The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:24:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthship: Do Hobbitton Is The Future Of Urbanism ?  (Read 1396 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: October 10, 2015, 01:15:24 am »

Whiles the subject of earthship have been discused before, never it came in the mind of anyone than the idea of future town possibly being composed of tolkienesque buildings is excitingly steamy (well, Art Nouveau at the very least).

http://earthship.com/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:18:51 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »

I'm not sure if hobbiton style buildings would work so well. You might have big problems with moisture seeping into the structure. You could perhaps attempt to cover the structure in some form of non-permeable membrane, though that might end up rotting away. Then you have the added weight of the soil, putting a strain on the structure. I'm not sure if the soil might not also take away a lot of the heat, when trying to heat the house in the winter.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:30:36 pm »

The technology has been developing for a long time; I think I first saw an article on earth-sheltered housing in Mother Earth News in the early 70s.

But what this has to do with Steampunk I don't know; you can build almost any style of building with a Steampunk aesthetic.  Earthships are notoriously wasteful of space, which is at a premium in an urban environment as well - it is difficult to go more than one story underground, whereas townhouses commonly go three or even four stories.

Cheers!

Chas.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:33:15 pm by Captain Lyerly » Logged

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:59:34 pm »

"But what this has to do with Steampunk I don't know"

Well....

1- i saw many design with a Art Nouveau / Spanish Modernism feel to it.

2- it is maybe just me seeing thing throught a paganistic lens.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 06:35:30 pm »

Earthships, fooking BRAW idea make 'em look like YOU want! - not what "Society" demands, C'mon they've only been around for about 50 years or so, WE've yet to put a "Steampunk" bent on one!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 06:38:55 pm »

I think it tends to be more a matter of what cost and structural engineering demands.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 06:47:54 pm »

I have some relief that other folk are not of the belief that  New Zealand isn't one extended Hobbiton -despite the tourism promotions

That said N Z  does have ideal conditions to build Earthship.  There are a growing number construction sprouting up. Mud, small glass bottles, cans , hectares of bare land,  hippies and long hours of sunlight.

Earthship buildings do have a whimsical quality and perhaps enough contraptions to make them steampunk.

I do believe that housing construction will take a different form in the near  future. Consider the survival shelter designed for post disaster living and the dome shaped forms.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 06:57:55 pm »

Here is a steampunk take on earthship homes

http://annetteconroy.blogspot.co.nz/2013_07_01_archive.html?m=1
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:20:52 pm »

I'm not sure if hobbiton style buildings would work so well. You might have big problems with moisture seeping into the structure. You could perhaps attempt to cover the structure in some form of non-permeable membrane, though that might end up rotting away. Then you have the added weight of the soil, putting a strain on the structure. I'm not sure if the soil might not also take away a lot of the heat, when trying to heat the house in the winter.

I assume one could use the same moisture-infiltration control techniques one uses in conventional construction - in that respect, you simply have a finished basement without a house on top. I'm not a structural engineer, but my impression is that the stresses, although different, are only marginally (if at all) greater as you no longer need to allow for wind loading and the vertical-load-bearing walls now effectively have infinite thickness (and so much-reduced tendency to bow under load.) As for the insulative qualities of soil, ask anyone who's done construction in a snowy climate about "frost lines." The soil will absorb heat (cooling the room) all summer and then release it over the winter, as the owner of any wine cave or root cellar will tell you.

This blog page describes an earthship in Calgary where the indoor tetmperature is +18°C when the outdoor temperature is -18°C; I assume this is without artificial heat.

I agree the concept is not practical for high-density urban construction, but it does help develop technologies that are, such as green roofs or water capture.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 08:29:32 pm »

Well, a missile bunker complex is nothing more than a hobbit's reply to a skyscraper, and they work - so long as you keep the pumps going.  I think it would be most amusing to build an earth sheltered home over the top of one, and there's your mad scientist's lair!

Z
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 08:32:43 pm »

Well, a missile bunker complex is nothing more than a hobbit's reply to a skyscraper, and they work - so long as you keep the pumps going.  I think it would be most amusing to build an earth sheltered home over the top of one, and there's your mad scientist's lair!

Z
I can't cite a link, but I think it's already been done.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 08:33:17 pm »

Missile bunkers don't need to be cheap or easily maintained though.

As regards root cellars and wine caves, they do tend towards a constant temperature. However that's usually around 5 degrees and I'm not sure heating them to more than that would work well.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 08:46:17 pm »

As regards root cellars and wine caves, they do tend towards a constant temperature. However that's usually around 5 degrees and I'm not sure heating them to more than that would work well.
I think it's fairly common to open them up to cool in the winter to reach that temperature. If soil were a good conductor of heat, freezing surface temperatures would allow underground heat to dissipate quickly, allowing the ground to freeze solid much deeper than it does.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 09:27:30 pm »

How do we make a steampunk earthship then? If we avoid the "paint it brass" approach.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 09:34:49 pm »

How do we make a steampunk earthship then? If we avoid the "paint it brass" approach.

There are many ways. In design , decor and development.

The use of recycled materials and off grid living lend themselves to the steampunk ethos. Steam power could also have its place.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 09:44:25 pm »

Yes but I was looking for specific examples. It could be interesting to figure out.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 05:44:52 am »

Well, the interiors, being (generally) windowless or having fewer windows, could be done up to look like submarine interiors, complete with faux portholes. 

One could have various Steampunk-style gadgets protruding through the roof - chimneys, a wind turbine, that sort of thing.  Lots of possibilities there, including a small observation tower.

I think the entryway would be key.  Whether you want to keep it unassuming and less noticeable:

Perhaps a little more impressive:

Or in the Art Nouveau line:

Something more natural:

Or something just completely over the top:

Having the right entranceway sets the mood completely for what comes after.

Cheers!

Chas.

von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 07:17:36 pm »

Just do it up in Victorian décor and woodwork, maybe with some Art Nouveau bio-organic curves and flourishes here and there. The simple fact that you'd be living in an elegant stately hole in the ground would elevate the whole thing into the realm of Steampunk.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 03:39:38 pm »

Regarding underground construction being wet, the difference between success or failure is often the drainage design.  Both the ground surface and the layer immediately above the water proofing should drain to avoid developing hydrostatic pressure.

I do think vicwardian style woodwork makes a good finish inside a hobbit hole.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »

We've had these down the road for well over a millennium... http://britainexplorer.com/listing/kinver-edge-rock-houses-the-original-hobbit-holes/

Yours,
Miranda.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 08:47:31 pm »

We've had these down the road for well over a millennium... http://britainexplorer.com/listing/kinver-edge-rock-houses-the-original-hobbit-holes/

Yours,
Miranda.

AHHH not far from the Drakelow shadow factory then..........
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 09:18:00 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdLAM-wChxY

Food for thought.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 04:35:29 am »

"But what this has to do with Steampunk I don't know"

Well....

1- i saw many design with a Art Nouveau / Spanish Modernism feel to it.

2- it is maybe just me seeing thing throught a paganistic lens.

Truly curious:
I'm not understanding what you mean by this? How does your belief, in this present time, make you see this as Pagan and Steampunk or am I missing something besides the tie in with being one with nature?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 11:51:00 am »

Well it would be useful if you wanted to "hide" a village. You would of course have to do the same with the roads using spanning avenues of trees.

It possibly has some implications in traditionally wasted land like embankments, anywhere where the ground needs to resist subsidence with terracing really.

Tunnel ends were "sunk" using gravity. http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/tunnels/5.html
It is a fairly simple way of creating a sealed hole in the ground.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 01:19:57 pm »

In Australia they have the underground town of Coober Pedy. That was founded in 1915 though, so a bit too late.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: