The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 04:37:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween home haunts - what are you planning?  (Read 2110 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 03:54:03 pm »

Not a holiday we generally get in to, although there are some people picking up on it and carrying on with all sorts of stuff!  Grin
I think you need snow & ice for good effect.

It's still warm here in Texas, at near 30 C, and it doesn't stop anybody  Grin I'm not sure about snow though. Autumn is not that cold for many countries in the northern hemisphere. Usually the stereotypical motif in North America is pumpkins, falling orange and golden leaves (non perennial plants), dry grass. Basically plenty of orange and brown tones. The season colours are shared with Thanksgiving (Canada and later on US, basically October, November)

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2017, 08:27:57 pm »

I always hope it will not be too cold, as if it is that outfit you've slaved over ends up buried under a coat. However, this year we will be back in Whitby, so I am planning for arctic conditions and my Venice faux-fur stole will definitely be part of the outfit.

At home, for my youngest's party we're going to be having a 'scare shed'. We have a 16 foot by eight foot shed which we're going to divide up with temporary walls into a winding path with scares along the way. We have a prototype pressure pad working to trigger these but its needs a bit of refinement; the plan is to try to get it built next weekend, so more on this then (and hopefully some pictures, if we're not too busy just building the darn thing).

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2017, 11:06:13 pm »

I always hope it will not be too cold, as if it is that outfit you've slaved over ends up buried under a coat. However, this year we will be back in Whitby, so I am planning for arctic conditions and my Venice faux-fur stole will definitely be part of the outfit.

At home, for my youngest's party we're going to be having a 'scare shed'. We have a 16 foot by eight foot shed which we're going to divide up with temporary walls into a winding path with scares along the way. We have a prototype pressure pad working to trigger these but its needs a bit of refinement; the plan is to try to get it built next weekend, so more on this then (and hopefully some pictures, if we're not too busy just building the darn thing).

Yours,
Miranda.

You mean my uniform? Yeah, I got that taken care of though with the cape coat, but it's so hot now (today we went past 90 F, by all means Summer territory, so I doubt it will be cold at all this Halloween. Last Halloween I was sweating buckets 8pm just walking and taking the bus. The problem is December and January when there's a good chance to go to freezing weather on a moment's notice. For that you make sure to carry layers. The cropped jacket is ideal for cooler Autumn nights. I've been wearing it in the very early morning and night to the bus and the supermarket where it's cold (our buses should be called "ambulant refrigerators")
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:09:07 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 06:37:38 pm »

The ghost in that Austin house has collapsed! Seems the ghost did not survive the winds yesterday... Curious to see if they will raise it again.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2017, 08:00:13 pm »

The ghost in that Austin house has collapsed! Seems the ghost did not survive the winds yesterday... Curious to see if they will raise it again.

Shame; hopefully they will have it working again for the night itself.

Today we put up the 'skeleton' frame of the maze for the scare-shed using the Quadro construction system. In the 16 foot by 8 foot shed we've squeezed in ten ninety-degree turns with voids included to site the scares. Unfortunately we ran out of light before having the chance to take any pictures, but I'm sure we can remedy that next weekend, which will be pretty busy as we need to add in the 'walls' (draped fabric from the frame) and decorate it in a suitably horrifying manner.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »

Shame; hopefully they will have it working again for the night itself.

Today we put up the 'skeleton' frame of the maze for the scare-shed using the Quadro construction system. In the 16 foot by 8 foot shed we've squeezed in ten ninety-degree turns with voids included to site the scares. Unfortunately we ran out of light before having the chance to take any pictures, but I'm sure we can remedy that next weekend, which will be pretty busy as we need to add in the 'walls' (draped fabric from the frame) and decorate it in a suitably horrifying manner.

Yours,
Miranda.
Actually by last Sunday it was back up again!  Cheesy

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »

All the employees at the local super are in costume

In the last half hour I saw three characters from the Wizard of Oz including Dorothy. Harley Quinn in the registers. One the way here I saw a blind student's instructor dressed as Winnie the Pooh, and in the bus Hermione from Harry Potter.

Sadly, the day ended up being too cool and potentially rainy to be prancing around outside trick or treating in costume... Also my boss will not let me dress up for Halloween. I'm planning to perhaps attend a Steampunk event next week instead.

EDIT The super where I went has a tortilla making machine (unusual to see that anywhere) right in the middle for the public to see in action. The operator dressed in a Mexican dress with a crown of flowers and drew a monobrow on her forhead.. she dressed as Frida Kahlo  Cheesy The manager in the front went as Indiana Jones  Grin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:25:48 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:21 pm »

In the last half hour I saw three characters from the Wizard of Oz including Dorothy. Harley Quinn in the registers. One the way here I saw a blind student's instructor dressed as Winnie the Pooh, and in the bus Hermione from Harry Potter.

Sadly, the day ended up being too cool and potentially rainy to be prancing around outside trick or treating in costume... Also my boss will not let me dress up for Halloween. I'm planning to perhaps attend a Steampunk event next week instead.

EDIT The super where I went has a tortilla making machine (unusual to see that anywhere) right in the middle for the public to see in action. The operator dressed in a Mexican dress with a crown of flowers and drew a monobrow on her forhead.. she dressed as Frida Kahlo  Cheesy The manager in the front went as Indiana Jones  Grin

Sorry to hear you didn't get to indulge in some costume fun on the day. There's always tomorrow of course for the Day of the Dead. Over here last night was actually perfect; dry and not too cold (but with a slight chill in the air to make it feel seasonal). We had a great time at Avoncroft Museum (they always put on a fine display); here's a piccy of my outfit along with our Halloween tree (last year's small Christmas tree which, despite being potted and left outdoors, didn't survive the year):

The scare shed fright maze went down really well with my daughter's guests; I'll take some pictures before disassembling it to post up here soon.

Yours,
Miranda.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 07:30:31 pm »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is waiting for your childrens:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155350810552977&set=pb.711042976.-2207520000.1509481175.&type=3&theater

Picture from last year, this time I had the belt fed nerfgun!!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 07:40:38 pm »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is waiting for your childrens:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155350810552977&set=pb.711042976.-2207520000.1509481175.&type=3&theater

Picture from last year, this time I had the belt fed nerfgun!!

Those trick or treaters never stood a change of getting to the sweets, did they  Cheesy ?

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2017, 09:20:53 pm »

EDIT The super where I went has a tortilla making machine (unusual to see that anywhere) right in the middle for the public to see in action. The operator dressed in a Mexican dress with a crown of flowers and drew a monobrow on her forhead.. she dressed as Frida Kahlo  Cheesy The manager in the front went as Indiana Jones  Grin

Sorry to hear you didn't get to indulge in some costume fun on the day. There's always tomorrow of course for the Day of the Dead. Over here last night was actually perfect; dry and not too cold (but with a slight chill in the air to make it feel seasonal). We had a great time at Avoncroft Museum (they always put on a fine display); here's a piccy of my outfit along with our Halloween tree (last year's small Christmas tree which, despite being potted and left outdoors, didn't survive the year):

The scare shed fright maze went down really well with my daughter's guests; I'll take some pictures before disassembling it to post up here soon.

Yours,
Miranda.

You look fantastic!

Yeah, the weather was colder than forecasted, and worse, it started to rain. Remember Hyde Park, in the photos I posted here and in the Dream House thread?

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37460.msg986347.html#msg986347

Well apparently Hyde Park is the place to be in Halloween. I was dumbfounded when we got no visitors on Sunday (thinking children would make their appearance this weekend as opposed to a school day). And I didn't know that Hyde Park was the "Halloween Central" for Austin. I found that out from some one else (I remember that area for its college crowd mostly when I was attending university). However all the parents decided to take their kids out on Halloween proper, following an erroneous weather forecast that included very little to no rain that night with warmer temperatures. Guess what happened... Right about 9 pm when the park was absolutely full of children in the streets, and just after I got on the bus, we got hard torrential rain. The colder temperatures extracted more water from the air than was predicted. Not particularly cold for adults, but for children wearing costumes, that could be a problem.

I predict pediatricians will see a deluge of children this following week. What a disaster for the parents!

Today is the Day of the Dead and technically lasts two days (Nov. 1 and 2), but there are no events or plans anywhere in the city that I can see. I guess my next chance is a Steampunk Shindig over the weekend at our local "ghost town."

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49396.0.html

https://m.facebook.com/events/988045474634142

http://www.ghosttownaustin.com/

Outside of Austin, the closest is the Steampunk November festival in the South Dallas/Ft. Worth Area, the following weekend (Nov. 10-12). That may be harder for me to attend on the grounds that I don't personally know anyone from that area.

http://steampunknovember.com/

JW
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:46:17 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2017, 10:05:59 pm »

Quote from: Miranda.T
Those trick or treaters never stood a change of getting to the sweets, did they  Cheesy ?
Yours,
Miranda.

Oh I don't know S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a soft spot for teh 'widdle childrens and did let them at the Haribos!!!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2017, 10:49:15 pm »

(snip)

Well apparently Hyde Park is the place to be in Halloween. I was dumbfounded when we got no visitors on Sunday (thinking children would make their appearance this weekend as opposed to a school day). And I didn't know that Hyde Park was the "Halloween Central" for Austin. I found that out from some one else (I remember that area for its college crowd mostly when I was attending university). However all the parents decided to take their kids out on Halloween proper, following an erroneous weather forecast that included very little to no rain that night with warmer temperatures. Guess what happened... Right about 9 pm when the park was absolutely full of children in the streets, and just after I got on the bus, we got hard torrential rain. The colder temperatures extracted more water from the air than was predicted. Not particularly cold for adults, but for children wearing costumes, that could be a problem.

I predict pediatricians will see a deluge of children this following week. What a disaster for the parents!

Today is the Day of the Dead and technically lasts two days (Nov. 1 and 2), but there are no events or plans anywhere in the city that I can see. I guess my next chance is a Steampunk Shindig over the weekend at our local "ghost town."

(snip)

That is really bad luck - there must have been so many disappointed children yesterday. You can plan for the cold (lots of layers under the costume), but there's no hope with torrential rain (unless you've gone as the Creature from the Black Lagoon, I suppose...) Anyway, the 'Ghost Town' looks like the perfect place for a Steampunk meet; I hope the weather is more clement for that. A chance for some piccys of the latest iteration of your uniform, perhaps?

Oh I don't know S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a soft spot for teh 'widdle childrens and did let them at the Haribos!!!

I'm sure they were most grateful. So were the Nerf bolts for the teenagers who turn up with no attempt at a costume grumpily demanding sweets? One year we some of these turning up to 'trick or treat' a good three weeks before the 31st...

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2017, 11:05:56 pm »

(snip)

Well apparently Hyde Park is the place to be in Halloween.  *snip* Right about 9 pm when the park was absolutely full of children in the streets, and just after I got on the bus, we got hard torrential rain. The colder temperatures extracted more water from the air than was predicted. Not particularly cold for adults, but for children wearing costumes, that could be a problem.

*snip*

That is really bad luck - there must have been so many disappointed children yesterday. You can plan for the cold (lots of layers under the costume), but there's no hope with torrential rain (unless you've gone as the Creature from the Black Lagoon, I suppose...)

*snip*

Well they did get to trick or treat until past 9pm. That's already late for the kiddies anyway. I'm sure they got to do something by then. The problem is that being narrow streets there is no parking readily available, so every one must have walked more than a few blocks by the time the rain got started. The rain came with no warning whatsoever within a minute after 9 and on account of the great number of large trees and the night itself (it was quite dark by then) no one saw the clouds coming in  Grin.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:19:37 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:20 pm »

(snip)

*snip*

(snip)

*snip*
 Anyway, the 'Ghost Town' looks like the perfect place for a Steampunk meet; I hope the weather is more clement for that. A chance for some piccys of the latest iteration of your uniform, perhaps?

*snip*

Well that's what I'm aiming at. I can definitely stand the cold weather with the cape coat and I got the new spats to show off (which I have since properly stitched all over their perimeter). I even have leather gloves - non regulation in brown leather. The only thing is I need at least one more local Steampunk to go, because there are no buses or trains in that area and I needs me a ride Roll Eyes It is moderately separated from Austin near the town of Elgin, so this is "Hill Country" proper. I don't suppose I can borrow a horse?  Roll Eyes Grin

Even if I don't go anywhere, proper pictures will be forthcoming displaying the full ensemble.

For those locals interested:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:48:26 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2017, 07:13:05 am »

I enjoyed all your Halloween stuff - I love the effort people go to. Down here in Oz it is balmy and spring, and the sun doesn't go away until late, so it is really not very Halloweeny... At least this year it wasn't hot! Hot Halloween is not nice. I would love to do a Halloween garden - visited at night when can be made dark and spooky. It would need lots of sound and light set-up stuff. It would start with the "Path of Shrieking Snails" and go on to the "Giant Spider Tree" past the "Pond of Hopelessness" and up to the "Spooky Swings", then through the "Vegie Garden of Dread!" Trouble is, no-one visits to Trick or Treat around here, or if they do, it is during the daylight at 7:00 PM. Not very spooky walking through the garden in the spring sunshine. We should have Halloween on May 30th down here.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2017, 12:16:32 pm »

Why have Halloween at all, down here! Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2017, 08:27:44 pm »

Absolute global winner in the Halloween costume division:

Dog or Mop?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/dog-cleans-up-at-halloween-parade-with-ingenious-mop-costume/ar-AAufjPM

JW
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2017, 10:08:59 pm »

That is a remarkably impressive canine - and the cat at the bottom is just too cute!

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2017, 10:11:58 pm »

I enjoyed all your Halloween stuff - I love the effort people go to. Down here in Oz it is balmy and spring, and the sun doesn't go away until late, so it is really not very Halloweeny... At least this year it wasn't hot! Hot Halloween is not nice. I would love to do a Halloween garden - visited at night when can be made dark and spooky. It would need lots of sound and light set-up stuff. It would start with the "Path of Shrieking Snails" and go on to the "Giant Spider Tree" past the "Pond of Hopelessness" and up to the "Spooky Swings", then through the "Vegie Garden of Dread!" Trouble is, no-one visits to Trick or Treat around here, or if they do, it is during the daylight at 7:00 PM. Not very spooky walking through the garden in the spring sunshine. We should have Halloween on May 30th down here.

That does sounds rather nice; you could have a party beforehand and then have the assembled guests brave the Halloween garden once the witching hour strikes.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »

I finally found a little time to take some pictures of our scare shed maze. Please note that the shed was darker than it appears in the pictures (it was too cold tonight to mess around with the camera settings to make it look like it does to the human eye...)

The entrance:

The first turn. The little chap in the top right lunges out with lit up eyes and chatters away when the pressure pad just in front of him is stepped on.

The second turn. Dracula there pops up to sound effects when his pressure pad is stepped on. His eyes were supposed to be glowing but the button batteries in the LED light behind them ran out far too quickly  Sad

The third turn looking to the left, with low-slung web to brush faces:

The third turn looking to the right. The glowing eyes are from the witch...

... who can be seen when going around the fourth turn.

The fifth turn. The head you can just about see is activated again by a pressure pad and pops up further, eyes aglow, mouth moving and saying suitably scary things.

There was one final turn to the exit door with a large spider that dropped down, but I guess one of the children got a bit spooked by that as when I went through after the party I found its string pulled out of its mechanism; something to fix before it's packed away for next year.

The children really liked it and said they weren't too scared, so  that gives us the freedom next year to make it a bit more frightening  Wink We're thinking rather then a maze have a couple of rooms in which the children have to solve puzzles while scares pop out at them, maybe consisting of a mad scientist's lab and an Egyptian tomb, so there's quite a bit of opportunity there to make them quite Steampunk.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Just to show how the thing was made, here's the framework we used to form the shape of the maze:

The pressure pads were made from the white rubber tiles you can see on the floor and linked into the normal tiles for the 'path' through the maze. A layer of foil was put under the tile, and, separated from this by some rubber tile edging, another layer of foil stuck onto cardboard. These were connected by crocodile clips to the scare's circuitry. Obviously, when someone steps on the tile it flexes allowing the two foil layers to come together to make the circuit. The connection was picked up by an interface connected to a computer, the control program then responded to this by triggering the scare and (for Dracula) playing a sound effect. Next time I'd like it to control some of the lighting too, for example to create a 'lightning' effect.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:56:50 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2017, 12:20:07 am »

I finally found a little time to take some pictures of our scare shed maze. Please note that the shed was darker than it appears in the pictures (it was too cold tonight to mess around with the camera settings to make it look like it does to the human eye...)

The entrance:

The first turn. The little chap in the top right lunges out with lit up eyes and chatters away when the pressure pad just in front of him is stepped on.

The second turn. Dracula there pops up to sound effects when his pressure pad is stepped on. His eyes were supposed to be glowing but the button batteries in the LED light behind them ran out far too quickly  Sad

The third turn looking to the left, with low-slung web to brush faces:

The third turn looking to the right. The glowing eyes are from the witch...

... who can be seen when going around the fourth turn.

The fifth turn. The head you can just about see is activated again by a pressure pad and pops up further, eyes aglow, mouth moving and saying suitably scary things.

There was one final turn to the exit door with a large spider that dropped down, but I guess one of the children got a bit spooked by that as when I went through after the party I found its string pulled out of its mechanism; something to fix before it's packed away for next year.

The children really liked it and said they weren't too scared, so  that gives us the freedom next year to make it a bit more frightening  Wink We're thinking rather then a maze have a couple of rooms in which the children have to solve puzzles while scares pop out at them, maybe consisting of a mad scientist's lab and an Egyptian tomb, so there's quite a bit of opportunity there to make them quite Steampunk.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Just to show how the thing was made, here's the framework we used to form the shape of the maze:

The pressure pads were made from the white rubber tiles you can see on the floor and linked into the normal tiles for the 'path' through the maze. A layer of foil was put under the tile, and, separated from this by some rubber tile edging, another layer of foil stuck onto cardboard. These were connected by crocodile clips to the scare's circuitry. Obviously, when someone steps on the tile it flexes allowing the two foil layers to come together to make the circuit. The connection was picked up by an interface connected to a computer, the control program then responded to this by triggering the scare and (for Dracula) playing a sound effect. Next time I'd like it to control some of the lighting too, for example to create a 'lightning' effect.

That is really impressive! You could charge admission fees to the public!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2017, 05:19:56 am »

Why have Halloween at all, down here! Grin

1. Why have it anywhere? Why have St Patricks Day or Oktoberfest? Easter? Christmas? Immigrants to this continent brought all these things with them.
2. What else can we use to shield ourselves from the retailers putting out Christmas stuff in October?

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:16 pm »

Thank you; I was wondering if we did an outside display next year (we couldn't do one this year as we were out on Halloween night) whether to have a smaller version of this in the car port.

(snip)

2. What else can we use to shield ourselves from the retailers putting out Christmas stuff in October?

That is a very good point; at least the Halloween bric a brak holds back the tide of Christmas wares.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »

Thank you; I was wondering if we did an outside display next year (we couldn't do one this year as we were out on Halloween night) whether to have a smaller version of this in the car port.

(snip)

That is a very good point; at least the Halloween bric a brak holds back the tide of Christmas wares.

Yours,
Miranda.

We have Thanksgiving in North America, but sadly outside of some brown-orangey-leafy pretty décor, there is not much to hold Xmas wares as Thanksgiving is mostly centred around food. In fact in some ways Thanksgiving is a sort of "rehearsal" for Christmas dinner. Similar foods, and you get to choose which you want to do first before Xmas, Ham or Turkey. Because of that conundrum, I always chose a beef roast for Xmas.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:59:33 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: