The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 11:18:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone willing to help?  (Read 756 times)
blongford
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 17, 2015, 01:26:51 pm »

Hi to all fellow adventurers,

I'm here to seek knowledge and, if anyone is willing, some help. Allow me to introduce myself though. My name is Brian Longford, at least that is the name I choose to write under, and live on Merseyside with my wife, children, dog, and ferrets. I've been off work for seven years now because of work related stress, I'd rather be in work but the power that is says "No, you can't, unless you want more of the same?" So, I've turned my hand to writing, taking themes that fascinate me and forming a story from them. My book has been out for a week or so now, sales are slow - which doesn't surprise me - which means I'm not receiving any reviews. If anyone is willing to help by reviewing my book for me please get in touch by responding here. I am happy to supply the first five volunteers with a free copy in either epub, pdf, or mobi format. All I ask is that you read the book and give me your honest opinion. Book details are below, available from Amazon, Smashwords, and most decent ebook stores. A print version is also available.

Alerted by his knowledge of careless inventors leaving time-doors open, Edward Fallion goes to work for Dr. Kay of Harley Street expecting trouble and finds it. Fires, lies, murder, and visitors from a parallel time-stream cause mayhem and confusion as Fallion, tries to uncover who is responsible and stop them. A steampunk era where anything can and does sometimes happen.

Amazon Link bit.ly/1MkGCCL
Smashwords Link http://bit.ly/1PvKQgb

Thank you.
Brian Longford

Note to Moderators: If I am breaking the forum rule, please accept my apologies.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »

As far as I know you're not breaking any rules...don't take my word on that though.

Sounds very interesting. I'll buy it (I don't want to take a free copy, feels like I'm cutting into your income) as soon as I get some more money, spent all this month's disposable income on ComicCon preparations! Will be sure to review it afterwards.

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
blongford
Swab

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 06:00:49 pm »

Thank you, Major.

I'm quite happy for you to have a free copy, please don't worry about my income as I'd rather learn and improve at present. Just let me know what format you prefer and an email address and I will send you a copy, with my thanks. If you find time to leave a few words for me I would be grateful, good, bad, or indifferent. I'll learn from your feedback, which you can leave on here - I will not use it anywhere else as it is for my benefit rather than sales. There's no catch, and no follow up pitch from me. Your email address will be forgotten once I've sent you the book. I'm genuine, Major, and I thank you for your kind words and interest.

Sincerely,
Brian Longford.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:11:02 pm »

well this sounds interesting Cheesy
after what the Major said I feel a bit bad about asking for a free version...
:/
well, I can offer my opinion in return...right?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
blongford
Swab

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:07:33 pm »

Yep, you can if you wish, Caledonian. And you are welcome to a copy. PM me your email address and the format you'd like. I have .pdf, .mobi and .epub.

Thanks,
Brian
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »

don't thank me, I'm happy to read your book.

thank /you/

PS: send you a PM
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:59:34 pm by Caledonian » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:49:04 pm »

Please PM for contact details.

(Far warning:  I've still got another member's work to read and review ahead of yours.)
blongford
Swab

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 10:38:01 pm »

PM sent.

With thanks,
Brian
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:55:31 am »

I finished your book last night, which was a good thing as it was keeping me awake.
It's a real curveball and I really like how unpredictable it is. it's hard to put that book away.
a downside of this is that the reader is left confused as to what just happened now and then, sitting there (or in my case laying) wondering what, how and why something happened.
interesting naming on characters, and I love how the world you describes seems to come to live. sometimes, though, I feel like you're repeating yourself. I believe 3 people 'followed the smell of the river' but after the first we already knew that people could find the Thames by smell alone.
And sometimes I felt that certain periods and commas were missing, but that could just be me.

all in all I think this book is great, recommended 3 of my friends already, and I want to read more of your work.
blongford
Swab

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »

Thank you, Caledonian,

Your comments are really valuable to me as from your feedback I will learn and grow. I'm glad that, despite its shortcomings, you enjoyed it. That made my day. Thank you.

Best wishes
Brian

PS Anyone else interested? I have four more electronic copies, yours for the asking.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 05:57:25 pm »

Got your PM, and replied. Looking forward to reading your work.
Immen Augustus Guell
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 01:43:50 am »

Voluntering if you have the time, Caledonian's review got me interested, and I may well enjoy it as well as review it for you.

If you are still looking for reviewers, (and recomenders,) PM me for my email. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: