The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 04:26:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween home haunts - what are you planning?  (Read 2273 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2017, 11:10:59 am »

I finally found a little time to take some pictures of our scare shed maze. Please note that the shed was darker than it appears in the pictures (it was too cold tonight to mess around with the camera settings to make it look like it does to the human eye...)

The entrance:

The first turn. The little chap in the top right lunges out with lit up eyes and chatters away when the pressure pad just in front of him is stepped on.

The second turn. Dracula there pops up to sound effects when his pressure pad is stepped on. His eyes were supposed to be glowing but the button batteries in the LED light behind them ran out far too quickly  Sad

The third turn looking to the left, with low-slung web to brush faces:

The third turn looking to the right. The glowing eyes are from the witch...

... who can be seen when going around the fourth turn.

The fifth turn. The head you can just about see is activated again by a pressure pad and pops up further, eyes aglow, mouth moving and saying suitably scary things.

There was one final turn to the exit door with a large spider that dropped down, but I guess one of the children got a bit spooked by that as when I went through after the party I found its string pulled out of its mechanism; something to fix before it's packed away for next year.

The children really liked it and said they weren't too scared, so  that gives us the freedom next year to make it a bit more frightening  Wink We're thinking rather then a maze have a couple of rooms in which the children have to solve puzzles while scares pop out at them, maybe consisting of a mad scientist's lab and an Egyptian tomb, so there's quite a bit of opportunity there to make them quite Steampunk.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Just to show how the thing was made, here's the framework we used to form the shape of the maze:

The pressure pads were made from the white rubber tiles you can see on the floor and linked into the normal tiles for the 'path' through the maze. A layer of foil was put under the tile, and, separated from this by some rubber tile edging, another layer of foil stuck onto cardboard. These were connected by crocodile clips to the scare's circuitry. Obviously, when someone steps on the tile it flexes allowing the two foil layers to come together to make the circuit. The connection was picked up by an interface connected to a computer, the control program then responded to this by triggering the scare and (for Dracula) playing a sound effect. Next time I'd like it to control some of the lighting too, for example to create a 'lightning' effect.

Blimey Miranda, this absolutely awesome!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2017, 11:41:15 pm »

Thank you!

We have Thanksgiving in North America, but sadly outside of some brown-orangey-leafy pretty décor, there is not much to hold Xmas wares as Thanksgiving is mostly centred around food. In fact in some ways Thanksgiving is a sort of "rehearsal" for Christmas dinner. Similar foods, and you get to choose which you want to do first before Xmas, Ham or Turkey. Because of that conundrum, I always chose a beef roast for Xmas.

We have a brief focus on bonfire night (also food related, although more of the 'what you can eat with your fingers whilst you watch stuff explode and burn' variety) but then it's full focus back on Christmas.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2017, 07:12:57 am »

Thank you!

We have Thanksgiving in North America, but sadly outside of some brown-orangey-leafy pretty décor, there is not much to hold Xmas wares as Thanksgiving is mostly centred around food. In fact in some ways Thanksgiving is a sort of "rehearsal" for Christmas dinner. Similar foods, and you get to choose which you want to do first before Xmas, Ham or Turkey. Because of that conundrum, I always chose a beef roast for Xmas.

We have a brief focus on bonfire night (also food related, although more of the 'what you can eat with your fingers whilst you watch stuff explode and burn' variety) but then it's full focus back on Christmas.

Yours,
Miranda.

Sadly I already hear Xmas music at my local super. They don't even care about the Thanksgiving. That's just "Pre-Christmas" to the managers...  Undecided

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: