and Draconian companies.
Armed with multiple conventional and Ætheric weapons.

Current mission is to follow up leads of the missing prototype mark XXX spitfire (project Blue Fang) that was reported stolen in 1950 by Wilfried Oliver Lewis Ferdanand.

The Æther Tempest and Highlord AlisonDuBlade are copyright and on loan from the Diaries of James Purcell written by James Purcell.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #299 on: December 16, 2015, 06:21:43 pm »

Hmmm...

Now I'm tempted to bring the St. Elmo into this (LOL)...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:21:03 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: