The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 02:13:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Names For Steampunk Nations  (Read 966 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: October 17, 2015, 02:32:30 am »

A Nation Based Companions To My '' Cool Names For Steampunk Cities'' thread.

St-Heam Island

The Empire Of Saxe

Albia

Frank Repuplic

The Kingdom Of The Great Zimbadwe

Repuplique Du Bas-Canada

Province Unie D'Acadie

Repuplic Of Texas

Northmendy

The Mexica Empire

The Confederacy Of Free Turtle Island

New Ahuatl/ New Atlantis

The Nepalese Empire

The Repuplic Of Mongolia

The Human Clockwork

Kingdom Of Champagne

Some stolen from pop culture: Lunar Repuplic, Solar Repuplic, Syldavia, Borduria,Riboflavia, Palombia, Yalba, Costa Luna

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:18:02 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:59:40 am »

as a child  I always felt" New Zealand" was a cop out . It was named after somewhere else at the other end of the world; some where that was sinking under the sea.

As someone once pointed out  - it sounds like a toothpaste brand

It is a commonwealth country   but could  look good  with the title republique of   [ ] . Though  it would  probably get   de  banane  on the end

Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:35:10 am »

I like the name Kennaquhair.

From Wikipedia:
Kennaquhair (literally, "know-not-where" in Scots) is an imaginary locality in Walter Scott's novels The Monastery and The Abbot. In T. H. White's The Sword in the Stone, Kennaquhair is the land of Athene, mother-goddess of the owls, and is located at the doubly impossible co-ordinates of 91 degrees north and 181 degrees west.

I think it has a bit of a Steampunk ring to it.

Athanor

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 10:01:54 am »

as a child  I always felt" New Zealand" was a cop out . It was named after somewhere else at the other end of the world; some where that was sinking under the sea.

As someone once pointed out  - it sounds like a toothpaste brand

It is a commonwealth country   but could  look good  with the title republique of   [ ] . Though  it would  probably get   de  banane  on the end

New Zealand was named after the dutch provence of Zeeland....so yes, that's pretty much sinking into the sea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as for nation names, I've before used Domada, from Doma -> home.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:03:30 am by Caledonian » Logged

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 03:04:56 pm »

as a child  I always felt" New Zealand" was a cop out . It was named after somewhere else at the other end of the world; some where that was sinking under the sea.

As someone once pointed out  - it sounds like a toothpaste brand

It is a commonwealth country   but could  look good  with the title republique of   [ ] . Though  it would  probably get   de  banane  on the end

New Zealand was named after the dutch provence of Zeeland....so yes, that's pretty much sinking into the sea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as for nation names, I've before used Domada, from Doma -> home.

Yes we have Able Janszoon Tasman to blame for our name.   We could have all been speaking Dutch  had he been quicker off the mark.

[not that there would be anything wrong with that. I went to school with   quite a few Dutch immigre` children]

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »

my childhood best friend was born in New Zealand...and moved back after I knew them for a few years >.>
I still miss him sometimes, even if I haven't spoken to him for years... His mom told he's got his own successful farmland now.

also, dutch lesson

Zee means Sea
Land means land/country

19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 12:29:42 pm »

So, what about New Sealand, founded on a disused sea fort somewhere in the southern hemisphere?

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »

So, what about New Sealand, founded on a disused sea fort somewhere in the southern hemisphere?

I like that!
reminds me of
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 10:16:09 am »

I like that!
reminds me of

we do have  abandoned  sea forts of the coast of New Zealand and  in the Pacific  - remnants of   of the last wars to end all wars
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 11:42:18 am »

the country of Sealand is a sea fort thaat stands just out of the british terretorial waters, when the gouvernment was confronted with that, they claimed the fort wasn't theirs, and it became offical nomansland.
only at that moment 5 people were living/working on the fort. one of them declared himself king of sealand and ever since it's been a 'Nation'.
the official currency is the Sealand Dollar, it also has a national flag

the prince of sealand wants to get rid of the nation and has tried selling it on ebay. seemingly it is still possible to buy parts of the country and become an 'earl of Sealand'

there are more 'micronations' like this, for example: KugelMugel, a globe shaped artists home standing in Vienna. the artist declared independicy to the austrian state, made a flag, currency and anthem and sells visas to the people that want to come in to look.

and, don't be sad australians, down under has a teeny tiny nation too!
the principarty of Hutt River.
they make their own stamps, which are popular with stamp collectors, a passport costs 250 HRD and is sold to everyone that's interested. sadly, the european union will not allow you in with your Hutt River Passport and calls it a 'fantasy passport' the australian state doesn't recognise Hutt River as a souvereign state, but Ivory Coast does. YOU CAN GET INTO IVORY COAST WITH A HUTT RIVER PASSPORT.
The principality had plans to start a university in its territory, but it's illegal to just build universities on australian land. discussion continues.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:27:57 pm by Caledonian » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 12:45:22 am »

the country of Sealand is a sea fort thaat stands just out of the british terretorial waters, when the gouvernment was confronted with that, they claimed the fort wasn't theirs, and it became offical nomansland.
only at that moment 5 people were living/working on the fort. one of them declared himself king of sealand and ever since it's been a 'Nation'.
the official currency is the Sealand Dollar, it also has a national flag

the prince of sealand wants to get rid of the nation and has tried selling it on ebay. seemingly it is still possible to buy parts of the country and become an 'earl of Sealand'

there are more 'micronations' like this, for example: KugelMugel, a globe shaped artists home standing in Vienna. the artist declared independicy to the austrian state, made a flag, currency and anthem and sells visas to the people that want to come in to look.

and, don't be sad australians, down under has a teeny tiny nation too!
the principarty of Hutt River.
they make their own stamps, which are popular with stamp collectors, a passport costs 250 HRD and is sold to everyone that's interested. sadly, the european union will not allow you in with your Hutt River Passport and calls it a 'fantasy passport' the australian state doesn't recognise Hutt River as a souvereign state, but Ivory Coast does. YOU CAN GET INTO IVORY COAST WITH A HUTT RIVER PASSPORT.
The principality had plans to start a university in its territory, but it's illegal to just build universities on australian land. discussion continues.

Recently  there has been a Liberland thread on  Brass goggles.  They also have a facebook page. They are a small area of  unclaimed land on the map between Serbia and Croatia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland

Between Sudan and Egypt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bir_Tawil

There will be others out there
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: