The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 10:52:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Smoking Cap Project  (Read 2934 times)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2016, 04:11:09 pm »

Oh I'm very sure they are! It's very expensive to heat my home in the winter, so it's very likely that I will be using mine quite a bit, as well.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 11:24:01 am »

I'll have to make one for my husband - I've been threatening to make him a nightcap for years!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2016, 01:42:06 pm »

I was sorting through the stash of embroidery thread acquired at Vinnies last week, and think I can say that some of it was from my missing embroidery box!
I had wound most of the thread on those little cards, and written the appropriate number on each, and I am damnned sure many of the cards had my handwriting on them - so, sometime in the last couple of years someone I know has looted my home whilst a guest. That is so disappointing. Undecided

On a brighter note, I have ordered more thread and some embroideries to work - perhaps I will chain the new box to something heavy!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2016, 08:26:26 pm »

That is not nice.  Booby trap the new box, (indelible ink in a certain place perhaps?) then at least you'll know who not to trust or invite back.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2016, 09:33:33 pm »

Oh how disgusting of someone.  To take from your host.  Can you get in contact with the person you bought the threads from to find out where they got them?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2016, 11:54:12 am »

I got the threads from a St Vincent De Paul charity shop, known down under as a Vinnie's op shop. (the 'op' is short for opportunity) Most stuff is brought in anonymously, and may not even be sold by the shop to which it was donated. I have a possible candidate but do not intend to do anything about it, as I lack certainty and would hate to make a false accusation. I no longer see that person.

The betrayal of trust is what hurts.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 04:42:47 am »

I have an update! I finally got my embroidery patterns printed off, so I should be able to start the embroidery soon!
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 08:24:27 am »

just back to the "brocade" for a moment...  Brocade is made on a jacquard loom and has a woven-in pattern.  Maybe it's just the photo, or my computer, or my eyesight, but your green fabric, while lovely, seems to be unpatterned.  I would have thought it a satin weave instead.   Your information source at the fabric store might not be as reliable as you hope.

On second thought, that's what brocade is in the U.S.  Maybe it's different in other places; if so, please excuse my intrusion.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2016, 11:48:33 am »

I have an update! I finally got my embroidery patterns printed off, so I should be able to start the embroidery soon!

Hurray!
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 04:25:28 am »

just back to the "brocade" for a moment...  Brocade is made on a jacquard loom and has a woven-in pattern.  Maybe it's just the photo, or my computer, or my eyesight, but your green fabric, while lovely, seems to be unpatterned.  I would have thought it a satin weave instead.   Your information source at the fabric store might not be as reliable as you hope.

On second thought, that's what brocade is in the U.S.  Maybe it's different in other places; if so, please excuse my intrusion.

Let me double-check the piece for a moment, because I know the material *has* the woven-in pattern. I will be able to tell you if it's the photo or not. Smiley
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 04:28:05 am »

Okay, so I have it here with me, and lo and behold, it's not *actually* brocade! It was in with other fabrics which certainly do fit the definition for brocade, so I probably assumed that it was brocade as well! Good eye! That being said, it isn't really something that is a big deal to me, I guess, so I didn't pay super close attention to it
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2016, 05:40:56 pm »

I'm a total textile junkie, can't help myself!
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2016, 05:54:39 pm »

lol Not a problem. You helped fix my understanding of what "brocade" is, so it's no harm no foul Cheesy
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2016, 10:09:46 am »

Started embroidery this evening. Should look good when it's done, I think.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2016, 11:15:32 am »

It's always great to see the design come alive as one adds more stitches.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2016, 07:50:41 pm »

It really is.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2016, 02:55:42 am »

I am taking my great grandfather's velvet smoking cap to Ireland with me next Saturday - the relations would like to see it. It is green velvet with embroidery. The inside lining is a little worn in spots and I think the padding has seen better days, but it is still wearable. When I bring it home I think I will tack in some new lining so it can be worn.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2016, 05:18:47 am »

Sorry not much has been posted here for a while. I am going to take pictures of the embroidery that's been done so far shortly.

Part of the design was found on Propnomicon's blog. Smiley I think you guys will like it.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2016, 05:32:37 am »

So here's the most recent embroidery work done on the smoking cap.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2016, 02:30:39 pm »

Nice to see the designed embroidery getting started.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2016, 02:56:41 pm »

I'm hoping to get some more of it done this weekend.  Life has been super hectic.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: