The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 12:39:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question:  Shangri - La  :  what does it mean to you   [ and yes its steampunk ]
Oriental  Paradise - 4 (20%)
Arabian Oasis - 0 (0%)
Buddhst Sanctuary - 9 (45%)
Tea Rooms - 0 (0%)
Take Away  restaurant - 1 (5%)
Tiki Bar - 1 (5%)
Bath house - 0 (0%)
Bordello - 1 (5%)
other - 4 (20%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shangri - La : what picture does it conjure up for you?  (Read 1455 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: October 23, 2015, 09:39:03 am »

A word popped out at me today that encapsulated and epitomised a few ideas  that have been revolving and evolving in my head

SHANGRI - LA

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:11:33 am »

Pandas and pack leaders. Besides that, something like Bhutan but with fewer dick drawings.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 10:45:27 am »

Hmm there is nothing pretty or serene about such  artwork Wink

Pagoda , ferns and some water falls would be more picturesque - even if merely a mural on a bath house wall
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »

The Ancient Kingdom Of Rama.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 01:30:12 pm »

Where is that? I didn't find anything about it.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:49:25 pm »

If the question is "what do I picture when someone talks about it?"   I answered the poll correctly  Buddhist sanctuary 

But if you are asking what my personal dream of such a place would be.........   it would have to be a mixture.   I was the serenity of reflection pools and waterfalls.  I also want the isolation of high elevation Tibet.    But a little brothel thrown in would truly help it achieve "paradise" for me.   I am just not so far towards Buddha spirit that I am ready to leave the fleshly pleasures behind.

I could probably become a member of the Jade court though......    They DID have a drunk or two, so some minor character flaws seem to be acceptable......

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:37:43 pm »

You're right, we'll make our own buddhist sanctuary but with blackjack and hookers. In fact forget the buddhism!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:39:04 pm »

Lost Horizon (1973) was one of the first half-dozen or so movies I ever saw, so it has most strongly informed my image of Shangri La as a hidden Buddhist retreat.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:46:43 pm »

You're right, we'll make our own buddhist sanctuary but with blackjack and hookers. In fact forget the buddhism!

No, keep the Buddhism.  Otherwise the 'employees' will want to be paid......
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 06:57:22 pm »

I am thoroughly enjoying all the answers - on both  the  spiritual  and more earthly planes.

For me,  I also envisioned it's various forms. An Asiatic citidel,  a wild  jungle scene and  a Shangri la  ballroom our parents may have done their "courting" at.

[ and the more unruly burlesque club that bachelor's may have attended ]

Blame it on the bossa nova

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »

Take a look BBC/PBS's documentary "Shangri La"  with Michael Wood.  It's associated with the book "in search of myths and heroes"

There's also another PBS documentary:

Shangri-La ◦ Lost Treasures of Tibet ◦ Complete PBS Documentary

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:26:49 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 07:33:55 pm »

Which brings me to the next question:

What is the look of a Steampunk Buddhist monk? [mod hat] and keeping this discussion as non religious as possible, this is  still an interesting question [/mod hat]

I know brass is welcome as gold/yellow and red are meaningful colours. How about that prayer staff?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 07:45:35 pm »

Something along these lines? This is a woman named Sarah Hans:

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 10:48:59 pm »

Where is that? I didn't find anything about it.

Sorry, lack of time forbiden me to elaborate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rama
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 10:53:59 pm »

What is the look of a Steampunk Buddhist monk? [mod hat] and keeping this discussion as non religious as possible, this is  still an interesting question [/mod hat]

I know brass is welcome as gold/yellow and red are meaningful colours. How about that prayer staff?

that is  posing quite an irreligious question.

definitely a lot of brass and brocade  in their regalia
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 11:06:19 pm »

I see the monastery machinery being powered by geothermal steam engines.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 11:26:20 pm »

Shangri - La,  Mustang  and Shambhala -  n its not a tiki style strip club    from the  early 70s

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091117-shangri-la-secrets-tibet-treasures-caves.html

PBS PREVIEWS | Secrets of Shangri-La
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 01:05:46 am »

My Dears,
The weapon of choice for the monks who formed the Dalai Lama's bodyguard (the "Dob-Dobs") was an iron pen case, and possibly a huge, heavy monastery key. Rudyard Kipling had a pen case that was supposed to have been given to his father by a lama at the Lahore Museum, the original described in 'Kim.'
Do read 'Lost Horizon.' It's still a thrill. The valley below the monastery had wine, women and song for you guys. I like the fact that Conway jumped ship in Honolulu when his memory came back - so, just down the road from us!
C.W.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:12:24 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 01:08:46 am »

Vimana:
http://www.crystalinks.com/vimanaflying.jpg
http://pioum.chez.com/conspirations/vimana1.jpg

Brahmastra:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmastra

Ohm as a control interface.

Prayer wheel as a powersource.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:21:50 am by chicar » Logged
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 04:57:55 am »

According to president FDR, Shangri-La is where the bombers that hit Tokyo in '42 (or what he told the reporters) flew off from. True Story.

Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 07:02:20 pm »

Shangri - La
What picture does it conjure up for me:

Its a place inside my head:

Peace where there is noise (often used at work)
Space where there is constriction (Used occasionally underground - "Nice rock, NICE rock, stay where you are!")
Plenty where there is famine (Empty fridge syndrome)
Calm where there is chaos (Countryboi in Huuuggee City)
Conversation where there is silence (lone car trips)
Squillions where there is only pence.....(need I say more?)
Friendship when faced with Hat0rz! (we've all been here)

To retreat into my own Shangri -La is a way of dealing with the world around me, a place of opposites to the continual grind of humanity.
If I had to put a pin on the map as to where Shangri -La truly exists I'd probably choose some remote abbey in the high Himalayas, those Buddhist Monks are SERIOUSLY tuned into the cozmoz, My place in the ranking - "Brother Sweeper" 

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 12:48:55 am »

Many years ago, I wrote a short article about the Men in Black; this was before the movies. It was a rushed article for a commercial web site, and was mostly a compilation of information I found on the early World Wide Web. Here is a section of the article:

According to John Keel, the MIB often state that they are representatives of the "Nation of the Third Eye."

George Hunt Williamson (an early MIB contact) in his book Other Tongues, Other Flesh, states that secret societies allied with Sirius use the Eye of Horus as an insignia. This symbol has also been seen on the MIB. The secret societies believe that there is a Great White Lodge on earth. They call it Shamballa -- and consider it to be the spiritual center of the world. Theosophists such as Alice Bailey say that the Great White Lodge is on Sirius. This is confirmed by Stephen Jenkins, author of the book The Undiscovered Country, who was told by Buddhist priests that Shamballa was located in the constellation of Orion. If the All-Seeing-Eye is a symbol of Sirius' earth-allies and the MIB wear that symbol, and if Shamballa represents the Great White Lodge on earth -- then the MIB are emissaries of Shamballa.

The entrance to Shamballa on earth is usually placed in the trans- Himalayan region. Some assert it is in the heart of the Gobi Desert (where there have been allegations of crashed disks and bases). According to the explorer Nicholas Roerich, there are caves in the Himalayan foothills that have subterranean passages. In one of the these passages, there is a stone door that has never been opened, because the time for its opening has not yet arrived. In 1930, Morris Doreal founded the Brotherhood of the White Temple. He says that the entrance to Shamballa is far underground. he goes on to say that space bends around Shamballa, and that there is a gateway which leads into another universe.

If you want to read the entire article, just copy a section of text and drop it into Google; the original web site is gone but unauthorized copies still exist in several places on the web.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 10:32:05 am »

Recently I finished Far Cry 4, for those of you not in the know it's a hunty/survivally game where you are dumped in the Himalayas with a knife and have to survive, grow, and eventually overthrow the dictatorship.

There are sections in the game, my favourite parts, where you have to collect tapestries, each of which sends you on a vision quest to tell the story of Shangri-La. There are 5 parts in total, and they're beautiful. Look it up if you don't know of it, it's really something. Not steampunk in the slightest, I'm afraid, but gorgeous.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 04:03:53 am »

Recently I finished Far Cry 4, for those of you not in the know it's a hunty/survivally game where you are dumped in the Himalayas with a knife and have to survive, grow, and eventually overthrow the dictatorship.

There are sections in the game, my favourite parts, where you have to collect tapestries, each of which sends you on a vision quest to tell the story of Shangri-La. There are 5 parts in total, and they're beautiful. Look it up if you don't know of it, it's really something. Not steampunk in the slightest, I'm afraid, but gorgeous.
~Longeye~

that google image search brought up some beautiful images
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 01:45:16 pm »

Shangri-La.
The only picture it conjures for me is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaGlW-gy4SM

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: