The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 11:56:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carmilla (1970 & 1989)  (Read 421 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: October 11, 2015, 02:11:06 pm »

Two film versions of Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's 1872 vampire tale (yes, I know there are many, many other adaptations, but these are the two with which I am most familiar; and by "most familiar", I mean "have actually seen prior to the advent of YouTube"). It is worth mentioning that Carmilla predated Dracula by twenty-six years, and clearly influenced the famous deleted "first" chapter of the latter, since published as "Dracula's Guest".

The first is perhaps the most famous version, Hammer's 1970 The Vampire Lovers. Now, before you view this one, be aware that there are parts which are NSFW, as this film made generous use of the Hammer "bloodshed and bosoms" formula of the era.

The Vampire Lovers 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrlJ9Ejeulk

The second is a less-well known production, a 1989 episode of Shelly Duvall's Nightmare Classics series for Showtime. Despite changing the setting from Styria to the American South, it is fairly faithful to the novella (I'd say more so than The Vampire Lovers, but make up your own mind) and contains some genuinely chilling moments.

Carmilla (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcHhpf4oNk
Dr. Nikola
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:23:13 pm »

Thank you, GCCC, especially for the second version, which I had never heard of.  I love The Vampire Lovers and it's full of true Hammer glamour with Ingrid Pitt, Kate O'Mara, et al.  On the DVD, Ingrid reads selections from the novel, which I always found more enjoyable than Dracula.
I was puzzled however by her reported insistence that she saw no lesbian aspects to the story!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 04:31:26 pm »

I had that ''Nightmare Classics: Carmilla'' (1989) on VHS.
I converted it to DVDr to keep and sold the VHS, along with the vast majority of my 'vampire' collection, to a Goth friend some years ago.
Now I find that my current player doesn't like the discs I burned on my old Phillips recorder.
Typical.

But it is the best version.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:51:29 pm »

I had that ''Nightmare Classics: Carmilla'' (1989) on VHS.
I converted it to DVDr to keep and sold the VHS, along with the vast majority of my 'vampire' collection, to a Goth friend some years ago.
Now I find that my current player doesn't like the discs I burned on my old Phillips recorder.
Typical.

But it is the best version.

That is a familiar annoyance. Do you have a computer it might be read on? If so, maybe use the computer to read off the files and re-burn a new disk? Or, if your player can read usb sticks, convert it to say mpeg format and play from memory stick?

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: