The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:54:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ace Of The Duck Pond an alternate history deaslpunkish game occ and start up  (Read 8587 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #225 on: December 01, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »

And my phone eat half of my reply.  Oh well I think this bit is  better any way. I don't know exactly what the pilot has to say other than the order being after her.  I was hoping the rest of you can add on what ever you add what you think would be neat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:27:02 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2015, 07:24:07 am »

Al Knows a couple of Manchurian dialects, passable Portuguese, fluent Spanish (both from his days in the South American goldfields), enough French to get himself into some really hot water, and several Polynesian-based polyglots. He also has a smattering of very basic Russian "Berlitz phrasebook" style sayings ("good morning," etc., but nothing of much practical use), so is not really qualified to translate.

Meri would of course be extremely fluent and comfortable in Russian, considering her background (a word of fair warning, however, I in RL  understand a rather useless bit of Russian and can pronounce it like a Boss, but forget about me knowing what in the blue blazes I'm actually saying beyond the few phrases I've picked up from cossack movies and such (fictionalized military history, you might say)). Still, in terms of the Game universe, Meri speaks  the lingo like a native.

However:  In terms of the passage of time in the game, While Jace and company are attempting to initiate relations with the young lady, Meri would still be extracting her coughcoughcough"fee"cough *ahem* for helping with the China Clipper, from the young Scarab guardsman in his room in the boarding house.

I'm thus unsure if she will plausibly be able to help unless she just kind of saunters in a bit later on...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:28:37 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »

I think that we might be able to figure out roughly what she means to say but there will be things that don't translate well. 

Sort of sad today.  The woman I loved very much and made my wife is leaving me.  Things will be hectic for a while while I deal with this but I will still be gaming whenever I can.  I love this story and am having a lot of fun playing with you all.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2015, 04:45:26 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that. I know all too well how that feels.

Well maybe Al shoukd step forth and make an utter fool of himself (   Cheesy )
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2015, 06:55:39 pm »

I've just brought one of my dogs back from the vets, suspected "C" of the lymphnodes.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2015, 07:57:35 pm »

I've just brought one of my dogs back from the vets, suspected "C" of the lymphnodes.

Yikes! Sorry to hear about that as well!
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2015, 12:56:03 am »

I am all sympathy for both of you.   Heartache is hard especially at the holidays.   

Warm thoughts and best wishes from me.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2015, 01:48:03 am »

Translated more or less roughly into Ukranian by Babelfish (www.babelfish.com). I've probably broken it up into the wrong sentence parts to form Al's broken parts of speech, but it should give a good idea of just how poor his russian (what little there is of it) actually is.

Um, Please note that although Ukraine has long been associated with Russia, that does not necessarily mean that Russian and Ukranian are the same language.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2015, 03:32:27 am »

Thanks for the condolences. I am doing alright.  I love tails of baba yaga I thought it would be fitting for the Russian magic to reflect it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2015, 03:06:18 pm »

Big diabetes doctor's appt. today, and lots of drama getting ready for it, due to sugar issues amd the aforementioned insurance malarky, so I may be out of it for a day or three. Sorry about that.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2015, 05:47:17 pm »

Or, since there's yet another musical performance tonight, it looks like I might be able to get on tonight after the show. (politics are weird in this family).
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2015, 06:13:46 pm »

Looks like everyone is having a bad time of it.
Don't let things get you down, keep a stiff upper lip.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2015, 06:25:13 pm »

If my lip were any stiffer it'd be aerodynamic! Cheesy
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2015, 08:50:28 pm »

If my lip were any stiffer it'd be aerodynamic! Cheesy
I've got cramp in mine!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2015, 10:12:36 pm »

Good news, relatively. My A1C is 'way back down to nearly acceptable level, and insulin dose correspondingly reduced. Have to wait another month for surgery until numbers get still lower, but overall I'm in good and improving shape. We're hoping the cardiologist and nephrologist agree ...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:33 am »

That is good news (I hope)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2015, 08:21:03 am »

It's both not-good, and good at the same time; not-good, in that I still have to work on my sugar and wait to get a dead, shattered and and useless root canal tooth extracted (it's not painful, merely awkward when eating, etc., and my dentist says it needs to come out regardless for whatever reason), and yet good, because it means that I'm getting better.

I think Al might try to talk to the young lady again. He'll likely be worried about making Jace jealous, though. . .
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2015, 04:59:00 am »

Meri's just a little overconfident in her ability to heal herself...

I'm sorry if I overstepped a bit on the Vosh thing; it just seems to me that she would have encountered such a thing, assuming a shorter rather than longer period of power buildup for the Order, assuming they came from the future - if that's their origin; if not, then consider it a coincidence of invention betwwen different planes (pun intended. Hey, put that tomato down...)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2015, 11:37:44 am »

Random distraction
Russischer Sternmotor - Russian Radial Engine Start and Run

This on the Vosh!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2015, 03:07:12 am »

Wilfred was earlier shown to be fixing a ray gun for a client.

Working on the assumption that for such a market for energy weapon repair to exist, such weapons would have to be at least slightly commonplace, It seemed obvious that Meri would know of such things even if they were something that people tended to try and keep secret, due to her connections with both the underworld and the Scarabs who regulate that part of the station's society. I haven't yet decided if she knows that the new repairman in town is Wilfred; she probably just knows (for right now) the general location of the operation and whether or not it accepts certain kinds of cases.

She's trying to let Liam know how she knows about him in order to set hus mind at rest; there's probably an element of flirtatious teasing in there as well, but it's not really serious; she knows (again, by sense of smell among other things) who he belongs to and what they *ahem* have been doing, the same as Liam can probably smell fainltly on her (even with his comparatively "normal" senses) what Meri's been up to.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2015, 09:17:33 am »

Wilfred is self taught in the techno archaic but not only repairs, he can also build new items (he doesn't always steal)
a few points of note
He is way older then he looks,
This isn't his world,
He is a wanted man,
He knows more then he is willing to let on.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #246 on: December 06, 2015, 03:44:53 pm »

OOPs, looks like Meri struck a nerve...

She's just a character, and I'm just a writer, Reid. There is nothing more than that.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #247 on: December 06, 2015, 04:28:09 pm »

No not at all   LOL   I found the idea of her flirting with a hunter to be funny considering she is undead.  LOL.  No worries.   If I get offended I will tell you plainly dont worry.  Smiley
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #248 on: December 06, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »

There was actually a German cult that worshipped nudity and coconuts I was just reading about and I could not resist useing it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #249 on: December 06, 2015, 05:29:45 pm »

Wilfred is self taught in the techno archaic but not only repairs, he can also build new items (he doesn't always steal)
a few points of note
He is way older then he looks,
This isn't his world,
He is a wanted man,
He knows more then he is willing to let on.

Pardon my Characterization Expedition (lol)...
It could be that Meri's projectile-comment (LOL) in Liam's general direction was an attempt to find out if he is the "new guy" who has been fixing the energy weapons on the Station. That was one of several ideas in the back of my head when I wrote that entry. She may suspect that it's Wilfred, but if I'm not mistaken, Wilfred is not in the Aces' hangar at the moment, thus she couldn't direct it at him. She could allude to her suspicion, but since it's a suspicion rather than a known fact, she would be made to look idiotic if she made them check him out and it turned out she was wrong.  The others then might not listen to her when it counted, So in order to keep her allies, she'll try to keep that from happening and to ingratiate herself with them (Pragmatic to the end, our Meri).

As for the other things, She's probably sensed most of it, but it's not really that simple; for example, the bit about knowing more than he's telling is something involving, to my mind, what a lie smells like. That, Perrin Aybarra of the Wheel of Time series notwithstanding, is actually horrifically complicated.

Edited to alleviate those incredibly LOOOONG sentences...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:32:38 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: