The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 11:14:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween home haunts - what are you planning?  (Read 2123 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »

Just heard this afternoon that Pasadena and several of Houston's southeastern neighborhoods had been severly flooded in many spots; tornadoes ripped through La Porte and knocked down trees by the score, and damaged many homes. I haven't heard yet from the folks as to whether or not a relative of ours in Pasadena is OK; I assume she is, since Mom would have been crying if she weren't.

All in all, it seems I was ridiculously ignorant of the damage in the rest of Houston; we're kind of leery and tired of the TV media and TV in general these days, is my only excuse. sorry for not reporting accurately.

Not a problem; we don't even have television anymore (we cut the cable and are in an antennae dead spot; it's alright, 'though, as we find ourselves not really missing it that much). Sounds like the damage in our area could be worse than I know, as well...

La Porte, eh? Did anything happen over at San Jacinto?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 01:33:06 pm »

It occured to me that not everyone will "get" the costume the young man is wearing in the example I gave earlier, in particular those of you who would not know about the American television commercial in which the character appears.

The costume again, for reference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The commercial:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 07:29:15 pm »

(snip)
Did your children do that, or you? Either way, those are very well done.

All the children's work; the one on the left is the eldest's, and on the right is the youngest's (which her sister did help with).

Just heard this afternoon that Pasadena and several of Houston's southeastern neighborhoods had been severly flooded in many spots; tornadoes ripped through La Porte and knocked down trees by the score, and damaged many homes. I haven't heard yet from the folks as to whether or not a relative of ours in Pasadena is OK; I assume she is, since Mom would have been crying if she weren't.

All in all, it seems I was ridiculously ignorant of the damage in the rest of Houston; we're kind of leery and tired of the TV media and TV in general these days, is my only excuse. sorry for not reporting accurately.

I do hope everyone is well; is the weather in your state always this wild at this time of the year, or is this a 'freak' occurance?

No.  More like "worked-out," as in I had to work that day (I work 6 days a week).  Thunder or not, floods or none, I had to be at the store, as I am the one who closes the shop every day.

That is a great shame, but at least there is not long to await further festivities - any Steam-powered plans for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year? Hopefully ones with less added weather...

Yours,
Miranda.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 10:12:00 pm »

(snip)
Did your children do that, or you? Either way, those are very well done.

All the children's work; the one on the left is the eldest's, and on the right is the youngest's (which her sister did help with).

Clearly your children inherited your creative skills.

I do hope everyone is well; is the weather in your state always this wild at this time of the year, or is this a 'freak' occurance?

We've a saying here:  "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." We can have snow in the top part of the state at the same time people in the bottom part or anywhere along the Gulf of Mexico are in shorts with their fans on. If the temperature ever gets down to 85 degrees and there's a corresponding dip in the humidity, we consider that a cold front. We've had a long period of drought, and now it seems like we're trying to catch up all at once. Then we have our Blue Northerns, which sweep down with alarming speed and can drop the temperature 30 or 40 degrees in a matter of minutes. I have personally witnessed a wall of heavy rain not twenty feet from where I sat in full sunshine. You could predict where the ball will drop on a roulette wheel easier than you could predict our weather, and that's year-round. So I guess I would say that "freak occurrence" is actually our "normal".
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 01:38:57 am »

that's me, seems every year I end up having to shave for my costumes. The car isn't a delorean, it's a Bricklin SV1. So I guess the space time continuum got a bit jumbled on my trips back to the future.

Bloody hell, YOU are "Weird Al" Shocked & I claim my £5!.  Wink

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2016, 08:25:43 pm »

It's that time of year again... actually it's a bit late but due to events beyond our control we've been delayed with our preparations. Anyway, as I mentioned in another thread from last year, the plan is to for our display to give a nod to the classic Universal horror creatures. So, Drac is back in the coffin (with the pop-up mechanism mentioned above refurbished) and The Bride outfit I wore last year will be going on our dress-making mannequin. So that leaves The Creature and the Wolfman.

The Creature is a work in progress, with this being the results of today's endeavours:

His framework is just a wooden bar for the spine and another crossing it for the shoulders. The stiff arm pose is easily reproduced by the plastic bars (nice and light) and ribs from thin plastic piping. The face is a papercraft mask (this still needs the nose, ears and electrodes to be added). The trousers just dangle down from the lowest rib and are pulled over wellies at the ground. The whole lot is hung from the ceiling and must be getting on for 7 foot tall. We need to find a large grey T-shirt to cover the ribs and add a scarf for around the neck. The plan is to put a glow-stick behind the eyes. That leaves the hands - I was hoping to put on some of the severed limb props that are often around at this time of year, but thy don't seen to be in the shops this time around and one ones I have found are all right hands! I suppose we could use two of those and say he was sewn together by a really incompetent version of Victor Frankenstein  Cheesy.

The Wolfman will be really simple - we've brought a cheap mask and gloves and we're going to have those peaking over and around a cardboard tombstone we made today.

More on these as we get the group together, and please do post up your plans for this year's display.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 11:55:09 am »

It's almost time... well, for us it's been time for the last couple of days as we had a house party for our youngest and then a Halloween evening out at our local living history museum. Anyway, the display is finished and was ready to go for the party. Here's our little monster gang:

I'm happy to say this year, after a bit of work Drac is reliably popping up out of his coffin as people approach and elicited a few squeals from my daughter's friends.

I had to have a pose with them:

Presenting these classic monsters, Elvira seemed the natural choice for a costume this year. Here's the full length version:

This outfit is going to get a bit of a rework for future use. For next spring's WGW I'm going to add some jewelry to the wig front and back up and around the 'beehive' with fine chains linking them.The top is going to have some lace added to the front V to make it a bit more modest and, when paired with a colourful waist clincher or belt, will I hope make a nice Goth/Steampunk top.

Once we get the full display out tomorrow with all the pumpkins and such I might get another picture or two. Any pictures from anyone else here would be much appreciated - I love setting this stuff up but I also love seeing other people's work.

Yours,
Miranda.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »

Absolutely Fantastic!

You win in my books, great display of gruelsome characters, and Elvira the perfect accompaniment.

11/10..... Great stuff.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 01:09:51 pm »

Brilliant as always my dear Miranda.
We're not planning anything this year as we are off to Whitby tomorrow*, just to have a bit longer break there than usual and maybe visit some of the surrounding countryside before WGW actually starts.

*That is always presuming that someone finishes his(her) packing.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 01:25:20 pm »

As I'm still recovering from pleurisy I shall lay around impersonating a plague victim and watch TV.

That's it.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 12:17:06 am »

It's almost time... well, for us it's been time for the last couple of days as we had a house party for our youngest and then a Halloween evening out at our local living history museum. Anyway, the display is finished and was ready to go for the party. Here's our little monster gang:

I'm happy to say this year, after a bit of work Drac is reliably popping up out of his coffin as people approach and elicited a few squeals from my daughter's friends.

I had to have a pose with them:

Presenting these classic monsters, Elvira seemed the natural choice for a costume this year. Here's the full length version:

This outfit is going to get a bit of a rework for future use. For next spring's WGW I'm going to add some jewelry to the wig front and back up and around the 'beehive' with fine chains linking them.The top is going to have some lace added to the front V to make it a bit more modest and, when paired with a colourful waist clincher or belt, will I hope make a nice Goth/Steampunk top.

Once we get the full display out tomorrow with all the pumpkins and such I might get another picture or two. Any pictures from anyone else here would be much appreciated - I love setting this stuff up but I also love seeing other people's work.

Yours,
Miranda.

You look great as Elvira!  Cheesy

Well, I attended a Halloween party organized by a co-worker on Friday, and debuted the Airship Angel outfit  Cheesy  I must say it came out and performed fantastically well, but outside of a grainy photo that my co-worker took I don't have pictures of it. 

Watched "13 Ghosts" and played "Cards Against Humanity"  plus Beer Pong (with water in the cups - we're not crazy enough to make a mess like that)  Undecided  I drank too much though - I had forgotten what 4 beers and 3 shots of rum can do to your brain - no real hangover, but I'm getting a posthumous headache tonight Grin

It doesn't seem there is much happening today or tomorrow. No local Steampunks doing anything this weekend it seems. I had hoped there'd be something going on other than a coffee shop meeting which I can never attend.  If I hadn't gone to the party on Friday I would have regretted not doing anything.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2016, 11:42:39 pm »

Absolutely Fantastic!

You win in my books, great display of gruelsome characters, and Elvira the perfect accompaniment.

11/10..... Great stuff.

Thank you!

Brilliant as always my dear Miranda.
We're not planning anything this year as we are off to Whitby tomorrow*, just to have a bit longer break there than usual and maybe visit some of the surrounding countryside before WGW actually starts.

*That is always presuming that someone finishes his(her) packing.

I'm so jealous - have a wonderful time!

As I'm still recovering from pleurisy I shall lay around impersonating a plague victim and watch TV.

That's it.

Hope you get well soon. Rest and telly sounds like a good plan.

Well, I attended a Halloween party organized by a co-worker on Friday, and debuted the Airship Angel outfit  Cheesy  I must say it came out and performed fantastically well, but outside of a grainy photo that my co-worker took I don't have pictures of it. 

Watched "13 Ghosts" and played "Cards Against Humanity"  plus Beer Pong (with water in the cups - we're not crazy enough to make a mess like that)  Undecided  I drank too much though - I had forgotten what 4 beers and 3 shots of rum can do to your brain - no real hangover, but I'm getting a posthumous headache tonight Grin

It doesn't seem there is much happening today or tomorrow. No local Steampunks doing anything this weekend it seems. I had hoped there'd be something going on other than a coffee shop meeting which I can never attend.  If I hadn't gone to the party on Friday I would have regretted not doing anything.

It's a shame about not having a chance for 'photos - but if you're busy having fun there often isn't time to get many. Anyhow, great to hear the outfit was a success, but again a shame that it didn't get more use over the weekend.

Well, the season is pretty much done here. I'm happy to report that we managed to give a healthy scare to the local Trick or Treaters, and one or two of their parents too!

This is the run up to our display with the interior light off:

Then with the light on:

So, time to start planning next year  Grin

Yours,
Miranda.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2016, 12:28:45 am »

I've been ill for the last few days so I was grateful to manage anything at all.
Sainsburys had a skull and arms designed to be stuck in your lawn as part of a spooky graveyard theme. I fitted the arms through my letterbox and put the skull in the hands.  I added a few bat silhouettes to windows Then I wore a purple velvet gown with red diamante jewellery and held a skull lorgnette mask to answer the door.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2016, 06:04:12 am »

It's a shame about not having a chance for 'photos - but if you're busy having fun there often isn't time to get many. Anyhow, great to hear the outfit was a success, but again a shame that it didn't get more use over the weekend.

Well, the season is pretty much done here. I'm happy to report that we managed to give a healthy scare to the local Trick or Treaters, and one or two of their parents too!

The season is not entirely over here. We still have the increasingly popular "Day of the Dead" over here, which is today, November 1. Before you joined the Brassgoggles' Forum I used to go on long rants about the Day of the Dead:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27548.0.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/spirit-of-day-of-the-dead-crosses-border_n_1067851.html

Alas, it looks like having Halloween on Monday really killed the holiday, and so I fear that the minority Day of the Dead will not fare any better. I didn't even get any trick or treaters this evening. Nothing. My co-worker went to the 6Th Street bar district downtown and he said that on Saturday it was a zoo down there and that people were wearing costumes. Which I guess is entirely predictable as Saturday is the busiest day for 6Th. St. anyway.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2016, 08:04:18 pm »

I've been ill for the last few days so I was grateful to manage anything at all.
Sainsburys had a skull and arms designed to be stuck in your lawn as part of a spooky graveyard theme. I fitted the arms through my letterbox and put the skull in the hands.  I added a few bat silhouettes to windows Then I wore a purple velvet gown with red diamante jewellery and held a skull lorgnette mask to answer the door.

Hope you are feeling better now; there are some nasty bugs around at the moment. In any case, its sounds like your decorations and outfit were spookily effective.

The season is not entirely over here. We still have the increasingly popular "Day of the Dead" over here, which is today, November 1. Before you joined the Brassgoggles' Forum I used to go on long rants about the Day of the Dead:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27548.0.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/spirit-of-day-of-the-dead-crosses-border_n_1067851.html

Alas, it looks like having Halloween on Monday really killed the holiday, and so I fear that the minority Day of the Dead will not fare any better. I didn't even get any trick or treaters this evening. Nothing. My co-worker went to the 6Th Street bar district downtown and he said that on Saturday it was a zoo down there and that people were wearing costumes. Which I guess is entirely predictable as Saturday is the busiest day for 6Th. St. anyway.

That sugar skull is very cute; it wouldn't last long around our youngest, though... Yes, Monday is not the best day for the event. I was thinking it's a shame Halloween isn't like New Year with a bank holiday following it; then you could really go to town.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 10:17:31 pm »

Well, its coming up to that time again, so I do hope the good denizens of Brassgoggles will be posting up lashings of creepy creations for the season; for me a least a lot of the fun of this festival is looking at the work of others (costumes, decorations, mechanisms etc.) and then stealing being inspired by these ideas. We'll need to get making for our annual display soon, but as an initial post I thought I'd mention that here in the UK Hobbycraft already has in plenty of Halloween themed materials to start working with.

Yours,
Miranda.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 09:12:28 pm »

I've just bought a new pair of socks in black with a huge white skeleton hand creeping up them.
CyanideCandy
Deck Hand
Poland Poland

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »

I don't celebrate Halloween. In fact, I don't celebrate anything. At all.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:47 pm »

I've just bought a new pair of socks in black with a huge white skeleton hand creeping up them.

Those repscallion skeletons - groping a lady's ankles!  Roll Eyes

Well, it's not so much 'celebrate' for us (we don't stay up until midnight to start start throwing eye of newt and wing of bat into a cauldron or anything like that) but it's an excuse to be a bit silly and give the local trick-or-treaters (and one or two of their accompanyng adults too) a jolly good scare (followed up by some sweets, of course). Also, although I've made a bit of a resolution to try to stop wearing black all the time and get a bit more colour into my Steampunk outfits, I don't need to feel too guilty about being decidedly noir for the season's events.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:43:43 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 10:44:51 pm »

Those repscallion skeletons - groping a lady's ankles!  Roll Eyes

Well, it's not so much 'celebrate' for us (we don't stay up until midnight to start start throwing eye of newt and wing of bat into a cauldron or anything like that) but it's an excuse to be a bit silly and give the local trick-or-treaters (and one or two of their accompanyng adults too) a jolly good scare (followed up by some sweets, of course). Also, although I've made a bit of a resolution to try to stop wearing black all the time and get a bit more colour into my Steampunk outfits, I don't need to feel too guilty about being decidedly noir for the season's events.

Yours,
Miranda.

For me it's all about the fun. It's probably the only time of the year when I  get to dress up, outside of conventions and the like.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:18 pm »

People are getting an early start to Halloween in Austin, and in this case about a week ago, this household decided to install a Halloween display using the same approach as in Christmas. In this case they arranged a giant spectral apparition :

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2017, 06:10:54 pm »

People are getting an early start to Halloween in Austin, and in this case about a week ago, this household decided to install a Halloween display using the same approach as in Christmas. In this case they arranged a giant spectral apparition :

Rather early to have the display up, but mightily impressive!

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2017, 09:13:39 pm »

Rather early to have the display up, but mightily impressive!

Yours,
Miranda.

The translucent ghost is probably 2 times as large as an adult, and apparently is made of some sort of UV reactive gossamer. It lights up in an instant, together with sound effects, and then it flickers on and off. The flickering is not so convincing though; they should instead very slowly phased the light in and out.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 07:24:15 am »

It is spring down here, so it get very difficult to imagine scary things when the birds and bees are buzzing joyously about and flowers are rife. We also have Daylight Saving, so 'evening' is very late in the day and frightening things don't look so terrible in the harsh Australian sunlight. I do enjoy looking at your costumes and props though! Keep them coming!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 11:49:17 am »

Not a holiday we generally get in to, although there are some people picking up on it and carrying on with all sorts of stuff!  Grin
I think you need snow & ice for good effect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: